Ownership Verified: Joined the Land Yacht Club. '88 Ford LTD Crown Vic Wagon

Finalgear: Miatas, Mustangs and mamouth Ford wagons.
The Hoon Trinity. :D

Got a Class III hitch ordered. Probably gonna do tires/wheels sooner rather than later too. It really should have good tires on it before I drive too far. Plus, goddamn I hate the wheels.

If you want any grip, don't get Cooper Cobra GT's... And the old stock tire sizes have shit for good tire options. Just a few all seasons that aren't very good.

And the old stock tire sizes have shit for good tire options.

*looking at his 31x9 rears* What's a "stock tire size"? :p

Seriously, you take any online tire calculator and choose tires for similar end gearing. (that's IF you care about stock speedo readings) ;)

Joined the Land Yacht Club. '88 Ford LTD Crown Vic Wagon

*looking at his 31x9 rears* What's a "stock tire size"? :p

Seriously, you take any online tire calculator and choose tires for similar end gearing. (that's IF you care about stock speedo readings) ;)

I'm not very smart. I don't know how to do that.

I've used tire size calculators to match stock size (wider, not as tall) to retain accurate speedo but that's it.

Last edited:
Alright, little update. Started my trip later than I wanted, should've taken more pics too, but I've gone from Virginia to Kansas City. Took the boring way, I-64 to St. Louis then I-70 to KC.

ivYFRdC.jpg

All loaded up. Still haven't painted that VFR. Damn I hate yellow.

RpUYNLe.jpg

Scraped this more than once.

CDlexya.jpg

Stopped for breakfast in Williamsburg.

VWQVfuN.jpg

West Virginia really made me wish I did this trip on the bike. Gorgeous country, great roads. But I was pushing the wagon too hard on some of the steeper grades and it got hot enough to crack the heater control valve on the upper heater hose. Had to backtrack to the nearest parts store, get a splice, let it cool, and so on. Wasted a bunch of time all because I was trying to go too fast.

yUdfUOD.jpg

wZoVmaa.jpg

This is what most of Kentucky looked like. Road construction and blown out tires everywhere. Still had pretty scenery at least. I ran over something outside Louisville that gave my right front tire a slow leak. Took that as an opportunity to stop for a late dinner. Afterwards, a can of fix-a-flat had me on the road again. Later I stopped somewhere in Indiana to take a nap for a couple hours. Blew through St.Louis and most of Missouri before dawn.

Then when I was getting close to Kansas ...

2hzLkHb.jpg

Cue the Wizard of Oz. Don't know about a wicked witch but there's definitely flying monkeys in the Statehouse. Anyway, I'm gonna enjoy a couple weeks at home before I hit the road again for Seattle.

aW2o8Qe.jpg

Bonus Teepee Junction.

Reactions: lip
Compared to Grip's it's more compact. It's still 211" long. Like 5.3m. I've owned smaller trucks. :lol:

That's smaller than I would have thought. My Lincoln Mark VIII was 207" long. I always knew it was big for a coupe, but I didn't realize it was full size station wagon big.

Hijackers might be a useful upgrade to your rear suspension :)
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It needs new shocks anyway. I'd miss the 'floating' ride-quality though. Or not. :lol:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It needs new shocks anyway. I'd miss the 'floating' ride-quality though. Or not. :lol:
I upgraded to Hijackers. Did not change the floatyness.

KYB Gas-a-Just monotubes are fantastic...

Just sayin'

Good to know. I had them on an '84 Cutlass and they really firmed up the ride. But that car was several hundred pounds lighter.

KYB Gas-a-Just monotubes are fantastic...

Just sayin'
Yeah I remember you saying they were working real nice. They're pretty reasonably priced too. Maybe I'll do those in the front, hijackers in the back. Think I've got a u-joint that needs replaced so I've got to get under the car anyway.

Don't remember if I asked, do your passenger doors have cigarette lighters in the ash trays line mine?

Was the same with my Buick, the highjackers didn't make it less boat like :p

Don't remember if I asked, do your passenger doors have cigarette lighters in the ash trays line mine?
Ash trays in all of them haha. I think there's only one lighter though.

The boat made it to Washington. Mostly intact. I'll get some pics up tonight.

Alright, about time I got to this. This is gonna be a pretty damned big dump, so you've been warned. I put off uploading pics from my fucking potato of a phone ... then I broke the damned thing. Finally got the pics off it.

This is the second half of the adventure. The Vic has already gone the 1,200 miles from Virginia Beach to Kansas City. These crappy pictures span about 1,900 miles between Kansas City and Seattle. Worst part? When I got to Seattle I remembered that I had a decent digital camera in one of the boxes in the wagon. <_<

Anyway, old Brutus wasn't happy I was leaving. He wouldn't hold still for a pic, but he wouldn't get out of the damn car either. Look at this stink eye he was giving me.

YVPkLx4.jpg

Rolled back through Teepee again because I took state highways for the first half of the trip. From Kansas City; 24W, 77N, 36W for a looong time. And yeah, like an idiot I didn't do the air shocks. She rides low but she rides smoooth! :D

cGM1NsY.jpg

Ah western Kansas. You better believe I was barreling down that highway blasting 'stoner rock'.

jVjvD44.jpg

Unfortunately I hit a deer that night near the Kansas/Nebraska line. Sorry if this is a little grisly to some of you. According to the trucker behind me I, "fuckin smoked that deer!" Deer ran full speed into the side of the Vic, slapped into the side and ate the trailer. Fortunately the VFR was unharmed. Deer was not. The trucker and I walked back down the highway and found him. Little buck had snapped his neck. Not surprising considering he left a fucking face print on the Vic.

Horn marks:

orhdZaw.jpg

Face:

UwJgOTJ.jpg

And where his ass spun around and smashed this previously flawless fender. Motherfucker. :

jYFTrQe.jpg

iFlY2dH.jpg

There's still blood and hair on the tailgate. Haven't washed it off yet because 1) I'm still mad. 2) I've just been riding my VFR.

That's that. Sorry for the grisly sidetrack, back to the road! I took 83N up to North Platte, Nebraska. Hopped on I-80W for a little bit there, branching off on 26W. Cutting across the SW corner of the state. I honestly didn't even realize the highway shadowed the Oregon Trail until different places triggered memories of the game. :lol:

Still, most of my views of the state looked like this:

NfhWYrv.jpg

So on to Wyoming. Damned desolate Wyoming. The Crown Vic was humming right along, but it didn't like doing both 80mph and running the AC. So the AC was off. And I was praying to catch any of these rain clouds. Never did. They taunted me all the way to Casper.

DdKqEHq.jpg

This is where I got kind of stressed. I'd wanted to make it to Yellowstone by nightfall. I didn't even bother stopping in Casper for gas. Figured there'd be truck stops or something later. Well 26 highway west of Casper is truly fucking desolate. There's nothing out there except for a handful of tough SOB's living off the high plains.

rZ3k0rV.jpg

Still, I stopped to see "Hell's Half-Acre". Was not disappointed. Like a mini Grand Canyon or something. Native Americans used to stampede buffalo into there for food and hides. Brutal.

YJqig3I.jpg

Then I found myself a little oasis. For uh, reasons, I wasn't snapping pics with my phone. I parked in front of the old school pumps, no one was around. I go inside and there's two guys waving Mossberg pumps around, arguing about which one is heavier. They see me and promptly shove the two shotguns into my hands and want to know which one was heavier.

My actual reaction: :lmao:

The younger of the two guys came out to flip the gas pump on and we talked motorcycles for awhile. He'd accumulated a dozen pretty solid dirtbikes and enduros. Mostly big 4-strokes. He had a pair of (iirc) Yamaha XT500's and if I wanted I could hop on one and go with him to check some wells like 5 miles out.

90% of my brain was like, "THAT WOULD BE AWESOME". The other 10% was telling me, "This weirdo could kill your ass out there and take your glorious VFR." I sided with the VFR bit of my brain and politely declined. Still, if I'm ever running down 26 through Wyoming again, I'm totally stopping there. Whether I need gas or not.

iijZpIA.png

Anywho, I kept blasting across Wyoming till it got more scenic.

VuMch4Z.jpg

Got up into the Bridger-Teton National Forest and had to let the Vic cool a bit. This was facing back east. I've got a bunch of other pics but my potato phone could seem to handle the glare looking west.

3Tl8nYM.jpg

Got just south of Yellowstone and decided a campground with a gas station, this view, showers, and *cough* a bar, was a damned fine place to spend the night.

EAYDnp5.jpg

View only got better when I started pluggin along at dawn the next morning ...

oyad148.jpg

This brings us into Yellowstone. I probably took more pics hiking around Yellowstone in 6 hours than I took the rest of the trip combined. I'll spare you all (most of) those toaster-quality pics, but if you're ever remotely near there, go. Go to fucking Yellowstone. It's a strange and beautiful place.

kvGb5Ga.jpg

Had to see Old Faithful. This is from like a half-mile away and a few hundred feet up. And I've known for a long time that it's not the only geyser in the park. Not even close. But there's geysers and hot springs everywhere. Everywhere. Really, go there if you ever have the chance. It's incredible.

ioMfFeM.jpg

The colors Duke, the colors!

tIs7iSJ.jpg

Some places have some pretty damn metal names. I think this is BLACK WARRIOR lake or something like that.

tXxjk0g.jpg

The Yellowstone park map actually outlines the estimated caldera area. So you know you're driving across a giant, ancient super volcano. Good times.

JhWZxRn.jpg

I sucked it up and left Yellowstone. Didn't want to but I needed to keep on the road. Hit West Yellowstone, MT and started barreling down 191N to Bozeman. From there I got on I-90W, rolling through Butte and Missoula. I used to wonder why the fuck anyone would live in Montana, but after driving through the western part of the state I totally get it. Gorgeous up there. This pic doesn't remotely do it justice. There's just huge rolling hills of farm and ranch land in places. Really gorgeous.

MdGz4Sh.jpg

Ended up stopping for dinner in Wallace, ID. Really nice little old mining town. Probably should've stopped there for the night, but there was still daylight and I wanted to get into WA.

nXguraS.jpg

Ended up blowing through to Spokane, WA in the night. Stopped at a truck stop west of town to finally get some sleep. Woke up in the morning thinking I'd hallucinated the previous 24 hours and was still in Kansas.

l9SWxCA.jpg

Fortunately I was wrong.

fNyUbMT.jpg

I need to get a final "the blue bastard made it all the way west" shot, but this'll do for now. This is from somewhere in the Cascades, maybe an hour and a half from where I'm at now. I'll post some better Washington pics when I make a thread for my VFR. Because I keep forgetting to do that. Always something.

For those of you that stuck through that massive dump, thank you. Hope you enjoyed that trip a little. I had a fucking blast. Now I need to get to work on the Vic to make sure it handles the next road trip even better. It needs more pooower!

iOGsQQk.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome write-up. I really want to drive somewhere over there at some point.

Nice trip. That town reminds me of Michigan's Upper Peninsula and all the little towns. To bad about the deer, but you should have cut yourself off a steak and cooked it under the hood. :lol:

Fuck deer, Goddamn rats with hooves.

I really need to visit Wyoming and Montana someday, I haven't really been off the east coast other than living in the UK for two years (and visiting most of Western Europe), visiting Vegas and the Grand Canyon.