Post-Vintage 1936 Standard 12. It's a little rough.

That's such a savage thing to do.
Or get rid of the side panels altogether for increased airflow. Gives you space to route the exhaust through, as well...

Why hot rod it at all? Just restore it and enjoy it.
Because hot rod. Judging from Andeh's post it wasn't a good car to begin with and right now it's in a state where rat rodding it, even with custom-made engine mounts, a rear axle replacement, custom driveshaft, possibly an upgraded front suspension, upgraded brakes, custom exhaust, the works, will be cheaper than restoring it to any condition even close to concourse.

Not only that but since it isn't old enough to be vintage nor (no offence intended) interesting enough to warrant a concourse restoration rodding it is probably the best way to enjoy it.

Have you tried turning the engine over?

I haven't yet, but I turned on the block tap and found lovely clean antifreeze in it, combined with the rest of the parts being free, I suspect it should be okay. I'm going to head up one night this week and see if I can turn it over using the handle. Then I'l take the carb off, clean it, change the oil, stick a jerry can on a pipe, and see if I can make it run.

That looks very good for a restoration project, then to sell it on.

Good find. :cool:

This one isn't a keeper, I'll recommission it and then move it on I suspect. The plan is definitely oily rag, no cosmetic improvements at all, just keep it how it is and preserve the patina.

Is that colour original, as it looks very jolly for a 1930s car and do you have the old original paper Log Book for it? :?

I'm unsure if it's original, but it is a Standard colour scheme, I've seen a few others in a similar shade. You'd be surprised how lurid car colours were in the 20s and 30s at times, it's modern tastes which changed and resulted in many becoming drab.

I don't have the old paper log book in my possession, or a log book at all. I do have a dating certificate however, so I'm beginning the process of getting a new age related plate from the DVLA for the car.

Because hot rod. Judging from Andeh's post it wasn't a good car to begin with and right now it's in a state where rat rodding it, even with custom-made engine mounts, a rear axle replacement, custom driveshaft, possibly an upgraded front suspension, upgraded brakes, custom exhaust, the works, will be cheaper than restoring it to any condition even close to concourse.

It is very tempting to hot rod the thing, and perhaps if I fall a bit more in love with it, I will, but it's really out of my budget and skill (I've never done anything custom before, and this would be all custom), so it'd become a very long term project for me.

An inline six should go in fine, along with a number of other engines. I think a Rover V8 would be a tad wide, but as you say, hot rod, bin the side panels.

Not sure I could really live with myself though, as I do like an original car.

In the mean time, I'll have a cool rat look/oily rag car for peanuts, that I could sell on and recover all my cash. Plus it'll look great at the work's car park.

Not only that but since it isn't old enough to be vintage nor (no offence intended) interesting enough to warrant a concourse restoration rodding it is probably the best way to enjoy it.

It's definitely not worth a concours resto unless you were Standard mad, and I agree it isn't really interesting. It's interesting for the condition it is in mostly, and I think it'd be pretty cool to ride around in for a summer before moving it on. As I said though, maybe I'll change my tune if I start to like it more!

Just curious - how much did you get it for? If I may ask.

Use a Granada V6 drivetrain. The 2.8i will do just fine :)
The problem with that is that any British car built in a shed between 1965 and 1985 does exactly that. Even Princess Anne had one of them.

It's a hot rod, any V8 is a good V8! You could pull a GenIII Hemi and NAG1 out of a wrecked 300C, I know you got them over there. You can get standalone management systems for both the engine and trans.

Yep, the Rover V8 has the advantage of being a V8. Probably is lighter than the I4 in the car right now, as well.

If you treat it like Americans do their hot rods, it could be possible, as in using existing parts from existing cars to mix and match.

Being in europe.. big beefy US rear axles aren't as common, so we use Jaguar rear axles for "hot rodding"
While there are a few Mustang II's here, you can't really get the front suspension set up from it.. as they aren't usually wrecked, so i'm not sure what'd be a good swap there, maybe BMW e30?
The Rover V8 is a good engine for it really, as it's pretty light, but you could use anything really. Go JDM and stuff in a CA18DET or SR20DET? :p you practically get Vauxhall parts thrown at you in the UK, so maybe a C20LET? :p
It's pretty much up to your imagination and what you like and want, be it just getting it workin as is, or making a british hot rod.

Being in europe.. big beefy US rear axles aren't as common, so we use Jaguar rear axles for "hot rodding"
Jag rear suspensions are frequently scavenged by US hot rodders too as they were among the most common independent rears available in junkyards. Even now you see people selling old Jags with specific wording regarding "good rear end for hot-rodding" :mwf:

The good thing with mustang II suspensions is, that they are double wishbone. Fitting a macpherson e30 into a hot rod is a huge challenge.

A cortina/taunus/granada front end is most similar to a mustang II setup.

Last edited:
Oh, Fuck yes! Actually far prefer this to the Austin Seven.. Great find!

If you treat it like Americans do their hot rods, it could be possible, as in using existing parts from existing cars to mix and match.

The good thing with mustang II suspensions is, that they are double wishbone. Fitting a macpherson e30 into a hot rod is a huge challenge.

A cortina/taunus/granada front end is most similar to a mustang II setup.
Yep. Rover V8 (and matching gearbox), Jag rear axle and a Ford/Leyland parts bin front end sounds like the most reasonable way to go.

Great find!

If you end up going to where you have never been (hope you'r wearing Camel boots) and start building it I would suggest to do following.

Yep, Rover V8, that's the way to hot rod. But lets forget the Rover part of it and get an TVR V8, same engine but bored to 4.9 and grande mucho powah!
Where will you find Mustang II front suspension in UK that wont break the bank? Yep, that's what I thought too, soo... Your island is full of Mazda MX-5 (I know, I've bought many, many, many of them) and Miata has double wishbone suspension and whole front axle can be unbolted easily. Bonus is that MX-5 don't cost anything at all and you can get money back by parting the rest of it, just dont buy rusted one. Also you can get the rear suspension with diff as well, also easily unbolted and if you buy 1.8 MX-5, by the ammount of turbo'd and SuperCharged Miata's, rear diff (with LSD off course) will handle what you can throw it with said TVR 4.9 V8 offers.

Last edited:
Also you can get the rear suspension with diff as well, also easily unbolted and if you buy 1.8 MX-5, by the ammount of turbo'd and SuperCharged Miata's, rear diff (with LSD off course) will handle what you can throw it with said TVR 4.9 V8 offers.
Considering the Honda S2000 uses that same diff and breaks it even in stock applications, I highly doubt it will last under the torque of a V8.