Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The L6s are reliable. They don't catch on fire and pop off dizzys like the V12s. :p

Yup, and the 4.0/manual was the most reliable variant with the least problems. It actually had that aluminum six longer than any other model. Not to mention extremely rare in the US, less than a few hundred were ever imported and they were just about as fast as the V12s.

Last edited:
From Wikipedia:
1992 thru 1994 were the only years the 6-cylinder with 5-speed manual transmission XJS was exported to the United States. Exact production figures are unknown, though it is likely there are fewer than ten.

:wall:

Now granted, it sounds like the editor pulled those figures out of his butt, but I bet the 5 speed XJS is still a rare critter.

At the risk of aggravating myself further, I'm going to see if I can find out how many E32 BMWs were imported to the US with the 5 speed manual as well.

EDIT: From the Bimmerboard forums - "There were just over 400 of these imported between 1988 - 1990"

BOB SAGET!!!

Last edited:
I know it's more than ten for those years, because I've seen or known who owned at least eleven.

Also, there were 3.6L manuals imported prior to that, but not as a regular production or sales item, mostly for dealership owners and Jaguar Cars North America brass. Plus the usual gray market and military imports. Overall, less than a few hundred total.

Also Dellows in Australia (though they're hard to get ahold of) if you favor the Toyota 5 speed manual or the Supra 6 speed or have a member of the two I-6 families.

Last edited:
Wow, reread what you just wrote. Ignore that it is a Volvo. Does that follow any sense?

If it has been in an accident the unibody could have been tweaked.

Many used cars with 100k miles have been in a wreck at some point of their life, even if the CarFax doesn't show it. Of course, I'll have to test drive it extensively first and if it feels right - I don't see why not.

Also, unlike the S60 I have researched these cars a lot (as it's basically a jumped-up 850). They are relatively easy and cheap to fix.

Yes, but usually they are repaired properly. A mismatching wheel may and often does indicate halfarsed repairs.

Also, most cars don't get in a wreck that's severe enough to destroy a wheel. That takes special skill or bad luck. If you are in a wreck that's bad enough to demolish your wheel beyond repair, typically your subframe and attached suspension get bent pretty badly first. Wheels are one of the strongest parts of the car. Takes one hell of a lot to break one that's not a low profile-wrapped 19+ inch alloy, and those emphatically are not.

Last edited:
That could very well be. But these wheels are fairly rare, it's possible they couldn't find a silver one. In the event I do buy it, I'll probably paint all four anthracite (I know the paint code already, it's a popular Volvo "upgrade").

That could very well be. But these wheels are fairly rare, it's possible they couldn't find a silver one. In the event I do buy it, I'll probably paint all four anthracite (I know the paint code already, it's a popular Volvo "upgrade").

Uhh... IPD still sells those wheels. In silver, not gray.

That tells me someone half-assed it.

Uhh... IPD still sells those wheels. In silver, not gray.

That tells me someone half-assed it.

No, they don't. And when they did, they only get a shipment once a year and all the popular wheels (Pegs and Comets) are sold out in a matter of days.

But like I said, when I get to Denver I will thoroughly inspect the car. At this point I'm so familiar with the front suspension and most of the engine mechanics that I don't even have to take it to a mechanic for inspection. I will notice if anything is not right.

Although, I would like to get a compression test and I doubt the seller will let me do it.

Edit: Also, Labcoatguy: If you are talking about the color of that first of two Jaguars argatoga linked to, that is Nautilus Blue. Jaguar's color code for it is PDV, and it is a pearl or metallic flake paint.
1997_jaguar_xk8_base_burlingame_ca_93239621170262132.jpg

I was referring to this color, which is less blue and more gray:
P1020640.jpg

No, they don't. And when they did, they only get a shipment once a year and all the popular wheels (Pegs and Comets) are sold out in a matter of days.

They still have them on offer. And I thought those were Odysseus wheels, but I guess they're Comets.

However, that makes it worse, because Comets are still stocked here:

http://www.swedishautoparts.com/V70/Volvo-V70-Rims.html

I was referring to this color, which is less blue and more gray:
View attachment 4673

Yeah, that's dude's camera screwed up or it's a repaint. I emailed him and got the paint and trim codes just to make sure.

paint-PDV trim-NDR .... vin SAJHX1745TC762127

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at -REDACTED- PM, -REDACTED- <-REDACTED-> wrote:
Regarding the XJ6 you have for sale ? what?s the color and trim codes on it (should be on the door tag)? Thanks.

--
Greg Davis
(303)916-6493 (Cell)
(720)974-4845 (Office)
greg.carboard@gmail.com
www.Carboardco.com <http://www.carboardco.com/>

Edit:
Is this more the sort of colors you had in mind?

photo.php

Ice Blue.

E1704B.jpg

Jade Green (essentially the same as the old Alpine Green and the rather unusual color of my Series III)

Last edited:
Yeah, that's dude's camera screwed up. I emailed him and got the paint and trim codes just to make sure.
Wow, that is a screwed-up camera. That, Titanium Metallic, and Kingfisher Blue are my favorites.

Last edited:
Wow...who pays $500 for a single rim for a Volvo? :)

Insurance companies. And people needing to do the job right who can't find them anywhere else.

Wow, that is a screwed-up camera. That, Titanium Metallic, and Kingfisher Blue are my favorites.

I edited my above post to add in a couple of others that might be closer to what you had in mind. Also, it struck me that the car might be a respray in which case all bets are off.

Kingfisher Blue and Nautilus Blue are (IIRC) pretty much about the same color but not quite.

Do keep in mind that lighting makes a HUGE difference on a lot of the Jaguar colors. In dim light or overcast skies my Series III looks more gray than anything else but under bright overhead sunlight the green comes out quite nicely. And in some light it just looks silver.

Same car, same camera, different lighting.

HPIM0808_001.jpg

HPIM0899.jpg

It's really rather strange that way. Oh well. Normal is boring. :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
So I've worked it out as we used ?526.38 worth of petrol on 7 days, covering 2,687 miles at an average of 35.2mpg. An excellent way to warm up the atmosphere. :)