Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Wasn't that a turbo diesel E-class? That is hardly a small engine, especially if you count the size of the turbos in the displacement, which you can. Not to mention his speedo is in KM/H, and we are all talking in MPH. In my pic, I'm doing about 135km/h in a vehicle that has the aerodynamic properties of a barn.

Edit: Yes, its an S350 with a turbo diesel. That is a good sized engine. My F150 is only a 4.6L after all.

3l diesel, indeed.

Also, I am well aware of the difference between mph and km/h. That Merc was turning over just under 1500rpm at just under 100km/h, so that's 60mph for 1500rpm - or about 2000rpm at your speed.

I can do just as well with a tiny 2.0T, at 80mph rev counter reads 2,500. :p

My tiny 1.4TSI barely revs higher, ~2700 at 80mph.

No, small engines in highway cars work about as well as the picture you implied you were posting.

What picture did I imply?

Last edited:
That 3L diesel isn't exactly small. It's physically about the size of my 4.0L blower gas six.

Also, some of you may have missed something. :D

IMG_0448b.jpg

Let's just say the picture was taken on the way UP and not on the way down. :p Unfortunately, when shooting blind (i.e., resting the phone on the steering wheel and tapping the shot button while actually paying attention to where you're going instead of what's on the phone display) you end up with a lot of wasted shots and this was the only one that turned out. Straight road, no traffic, no inlets or exits, no safety issues.

Also, going back up and replacing earlier pics with better quality ones. Check out the Jag's thread for details of why it was out prowling around today.

I don't get it...does that say "sport" and "trac off"? Not sure what I'm supposed to see.

It does, in fact, say "Sport" and "Trac Off" - in green to tell you it's okay and the modes you should be in instead of amber or red to indicate you have called for Armageddon to happen.

In other words, this picture was not taken while the car was in its most economical mode. :D

That 3L diesel isn't exactly small. It's physically about the size of my 4.0L blower gas six.

It's indeed on the larger side of a Autobahn blasting engine, the 2 litre diesels in the E90 are very sufficient. It may be equivalent to your 4l petrol, idunno - my point was you don't need 6 litres, or that bigger is not always better.

Also, some of you may have missed something. :D

Enlighten us, nobody can read that without guessing/knowing what lamps are in that position.

PS: Aha.

How is traction control off related to x rpm at speed y? Same question for sport mode - unless it wasn't in Top Gear.

Last edited:
Trac off allows wheelspin in any gear and does not try to retard power when punching it; sport holds the torque converter lock until higher (IIRC) and holds shifts higher in the RPM range.

Trac off allows wheelspin in any gear and does not try to retard power when punching it; sport holds the torque converter lock until higher (IIRC) and holds shifts higher in the RPM range.

I hope you're not suggesting wheelspin at 80mph :lol:

My 1.4 can do wheelspin at 80km/h... but winter helped :tease:

Remember, this is just the only usable pic of a blindly-shot sequence taken under acceleration. :D

My last XJR would light up the tires at anything under about 90 mph if those lights were on and you asked it to. :D It was great fun on the highways if I was tailgated. :D

About 30 minutes from where I live, this happened.

What the article doesn't say is that the driver that caused the accident was a 94 year old woman who was driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway. Her Mazda 121 was obliterated by a Nissan Patrol travelling in the opposite direction. And the government runs ad campaigns targeting young drivers...

About 30 minutes from where I live, this happened.

What the article doesn't say is that the driver that caused the accident was a 94 year old woman who was driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway. Her Mazda 121 was obliterated by a Nissan Patrol travelling in the opposite direction. And the government runs ad campaigns targeting young drivers...

The government doesn't really need to target old drivers with an ad campaign. They are already targeted by the need to undergo an annual medical assessment from the age of 75 and a driving test every 2 years from the age of 85.

By "road scenario" I didn't mean "road closed for a race scenario" :tease:

That's still what Mexico is for. $100 to the local jefe and you can do whatever the hell you want on the roads.

La Mordida is alive and well in Old Mexico.

Last edited:
The government doesn't really need to target old drivers with an ad campaign. They are already targeted by the need to undergo an annual medical assessment from the age of 75 and a driving test every 2 years from the age of 85.

I'm not suggesting an ad campaign. The point is that people focus on young drivers as being the dangerous drivers, whereas all other groups and especially the elderly can be more dangerous. Apart from the occasional piece of twaddle on Today Tonight, nothing is said about the people who are in no condition to drive. A P-plater has an accident when they are not even at fault and the media has a field day about how its a menace to society, but old Beryl drives her Corolla into a supermarket and its featured on that bit at the end of the news when they have the joke story.

The Genesis 3.8 track coupe, optional extras. 'Front camber adjustment bolt $30'
Little weird no?

No, it's a special bolt to allow a more than normal range of adjustment. Some people have cars where that is only available in the aftermarket - nice to see a factory do it.

The XTerra has no factory camber adjustment. When doing any lift you need to install one.