Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

I think on the long run the loss of trust in the political leadership is the real killer for Russia.

Foreign investors only put their money in a country with a steady government, a working administration, judicial reliability and general stability. From what it looks like now, Russia turns more and more into at least a half-dictatorship with an unpredictable policial leader, a corrupt administration and a manipulable judiciary.

That's poison for any foreign investments. Putin might feel great and powerful now but his country may have to pay for that. And I predict that as soon as he tries to "get back" at the West with economical sactions, e.g. turning off the gas deliviries, Russia will nt only become very lonely but also very poor.

Also the Chinese will only team up with Russia as long as their other business interests with the West aren't touched.

Last edited:
Found on reddit:

NHJO8d3.png

How did they think when they made light green "completely" dependent and "slightly darker shade of green" 100% independent?

What I find very disturbing at the moment, is that the only people, who make sense with what they say in all this, are diplomatic veterans and former politicians of the 1970's and 1980's. Those who experienced the Cold War.

All the younger folks seem to miss a firsthand experience of what it was like 30 or 40 years go and I sometimes wonder, if they even consider what they suggest or talk about. Especially members of the German Green Party annoy me a lot at the moment with their "Putin did wrong and must be punished" attitude.

What I see at the moment, aren't so much attempts to de-escalate the situation but merely efforts to make it escalate further... If we had our current politicians back in the 70's and 80's, I guess we wouldn't be here anymore...

Makes you appreciate the fact even more, that despite all the bad odds we survived the Cold War... and also makes you sad, when you look at the Crimea crisis and think "Didn't they learn anythng from the past?"

Last edited:
Russia's Military Begins Massive Nuclear War Drill

On Thursday, 10,000 Russian troops began a drill simulating the massive use of nuclear missiles.

While much Western attention has been bestowed on Russia?s military buildup near Ukraine, Moscow also began a massive nuclear offensive exercise on Thursday.

According to the Russian daily Nezavisimaya Gazeta, on Thursday Russia?s Strategic Missile Forces began a massive three-day exercise involving 10,000 soldiers and 1,000 pieces of equipment from more than 30 units. The major purpose of the drill, according to the report?which cites multiple senior Russian military officers?is to ensure Russia?s Strategic Missile Forces have sufficient readiness to conduct offensive operations involving the massive and simultaneous use of nuclear missiles.

Global Security Newswire previously carried a story on the nuclear exercise, also citing the Nezavisimaya Gazeta article. GSN described the exercise as ?as practice for a large-scale nuclear offensive.? It added: ?Exercise participants were set to position and prepare missile-firing units for launch, and to practice various administrative and support functions for the operation

As Russia?s conventional military capabilities have deteriorated following the collapse of the Soviet Union, Moscow has become increasingly reliant on operationalizing its nuclear arsenal. This has been reflected in successive Russian security documents. For example, Russia?s 1997 national security concept stated that Russia would use its nuclear arsenal ?in case of a threat to the existence of the Russian Federation,? whether that threat came in the form of nuclear weapons or from a conventionally superior military power.

This threshold was further lowered in Russia?s 2000 military doctrine, which was the first released during Vladimir Putin?s presidency. This document said that Russia would use nuclear weapons ?in response to large-scale aggression utilizing conventional weapons in situations critical to the national security of the Russian Federation.? This held out the possibility that Russia would use nuclear weapons even if Russia proper hadn?t been attacked. The same doctrine further noted that Russia reserved the right to use nuclear weapons in response to the use of any kind of weapons of mass destruction against it.

Shortly before reassuming the Russian presidency for a third term, Putin reaffirmed the importance he placed on Russia?s nuclear forces in a number of articles and speeches. For example, in an op-ed article in Foreign Policy magazine, Putin wrote: ?We will, under no circumstances, surrender our strategic deterrent capability. Indeed, we will strengthen it.?

Thus, this week?s massive offensive nuclear drill is in line with the goals that Russia and Putin have been articulating for well over a decade. It is also consistent with Putin?s recent emphasis on conducting more frequent and sophisticated military drills to improve the combat readiness of Russian military forces. Indeed, Russia conducted a much smaller surprise nuclear drill in October of last year.

Still, the timing of the drill is likely to cause great concern in Western capitals, particularly in Washington. The drill could very well be intended to signal Russia?s resolve over events in Ukraine where Russia has been at loggerheads with the West and the government in Kiev over Moscow?s annexation of Crimea. A very visible reminder of Russia?s substantial nuclear capabilities would make sense for Moscow in a number of different contingencies, including if Russia is intending to move forces deeper into eastern Ukraine, as many currently fear.

For what it?s worth, the Nezavisimaya Gazeta article said there was no connection between the current nuclear exercise and the crisis in Ukraine. As evidence of this, it pointed out that in December of last year the commander of Russia?s Strategic Missile Forces had said that his forces would conduct a large and complicated exercise sometime during 2014. From this, the Russian daily concluded that the drill had been planned for weeks and was completely unrelated to the tensions of Ukraine.

At the same time, it ended the article by noting that testing the readiness of Russia?s strategic forces was especially important in light of the ?current reality of the world situation.?

Cold War II is upon us then. Russia's military has greatly deteriorated since the fall of the Soviet Union so nuclear weapons might very well be their ONLY strong response option. However, I don't think even Putin is stupid enough to use nuclear weapons because he knows there would be several others flying in the other direction, aimed right at the Red Square.

Then again, I'm not sure if Obama would really respond even if Russia nuked Chicago. He'd probably draw a bolded underlined dark-red line.

Last edited:
Russia won't use nuclear weapons offensively. It would be national suicide.

Nuclear weapons are most effective as a means to prevent foreign invasion. Why do you think Iran wants one?

Then again, I'm not sure if Obama would really respond even if Russia nuked Chicago. He'd probably draw a bolded underlined dark-red line.

See my post above. :p

The government overlords demand that I buy health insurance. Then, despite the fact that I was on the Federal payroll before, I file taxes every year, and I am currently receiving a Pell Grant, they can't verify my identity for me to register on the marketplace. I've tried 5 times now, despite the fact that I know I won't be able to afford health insurance (which is why I didn't have it in the first place). Every time I call them, they've just told me to "try again later".

TL,DR:
Feds have no problem verifying my identity when thousands of dollars are involved, but can't be bothered to get their act together so that I can avoid their healthcare tax (or maybe even get health insurance, but I doubt it).

The government overlords demand that I buy health insurance. Then, despite the fact that I was on the Federal payroll before, I file taxes every year, and I am currently receiving a Pell Grant, they can't verify my identity for me to register on the marketplace. I've tried 5 times now, despite the fact that I know I won't be able to afford health insurance (which is why I didn't have it in the first place). Every time I call them, they've just told me to "try again later".

TL,DR:
Feds have no problem verifying my identity when thousands of dollars are involved, but can't be bothered to get their act together so that I can avoid their healthcare tax (or maybe even get health insurance, but I doubt it).
You must have a really weird system, supported by a really crap computer system.

The USA is not a country that you think of as bad at public administration but put the treatment of the vets together with the health care debacle and you can not help but wonder what the heck is happening.

The USA is not a country that you think of as bad at public administration
:roflmao: I'm glad that you Ooropeans think so highly of us in that regard, but I assure you the redundant overlapping levels of bureaucracy are quite incredible here, which often results in horrendous delays and high expenses for... no good reason.

:roflmao: I'm glad that you Ooropeans think so highly of us in that regard, but I assure you the redundant overlapping levels of bureaucracy are quite incredible here, which often results in horrendous delays and high expenses for... no good reason.

Sounds like every other country then.

The problem with healthcare in this country is not government, it's the corporations. With this current system, it's just telling people to buy something in return for a few so-called consumer protections. Not to mention the companies hired to run the website, it's just a mess. Eliminate the corporations as in a single-payer system and the problems go away.