Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

It's this kind of thinking that is largely responsible for terrorism in the first place, if the people in the country accept Sharia law then it's really their business as long as they are not trying to impose it on other countries (like US does with "democracy"). Meddling in other countries' affairs is a quick way to end up with a massive clusterfuck. The only reason Taliban even exists still is because US fought a proxy war in Afghanistan and supplied them with weapons. Even the rise of IS can be easily traced to the war in Iraq since most of the leadership is former high ranking Iraqi officials. There are no examples in history where a foreign invasion into a sovereign country did anything but make things worse.

You're veering into Chomsky conspiracy theory. I agree the US has made situations worse and enabled criminals and butchers, but you can't treat the populace in these regions as children. They have their own agency.

As for situations where a foreign invasion into a sovereign country did makes things better, I can think of Germany, Japan, and Iraqi Kurdistan off the top of my head.

Personally I prefer the Ardbeg. Care to elaborate?

:p
Ardbeg is great. Really distinct malt, my personal favourite would probably be Caol ila, it has enough smoke, but quite a complex palet apart from it (and that's why I don't really buy regular Laphroaig). I also enjoy the Arran, but haven't had that for a long time.

Fair enough, though it makes me wonder why bother commenting on the subject in the first place since it's going to restart the same discussion you are tired of.

It's okay in small dozes, and they're still subjects I have beliefs on. I just can't be bothered to frequent those threads, they're just so bloody tiring.

You're veering into Chomsky conspiracy theory. I agree the US has made situations worse and enabled criminals and butchers, but you can't treat the populace in these regions as children. They have their own agency.

As for situations where a foreign invasion into a sovereign country did makes things better, I can think of Germany, Japan, and Iraqi Kurdistan off the top of my head.

I would disagree on Germany completely, there was no unprompted foreign invasion and after the war that Germany started in the first place was over they were largely left alone (aside from the Commie side). Japan I only partially agree, and they were also mostly left alone but they also have a pretty different culture to that of the Middle East.

Don't know much about Kurdistan so can't comment on that.

Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Neither German or Japanese culture or religion in those areas are particularly shitty to their people or have a history of blowing up themselves.

To my knowledge thanks to the American public school system.

Which part of my statement is veering into conspiracy? One of the Rambo movies had the titular character help the Taliban and Russians sure ended up missing quite a few Hinds due to shoulder fired missiles that were of very obvious origin. I'm not saying that the US is specifically creating terror groups just that our foreign policy is very conducive to their existence.

Which part of my statement is veering into conspiracy? One of the Rambo movies had the titular character help the Taliban and Russians sure ended up missing quite a few Hinds due to shoulder fired missiles that were of very obvious origin. I'm not saying that the US is specifically creating terror groups just that our foreign policy is very conducive to their existence.

You sounded like you were heading into the Chomskyan direction that all the world problems were created by the US. The problem with that line of thought is that it assumes little agency on the people in these regions.

I do agree the US has armed terror groups out of its own stupidity, but you can't blame everything on the US. The religious and ethnic strife in these regions are ultimately the cause of these conflicts.

- - - Updated - - -

I would disagree on Germany completely, there was no unprompted foreign invasion and after the war that Germany started in the first place was over they were largely left alone (aside from the Commie side). Japan I only partially agree, and they were also mostly left alone but they also have a pretty different culture to that of the Middle East.

Don't know much about Kurdistan so can't comment on that.

I was thinking occupation when using the word invading. Germany was occupied and rebuilt (politically and industrially). Japan was more so. The Japanese constitution was essentially written by the US, and MacArthur pretty much ruled there for three years instituting major reforms.

I would suggest you read up on Iraqi Kurdistan, they are shaping up to be liberal and democratic success.

You sounded like you were heading into the Chomskyan direction that all the world problems were created by the US. The problem with that line of thought is that it assumes little agency on the people in these regions.

I do agree the US has armed terror groups out of its own stupidity, but you can't blame everything on the US. The religious and ethnic strife in these regions are ultimately the cause of these conflicts.

We are mostly in agreement then. I don't believe US policies are enabling the conflicts but not necessarily causing them.

The United States is no British Empire, that is for sure.

No, we don't! The US doesn't conquer territory for itself, not does it colonize.

Yeah not for itself just for its biggest contractors. We don't colonize but we do conquer territory, just not as overtly but then times changed and it isn't really possible to do that anymore

No, we don't! The US doesn't conquer territory for itself, not does it colonize.
No, not since, I dunno, the 19th century perhaps. The whole of the US is, after all, colonized originally. But yeah.

I don't see what's funny with it, I don't see why we call the student "special snowflake" (that is: I see why, but I think it's a pathetic thing to do) and the assault isn't funny. The kid was in the wrong, but calling people "special snowflakes" because they snap when exposed to an offensive form for free speech is just stupid. There are cops that react with assault for being exposed to speech they don't like. We wouldn't call them "special snowflakes". Doing it here is just an attempt at painting this kid like a spoiled brat, and while he was in the wrong, there's just no call for that.

Last edited:
I don't see what's funny with it, I don't see why we call the student "special snowflake" (that is: I see why, but I think it's a pathetic thing to do) and the assault isn't funny. The kid was in the wrong, but calling people "special snowflakes" because they snap when exposed to an offensive form for free speech is just stupid. There are cops that react with assault for being exposed to speech they don't like. We wouldn't call them "special snowflakes". Doing it here is just an attempt at painting this kid like a spoiled brat, and while he was in the wrong, there's just no call for that.
But, you see, that is a growing attitude across American college campuses. Words are so hurtful! I'm offended. This kid is just a prime example of a whiny millennial who grew up getting participation awards and getting told he's special.

The man with a sign saying ?Warning! Masturbators, theives, liars, drunkards, fornicators, homosexuals, Judgment Day!? ? Totally agree.
Both, actually. At least the guy with the sign isn't going to be arrested for assault and battery though.

But, you see, that is a growing attitude across American college campuses. Words are so hurtful! I'm offended. This kid is just a prime example of a whiny millennial who grew up getting participation awards and getting told he's special.
Basically this, the whole "self-esteem" movement is what's creating people like that. He thought it was OK to attack a random dude standing with a sign because it was offensive to him.

"It's hate speech; it's provoked assault!"

There's a reason people like this routinely use words like "harassment" and "violence" and "trauma" to describe mere criticism or disagreement. It's to justify a draconian policy/law or maybe even violence in response.

also:

It has nothing to do with him being special, and being told he is special, it has to do with no one telling him he has to tolerate others.

It has nothing to do with him being special, and being told he is special, it has to do with no one telling him he has to tolerate others.
Tolerance is preached everywhere you look these days. This reminds me of the rape culture thing that makes it sound like no one told rapists that rape is wrong - uhh should be pretty damn obvious; same thing here - not only should it be basic common sense, but it's also talked about a lot. Personally, I think the guy with the sign should've pressed charges - kid needs to learn the hard way that life's not all rainbows and flowers and a healthy dose of reality is just the ticket.

Look, the news is full of stories of college kids protesting speakers because they disagree with them, demanding safe zones with elevator music and fluffy pillows and stuffed toys (not exaggerating), and thinking that the whole world should bend over for them. That's exactly how I view this kid - special little snowflake who was coddled by his parents and now that he's outside of their protection and confronted with something he doesn't like for the first time, he throws a tantrum. A lot of college kids these days are little pussies that think that the world revolves around them. I think part of it is actually because of the non-stop tolerance preaching about how we're all so happy and friendly, which becomes confusing the first time they encounter someone who challenges that idea.

But, you know, being strict during a child's upbringing could be considered offensive to the child and punishing it or showing it the limits could traumatize them, didn't you know that? :p

Also, parents actually need to invest time and effort into bringing up a child and that is sooo much 20th century...

Parking a child in front of a TV screen or computer monitor while parents are pursuing their own careers, THAT is how it's done in the 21st century ;)

After all, a child nowadays is no longer needed for support when you get old. Children are mere lifestyle items among many people nowadays...

Last edited: