Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Marques has said multiple times over the course of a couple of videos that his ideal scenario use for this is media consumption on a plane. And for that, I'm sure it's brilliant...but then you could just get a Bigscreen Beyond which by most accounts has terrific screens, much lighter, just as much visual isolation, and also costs 70% less because you're not paying for all of the extra productivity technology/cameras/sensors.

The fact that he was able to play ping pong against an IRL player while using the camera pass-through was impressive.

Marques has said multiple times over the course of a couple of videos that his ideal scenario use for this is media consumption on a plane.

And yet again, I get the feeling that these tech see everything from the point of view of a person that spends their life traveling.

I'm going to go to work now, it takes about ten minutes by car. Half of that it with cruise control on. After that it's the weekend and no, I'm not going to travel anywhere then either.

And yet again, I get the feeling that these tech see everything from the point of view of a person that spends their life traveling.

I'm going to go to work now, it takes about ten minutes by car. Half of that it with cruise control on. After that it's the weekend and no, I'm not going to travel anywhere then either.

Fair, though for a few years in my non-tech job, I flew somewhere nearly every 6 weeks (for one streak, a 5hr flight and return every other week for 3 months), including Europe 6 times in 3 years. I would have loved something like this for the plane, but also the hours I'd spend wore out in the hotel with the 32" TV on the pull-out hinged mount at a weird angle from the bed.

1706884207173.png

You can't, because it's the most satisfying and robust USB connector there is. I'm using several USB type B connectors in a project, so strong and satisfying to use. :-|

View attachment 3571708

You can't, because it's the most satisfying and robust USB connector there is. I'm using several USB type B connectors in a project, so strong and satisfying to use. :-|
While you do make a good point considering robustness, having it fit in either way/upside down is a big plus, so for me usb c all the way.

Especially for stuff like printers where you’re usually fumbling the cable in, somewhere you can’t ser what you’re doing, this is very handy

While you do make a good point considering robustness, having it fit in either way/upside down is a big plus, so for me usb c all the way.

Especially for stuff like printers where you’re usually fumbling the cable in, somewhere you can’t ser what you’re doing, this is very handy
That's a good point, I would counter it by saying that with USB-B it's at least easy to see which way up the plug is. USB C is much better than USB B mini or micro, but I don't rate its overall robustness compared to B or even A. People at work keep breaking the USB C dock connectors on our Dell docks. As a standard it's great but as a connector I'm not convinced.

A new USB B connector that takes the strengths of USB C would be nice, a big square connector that can be inserted in any of four ways.

A new USB B connector that takes the strengths of USB C would be nice, a big square connector that can be inserted in any of four ways.
Then you run into other issues... good old USB-B contains what, 5 connections? How many is USB-C?
edit: seems to be 24. I think inherently the connector won't be as physically robust if it has to handle 24 pins rather than 4.
1706974725987.png

Also: big and square doesn't work for a smartphone or, thinking about it, wouldn't work with many slim laptops either :|

Also: big and square doesn't work for a smartphone or, thinking about it, wouldn't work with many slim laptops either :|

That's how we ended up with Mini B, which was trash...and micro B, wich was micro trash.

When I saw there was a “review” by Casey neistat, I knew it’d at least be different… and it was. And while I don’t necessarily agree with his conclusion, it sure was a more fun take than the serious stuff by, eg, mkbhd.

View: https://youtu.be/UvkgmyfMPks

I think I've asked a question about upgrading the RAM in my workstation already, but now I've got another one.

Right now, it has four 4GB Micron sticks. The sticks have markings saying "4GB 1RX8 PC3-14900R-13-13-A1" on them. I tried finding exact same modules on eBay, they cost between $8 and $18 per stick, but they're all outside EU, so shipping would be expensive, and there's VAT to pay on top of that.

Meanwhile, I was able to find some 16GB Samsung PC3-14900R sticks for €9.50 per stick, with shipping being only €5, from Germany. However, those have markings saying "2Rx4 PC3-14900R-13-13-E2-D4 " on them.

I understand the PC3 part means DDR3, and 14900R means ECC Registered 1866MHz memory. I am pretty sure those numbers after 14900R are latency, but I don't understand if they're important or not. The first figure after the memory size baffles me. Googling tells me it's a memory rank mark, the first number signifying the number of ranks per chip, and the last number signifying the number of chips per rank. If I did my maths correctly, that should mean the same number of chips in total, but with the latter memory having twice as many ranks as former. Should I even care about all that?

I'd rather have 64GB of RAM for €45 than 32GB of RAM for $63, but I'd rather buy memory that I know will work than gamble it. And then there's the question of whether I should even upgrade the RAM at all, but my calcualtions say it wouldn't make much sense to sell it and get something newer if all I'm gonna do with it is editing photos and occassional video, all for personal needs.

I am pretty sure those numbers after 14900R are latency, but I don't understand if they're important or not.
You're correct, but no, they aren't important. That said, the current sticks and the ones you want to buy have the same latencies so there won't be a difference in speed at all between them.

The first figure after the memory size baffles me. Googling tells me it's a memory rank mark, the first number signifying the number of ranks per chip, and the last number signifying the number of chips per rank. If I did my maths correctly, that should mean the same number of chips in total, but with the latter memory having twice as many ranks as former. Should I even care about all that?
Yes, you should. Memory controllers can only use a finite number of ranks so if you swap four sticks of 1RX8 for four sticks of 2RX4 the memory controller might not be able to cope with the number of ranks. I don't know if the generation of CPU you have already has built-in memory controllers so when you specify which CPU and chipset are in the workstation we can find out about that and what amount of RAM that configuration supports.

It's a Dell Precision T3610 with a Xeon E5-2667 v2 CPU, which is an Ivy Bridge Xeon. The motherboard uses an X79 chipset.

Why do you need more ram?

As an interesting note on upgrades; if you can exceed the CPU/chipset max supported memory amounts, you will end up with random BSOD/Kernel Panics/Firmware fuckery.

Why do you need more ram?
Well, Adobe Creative Suite is quite RAM hungry, and I've already had situations in which I hit like 15.5GB of RAM usage.

As it's Dell, I know that they can be very picky about memory. The Crucial memory checker is our go-to for compatible RAM, it might help you.
https://uk.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/precision-workstation-t3610#memory

These are a slower speed, but you wouldn't notice the difference really. They're also all 2Rx8.
Would I have any problems because it's not ECC RAM? I'll check local websites if any of the stores has Crucial's DDR3 RAM.

Would I have any problems because it's not ECC RAM? I'll check local websites if any of the stores has Crucial's DDR3 RAM.
All of that Crucial memory is non-ECC, I trust that site so I don't think you would have any issues.

I definitely agree with an upgrade for Adobe software, that was one of the reasons I put 64GB in this machine.