Random Thoughts....

Finally the cool change arrived an hour ago. Now we can no longer talk about the weather :p

It is currently 43c here, so no the bitching about the heat has not ended.

It is currently 43c here, so no the bitching about the heat has not ended.

It's 0 here with -19 windchill (-18 and -28 in your degrees), want to trade?

I just got made a mod on a different forum! Great success. Also, my friend that writes for thenextweb just offered me a job writing for their soon-to-be-opened US site. This made the fact that I was stuck in the airport for an extra hour and a half totally fine.

OK. Time to take action. All of those that aren't happy with themselves/their lives, a challenge (don't worry, I'm doing this too).

Pick one small thing that you hate about yourself or things that you do, and make a plan to address it, and implement it.

Mine: I spend too much time at work. I have too much leave, and I cannot walk out that door at a reasonable time. I take it home, I lie awake at night trying to sort out work problems. So, for the rest of the month, I will not walk into the office before 8.30am, and I will walk out at 5pm. The work phone will be turned off outside of those hours. I will not think about work outside of work. This is going to be hard. REALLY hard. I firmly believe that the place will stop operating without me, or no one can do what I do as well as I do it, even though the rational part of my brain says that if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, they will survive. I have to prove to myself that the world will not stop, and that there is still enough of a life outside of work left for me to resurrect.

In its place I will - finish the two fiction pieces I am writing. Have dinner and a night out with the girls. Have a evening out with the ex-colleagues at the pub and catch up on their lives. Go and see both friends that have recently had babies, and actually sit down with them and have a good talk. Write a proper letter to my favourite aunt, with pen and paper as she is technically challenged. I will also remove all work related items from my laptop, bag and my current residence. I will go for a walk at least three days a week. I will dust and reorganise the bookshelves and take books that I have not touched in the last two years to Lifeline for the bookfair. And I will clean the shed (who knows, I might find the lost Inca civilisation!)

I will also update my CV and have an appointment with a career counsellor (provided free by my employer thank you very much) and review the job sites for potential new careers.

Doesn't have to be a big thing, don't have to post it here. Small and achievable. Now go do it!

Bugger me I'm unfit. I decided instead of driving to the nearby shops, I'd walk/jog/run the 2km or whatever. Back at home now and I'm sweating and gasping. It's 19 degrees out and extremely humid which would account for some of that though. Gonna need to make some huge gains in the next month or so. Cycling season will begin in a couple of months time and I have some upcoming fitness tests (Beep tests, agility, etc). But for now I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the Iced Coffee and Mars Bar I went to the shops for :p

Last edited:
Bugger me I'm unfit. I decided instead of driving to the nearby shops, I'd walk/jog/run the 2km or whatever. Back at home now and I'm sweating and gasping. It's 19 degrees out and extremely humid which would account for some of that though. Gonna need to make some huge gains in the next month or so. Cycling season will begin in a couple of months time and I have some upcoming fitness tests (Beep tests, agility, etc). But for now I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the Iced Coffee and Mars Bar I went to the shops for :p

You are lucky, i went for a walk recently because i wanted to do some walking as well as my swimming to be in a little bit better shape, and the 3km walk around the block gave me some really serious blisters on my heals. At one point walking was so painful, that i decided that running home was a less painful option. I really need to get some new shoes that don't hack my feet up every time i move my leg.

Good suggestion, ashspet. Good luck with yours.

I'm going to do that thing that I mentioned in that other thread.;)

But for the purposes of this limp-wristed, safe-for-work kids thread for suckers, my next goal in life will be trying to get that stubborn Opal Nero stain out of my lime green Tommy Hilfiger polo.

When you achieve both your goals, there will be much bowing to your greatness!!!

I'm not sure which is the harder though :grin:

Yeah, I need to lose weight, or else I'm gonna lose the plot when I'm older.

I do karate, which can be exhursting at times (depends on what we do) and I do ride my bike to work (the problem is, it's only a few streets away) but the rest of the time I sit and lounge on the computer or eat a way too big porportion of my meal (and eat it too fast).

So, for me, start walking a lot more, start eating less at dinner and more at breakfast and less time on the seat in front of a screen.

Perhaps an Australian weather thread is in order?

It'd only have three different replies: "too bloody hot", "too bloody cold" and "s'alright".

You forgot "on fire" and "drowning" :p

Well you should give yourself a reward for all that hard work :lol:

I need to lose weight too, but it'sw been 5 days since I did any time on my treadmill. I even signed up at sparkpeople.com, and it's handy to calculate what you're eating and where you need to make changes.
But I havent signed in there for days either.

I have PCOS which makes it really hard to lose weight, and my mum isn't interested in changing her cooking habits to suit those of us in the house that can't eat heaps of carbs and things like potato, white bread and pasta.

Been trying for 2 years to lose the same 10kg, but it ain't going anywhere. :(

It needs to stop raining! >.< It makes me less inclined to want to drive because everyone out on the roads is an idiot when it's raining. That's not to say that all the other drivers out there aren't idiots the rest of the time...because they generally are, here.

I am hopelessly hooked on watching Japanese TV series atm. Help.

you're lost, nothing in this world can help you now :(

Using Japan as a segue, a random thought occurred to me today:

Name one internationally known stand up comedian off the top of your head (and not using Google :roll:) who is either from Japan or Germany.

"Ja, ihre Mutter ja, she iz so gastronomically sized, her posterior would not fit in ze allotted space! I haff drawn a graph, ja?"

No, not Germany. Sarcastic? Yes. Funny? No.

Stand up is tiny in Japan. Their comedy is based on a pair of comedians doing a sort of Dunce/Straightman thing, which is quite funny. (oh and I'll name you a duo they're called ninety-nine and consists of Okamura and Yabe (no can't remember their first names right now))

Stand up came to Sweden as a comedy genre in the 80ies before that there were other ways to do comedy so just going by stand up performers is perhaps not the best way to compare if a country is "funny"

Our stand up "comedians" typically consist of either a bogan complaining about the price of cigarettes or a women making bad jokes about tampons for two hours....