Random Thoughts....

It sounds like people feel the need to have children just to be normal.

Then I am envious of them. Sometimes.

A woman I know got a tattoo on her forearm, in the same area I have mine:
https://pic.armedcats.net/j/ja/jayhawk/2011/08/07/012.JPG

I told here she was hardcore, like me. Then I thought about that a bit more. Does being "hardcore" entail birdwatching, taking photos of pretty flowers, listening to classical music and jazz, and having a cat with nicknames like "sir fuzzy buns?"

Is Meat Loaf's "Bat out of hell"
a) A song about motorbike riding?
b) Full of not-really-working half-thought-out sex metaphors?
c) Totally awesome?
d) All of the above?

Why is it not awesome? I love it! Actually, it's the third best song Meat Loaf ever did.

Should I ask my current employer to write me a recommendation for another employer, or is that considered uncouth?

c) Totally awesome?
d) All of the above?

Doesn't all that apply to every single Meat Loaf song ever made? :p

The only Meat Loaf I enjoy is full of home-made Cajun seasoning and wrapped in bacon!

In other news, look out FG Texans! The MWF Collective will be landing at DFW on October 22! Which may mean I will seem rather rude as I might not therefore get to thank you all for your birthday wishes properly until I get back the following weekend as I have no intention of spending my vacation glued to an internet!

Today, I rescued one of the kittens from one of the stray colonies I feed and gave her for adoption. Met this lady on Facebook and she took the little kitty to home with her. It's the first stray cat I was able to give for adoption. Hope this is the first of many.

Should I ask my current employer to write me a recommendation for another employer, or is that considered uncouth?

You only ask for a reference, after you have received a written job offer from the other employer. Asking before that is not uncouth, more unwise really. (e.g. They may have a headcount problem you are not aware of, so they chose you because you are "not happy here" anyway.)

:)

c) Totally awesome?
d) All of the above?
At least c), for the rest I have to actually listen to the lyrics.

So I just found out my Indian friend who graduated high school one year earlier than I did, is now engaged, living in Fort Worth, TX, and is in medicine.

While I applaud him for doing medicine and all that... I must ask

WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYONE GETTING ENGAGED SO EARLY?

A lot of my friends are the same way...seeing everyone engaged at 22 makes me feel old....or at least behind the times.

Depends on the relation you have, and the nature of the business. I myself consider unwise and yes, uncouth.

If you were to do it my industry, you will get blackballed.

if i had my own own house i'd be delighted to have BBQs/block parties with the neighbours. i know neighbours can be idiots who annoy the hell out of you (yeah, mowing your lawn 7am on a saturday is just wrong!), but quite a few of them - even the annoying ones - are mostly quite pleasant once you get to know them. of course some are hopeless, but there's always a few of those around, right?
The area in which we purchased does have a reputation for being on the conservative side. Most our neighbors are older and probably don't understand or approve of thing like us living together when we are not married. In most cases, to be an insider you have to start at the church and I am not interested in seeking approval from anyone. If I want to mow my lawn Sunday morning before it gets up to 100+ degrees then I bloody well will because it beats going to the hospital for heat stroke. I don't give a damn if it's your sabbath or not.I will try to be a decent neighbor and consult with those who border our property before doing anything that will affect them. The thing I like most about a house compared to an apartment is that I can be just a bit farther away from other people than I was before./get off my lawn.

If I want to mow my lawn Sunday morning before it gets up to 100+ degrees then I bloody well will because it beats going to the hospital for heat stroke.

I always adhere to is not before 9 am, not after 10 pm. If people get bent out of shape during what I call thos e"reasonable" hours, they have other problems.

I'm always joking that if they give us crap of any kind, I can always take the bike to work at 6am in the morning (I love aftermarket exhausts on a v-twin) or have some Beethoven and Rachmaninoff at midnight to deal with (we're getting my concert grand soon). Yay for pissing off annoying neighbors!

I always adhere to is not before 9 am, not after 10 pm. If people get bent out of shape during what I call thos e"reasonable" hours, they have other problems.
For a proper mow and trim, starting at 9am will put you deep into the heat of the day around here. What am I supposed to do in the winter? Should I sit in the garage and not plow my driveway until an hour after I'm supposed to be at work?People have a problem with mowing the lawn before 9, but don't have a problem firing up a two stroke snowblower for two inches of snow on the drive at 5 AM.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with asking them to write you a reference if your circumstances in your job has changed, for example if you are taking on a different role, or your boss is moving on. Asking them to write recommending you to a particular employer? Ewww...