RESULTS - December photoshop competition

Everyone did very excellent this month, I didn't do a very good job of guessing which one belonged to whom.

Cool! Podium finish first time out!

Well done to the winners. There was some sweet chopping there. The convertible was stunning and the subtle flared arches and bib spoiler on the other one were really cool.

I'll be back.

:)

Thanks for the votes and congrats to everyone who participated! :)

That went better than I thought. Thanks for the votes and for everyone who entered making it probably the closest competition we've had. :)

I can finally post the screen capture video I made making it. About 4 or so hours of work compressed into just under 10 minutes. Enjoy :p
[YOUTUBE]b1vdcSzwJRk[/YOUTUBE]
Just remembered , some might not be able to view it because it does say that it is blocked in some countries...

Last edited:
Just the way I voted! :p

*Looks at the table of the votes :huh:

Oi red bull lay off the booze! This is the way I voted!
1st Place - Chop 7
2nd Place - Chop 6
3rd Place - Chop 4
You got it mixed up :lol:

I dont get it. Thats how it looks to me...:S

Awesome video Salguod, it really shows just why your chops are consistently at the top. I might've done a couple of things differently but if I were to make a video it would've been a complete mess. I thought I'd been pretty thorough on the details but your video showed how you just took it to the next level.

I had several ideas for this, the first was turning it into a WTCC car based on the Monroe Seat but I soon realised it wouldn't really work. A Seat logo would look a little strange on an Alfa.I did half toy with the idea of painting it red and putting the Alfa livery on it as you had done (glad I didn't when I saw yours) and I actually got as far as painting it red before I thought of the Martini livery, although I decided to upgrade it a bit and give it a bit of my own tweak. The rally idea came pretty late, I was really keen on doing it WTCC style. So yeah, I went through several ideas.

Despite not getting the result I'd hoped for, I'm still very pleased with it, I reckon it's my best work. Some techniques I used were new and improved to me. Here's a hi-res version of it (minus dirt).

Again, thankyou all for participating. I'll give it a couple of months break and then we'll see what we want to do about it. Maybe Raheel might like to step back up to the plate or something.

Last edited:
I dont get it. Thats how it looks to me...:S

Woops. Does the chart shows the points? Yes it does....:oops:
Sorry ignore!! :D

That went better than I thought. Thanks for the votes and for everyone who entered making it probably the closest competition we've had. :)

I can finally post the screen capture video I made making it. About 4 or so hours of work compressed into just under 10 minutes. Enjoy :p
*tube snip

Now thats very intresting! Thanks for the inside at car chop HQ!
I think the first step to make a awesome chop is to have a huge database of photos! :p
(Nice song btw)

Edit - GASP I just remembered after my comeplete wipeout and reinstall of windows, I did not install photoshop back! THE HORROR!!!!..
:p

Last edited:

[YOUTUBE]b1vdcSzwJRk[/YOUTUBE]
Just remembered , some might not be able to view it because it does say that it is blocked in some countries...

Awesome, I would actually be interested in watching a longer video. One where I could actually see which tools you were using and such.

Cool. Always interesting to see how others work in Photoshop.

You use the Lasso Tool a lot whereas I find it really frustrating. I do most of my selections with the Quick Selection Tool and then tidy up afterwards.

I couldn't quite figure how you did your colour change but I think it was different to me. I used Layer Style/ColorOverlay/BlendMode/Color. I find it preserves the luminance really nicely.

I saw you used the Smudge Tool a lot where I probably would've used the Stamp Tool. I must try it your way.

Once again, fascinating to watch and I learnt a bit.

:)

Thanks guys for the comments, glad my video wasn't a waste of time afterall, since it took hours to import everything and get it all sorted out.

@Red_Bull I was the opposite of you to start off with. I was going for a rally car, hence the Impreza and the Focus WRC donor images, but after going through my own photo library, I found some decent donor images from the BTCC at Knockhill last year so went for it instead.

Awesome, I would actually be interested in watching a longer video. One where I could actually see which tools you were using and such.

I uploaded a slightly longer version to vimeo, it might be of some use to see what tools I used but if not, I'll either make a longer version since I still have all the screen captures or I'll write a list with a time code next to it.
[vimeo]8274394[/vimeo]

Icedvovo said:
You use the Lasso Tool a lot whereas I find it really frustrating. I do most of my selections with the Quick Selection Tool and then tidy up afterwards.

I couldn't quite figure how you did your colour change but I think it was different to me. I used Layer Style/ColorOverlay/BlendMode/Color. I find it preserves the luminance really nicely.

I saw you used the Smudge Tool a lot where I probably would've used the Stamp Tool. I must try it your way.

Once again, fascinating to watch and I learnt a bit.

I think we just use the tools that we are comfortable with. The polygonal lasso tool I find easy to use. The smudge tool probably isn't the best, but I can get quite good blends with it.

Also, I did the colour differently for this one than in previous ones. Firstly I normally do all the bodywork editing first, bumpers etc, then do the colour, and I'm sure I haven't used that method of changing colour before either. I used channel mixer to get the basic colour, then later on, can't remember where abouts in the video, I think I changed the brightness and contrast I think it was.

Sooooo...... January comp?

I'll take over if Red_Bull or Raheel can't do it.

Last edited:
It's not that I can't do it. I just felt that the competition needed a break given the dwindling numbers in the last few months of competition. I thought if I put it on hold for a couple of months, it'll give people some time to get their enthusiasm back.

I was also going to make a post saying where the heck was the jan comp but then remembered that it was on a break.
I was sort of waiting to enter this month though, Because I didn't enter for the earlier months. :( Hopefully there will be a Feb comp!