Should Germany Save Opel?

Things might be different in the USA, though. I guess there are some suppliers which deliver sub-standard parts to GM and Chrysler other car makers wouldn't ever use in their products... :lol:

That's exactly the point. All the clueful suppliers saw the writing on the wall years ago and transitioned to supplying the "foreign" marque plants in North America. The only suppliers that will go out of business if GM and Chrysler tank are those that were too stupid or too low quality to supply the other makers.

That said, it *would* hurt Ford, but Ford is probably frantically looking to get in with those suppliers that bailed on them back under Nasser and Bill Ford.

^ Just read that in the yellow press. So that's it for Opel I think. :rolleyes:

FCS its not just OPEL, Vauxhall and SAAB is in this too - all EU partners together, remember - sick of this national self interest as exemplified most grotesquely by Germany and France, either we are all in the EU or we are not.

Pardon me?

What's the business of the EU in buying OPEL out of GM with German taxpayer money?

Its an EU problem that should be dealt with by the EU. Its not just OPEL.

Right. So Vauxhall and Saab are doomed, too. What's the difference?

What's the business of the EU in buying OPEL out of GM with German taxpayer money?

Quite simple: That buying out Opel without Vauxhall (which U.K. market share is one Opel can only dream about) makes no sense and so the german government should stop treating Opel as a election campaign gimmick but let it die or work together with the other nations involved (Belgium, the U.K., not Sweden as they already decided to let Saab die) as it's not a national problem.

But as i stated before: The all are doomed, so it makes no difference.

Afraid you are right - kind of sad. SAAB could possibly have been saved had an EU approach to the business (Opel, Vauxhall and SAAB) been made from day 1.

Last edited:
I don't see EU states working together as in buying Opel & co. from GM, since the question of which country pays how much money likely is impossible to solve. Other than that, I don't see how every country should decide for themselves what's to happen with their incarnation of Opel.

Actually, the EU is a great idea. It's humanity that's crap.

We're getting close to real stupidity. It is not possible to "save" just one nation's part of a multi-national conglomerate like GM Europe. Today's Vauxhalls are basically badge-engineered Opels, Saabs are Opels with other bodyworks, production and (partly) r&d for all three brands is interwoven all through europe. Maybe Opel and Vauxhall would be able to survive without Saab, but all (german) plans to "save" Opel include ALL factories in continental Europe, not only the german ones. Most likely Vauxhall's licensing of Opel (GM, as Opel does not own shit, GM does) technology will not suffer from this.
The only reason no one takes it to the EU level is cause we got an election coming up. But as they all are doomed, it makes no difference.

Last edited:
And even if they should find a way to rescue Opel/Vauxhall - there is no time. GM probably only has weeks left and once Chapter 11 has been filed, there is no way to separate Opel/Vauxhall from GM anymore.

This is getting awfully exciting.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFnLKlAFK2o[/YOUTUBE]

:p

And even if they should find a way to rescue Opel/Vauxhall - there is no time. GM probably only has weeks left and once Chapter 11 has been filed, there is no way to separate Opel/Vauxhall from GM anymore.

Not true - a potential savior of Opel/Vauxhall could go before the bankruptcy court with an offer and a plan to take just that part of the company. It is up to the judge at that point.

Not true - a potential savior of Opel/Vauxhall could go before the bankruptcy court with an offer and a plan to take just that part of the company. It is up to the judge at that point.

Yes, but do you think the judge would freely give away GM's most important R&D facility?

And even if he did, do you think Opel would have a chance without its patents, or rather: Would somebody buy Opel without the patents in the first place?

Last edited: