Snow!

How's the Sierra running these days btw ? Oh yeah, riiiiight.

It isn't.

I'm sorry.

:p

There's always the Volvo :p Which is an actual REAL PROPER
REAR-WHEEL DRIVE CAR

How's the handbrake on the F, has the cable snapped yet? :lol:

Not yet, and the studs on the tyres haven't started shedding :)

Meh to both FWD (AKA PWD) and RWD. 4X4 is the way to go.

FWD is better in the snow, anyway. You can pull the handbrake and drift better on dirt roads that way.

In fact, RWD sucks, especially on Fords. Aren't Sierras FWD, anyway?

You mean Ford Wheel Drive.

Meh to both FWD (AKA PWD) and RWD. 4X4 is the way to go.

Selectable 4x4 too. That way we can have all the fun of RWD and when we get stuck we pull a lever and laugh at the puny RWD vehicles that need us to come pull them out of the ditch.

After a bit of experimenting today, Im able to conclude that the right rear tire of the Volvo has no studs left on it, the other 3 are perfectly fine :\ So now I can only do power over when turning left, when turning right I only get wheelspin from 1 tire :(

whats the reason for its studless state? lack of grip of your superior RWD car for winter?

whats the reason for its studless state? lack of grip of your superior RWD car for winter?

Nope, sliding about on intermittent snow coverage. Going from snow/ice to a patch of tarmac at full throttle does that to the studs :) Im probably going to swap out one of the front tires to the rear next week :)

well sliding when on uneven surface is imo stupidity... especially when not paying for the tires...

Why have FWD or RWD when you can have both at the same time? :)

We don't have much snow, ever, so I can't tell you what the SIII is like in it. I expect slidey.

We don't have much snow, ever, so I can't tell you what the SIII is like in it. I expect slidey.

Awd is the next best option after RWD, and definately the one to go with if you get a LOT of snow (doesn't make that much sense in southern finland for instance) The SIII's handling would depend a lot on the tires, but I suspect it would be quite scary. (quite tall, skinny tires and crap steering) If the tires are skinny enough, it could be quite fast, but I suspect you'd need to work needlessly hard on the steering wheel to get smooth slides :)

It probably rides alot like a Jeep in the snow. Super slidey in RWD and stil quite slidy in 4x4 due to the short wheelbase

Awd is the next best option after RWD, and definately the one to go with if you get a LOT of snow (doesn't make that much sense in southern finland for instance)

Ahemm.....I gather you have zero experience from black ice then ? Even with my yet limited experience in a 4WD car, I can assure you that it is far from "not making much sense".

It does make sense, and a lot of it. Until you have tried to navigate an iced up highway ramp, which is a downhill decline and banked, you have no say in this. Sure, we may not get the hugest amounts of snow in southern Finland, but we do have ice...black ice.

You are more than welcome to try your powersliding Sierra against my Quattro...we'll see who has the "real proper winter car".

I've never claimed that my Sierra is a proper winter car, the steering is slow and it hasn't got all that much steering angle. But if 80% (estimate) of people manage just fine without a 4wd system, it doesn't make all that much sense. A limited slip diff in a rwd car will have plenty of traction provided you have good tires. Also, my car cost 500?, yours didn't.

I thought Finland was made of snow. :dunno:

I've never claimed that my Sierra is a proper winter car, the steering is slow and it hasn't got all that much steering angle. But if 80% (estimate) of people manage just fine without a 4wd system, it doesn't make all that much sense. A limited slip diff in a rwd car will have plenty of traction provided you have good tires. Also, my car cost 500?, yours didn't.

Well, if what I see on the road is any indication, I'd say that the vast majority of people with RWD stay home in the snow, FWD does pretty well as long as the roads are kept clear, and 4WD/AWD is out in all weather. If it gets deep enough then even the cars stay home and you only see high-clearance vehicles out.

I do think that the weakest part of any car is the nut that connects the steering wheel to the seat. I've driven AWD, 4WD, FWD, and RWD (auto and stick, NA and turbo) in snow and up very tricky grades. I've never not made it home.

Assuming drivers are equal, for regular automotive use in snow 4WD and AWD > FWD > RWD.

. Also, my car cost 500?, yours didn't.

Isn't that how ricers justify their 1989 Civic with 200 billion miles on it, slammed suspension and obnoxious exhaust? "If I put X amount of dollars into it, it will be faster than your car!"

"Yeah, but it's still a 1989 Civic..."

:dunno: