The Android thread

No, but that sounds like a brilliant idea. Hadn't found that option before. However, I just tried it and I'm not sure it works...shouldn't it need to "reconnect"? I locked mine, and then unlocked it a minute later, and it looked like it never disconnected....

Your phone might be different, but on mine, you have to go into the wifi settings, then press the menu button again to select "Advanced" wifi settings, and it's there under "Wi-Fi sleep policy". My phone is able to reconnect to the wifi very quickly after unlocking, but it's not instant.

No, but that sounds like a brilliant idea. Hadn't found that option before. However, I just tried it and I'm not sure it works...shouldn't it need to "reconnect"? I locked mine, and then unlocked it a minute later, and it looked like it never disconnected....

I dunno about the software preload that's on the Charge, but the Stratosphere (same phone pretty much but with a slide out keyboard) I have "loves" wi-fi. It'll prompt you to connect to wi-fi if you try and launch any app that uses data and there's also no way to turn the wi-fi off unless you download a widget from the market or dive into settings. It's one of those "wonderful" :rolleyes: Verizon tweaks to accommodate people on tiered data, and I turned off that setting as soon as I got the device, and threw a wi-fi off widget on the homescreen.

As you noticed, Verizon also switched the wi-fi power management setting to "always on." The same thing was the case on my device when I configured it. If you switch it to off when screen goes off, you won't notice the icon change IIRC. I can break out my OG Droid to ensure that this is the case.

If there's no 4G say..at your house..or vice versa at work, you can turn off 4G data for those times when you're in those non 4G places: Menu Key -> Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> System Selection -> CDMA Mode. Choose Automatic from the options shown. When you exit settings, you should see the status icon in the bar at the top change from 4G to 3G if you're in a 4G area. If you're not, it'll just prevent the phone from searching for a 4G signal. Both cases, it'll save you great amounts of battery life.

Navigation I've found to be a battery hog, both on my current phone and my OG droid. I strongly recommend using a car charger whenever you're using navigation.

I haven't noticed any overheating issues on mine yet, but I'll keep on the lookout for it I guess.

Your phone might be different, but on mine, you have to go into the wifi settings, then press the menu button again to select "Advanced" wifi settings, and it's there under "Wi-Fi sleep policy". My phone is able to reconnect to the wifi very quickly after unlocking, but it's not instant.

Yes, I did find it there by going to Settings/Wireless & Network/Wi-Fi Settings/Advanced/Wi-Fi sleep policy. I selected "When screen turns off."

Then, I went to the screen that shows all active networks in range, and locked it. I came back 10 minutes later, and it was still said "connected." Just seems like it should need to reconnect. *shrugs*

Yes, I did find it there by going to Settings/Wireless & Network/Wi-Fi Settings/Advanced/Wi-Fi sleep policy. I selected "When screen turns off."

Then, I went to the screen that shows all active networks in range, and locked it. I came back 10 minutes later, and it was still said "connected." Just seems like it should need to reconnect. *shrugs*

You must have jinxed mine, too, because now it's doing the same thing. D:

Read, learn:

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-101-save-battery-keeping-wifi-alive

wifi_sleep_policy.jpg

This tip is one that seems counter-intuitive, but you can save a lot of wear and tear on your Android phone's battery if you tell it to keep the Wifi radio turned on and connected while the phone is sleeping. Your phone needs a lot of juice to keep pinging those cell towers, and even more to transmit data to and from them. Wifi radios use much less power because of their design, and they don't have to keep searching for a better access point. It's the way cellular data communication was designed, and it's a necessary evil.
But what if you're spending all day (or all evening) in one place, connected to Wifi? If you tell your phone to shut off Wifi when idle, it bounces back to cellular data (be it 2G, 3G, or 4G) and starts sucking down the electrons again when the screen shuts off. That's no good, and easy to fix:

• Open the advanced Wifi settings by pressing the menu button, then Settings, Wireless & networks, Wi-Fi settings, and tapping the menu button again. You'll have a choice to either Scan, or go Advanced -- go Advanced.
  • Tap the Wi-Fi sleep policy entry, and you'll get a pop up dialog with the choices you see in the picture above. Choose Never.
Now even when your phone goes into standby mode, you'll stay connected to Wifi and be able to get mail and messages without turning the cell radio back on and trouncing your battery life. And for the times when you're not in an area with a Wifi connection, just shut Wifi off, either through the menu or with a handy toggle widget. Your battery will thank you for it.

mymindisfulloffuck.jpg

Thanks!

If I'm traveling, though, with WiFi turned on, wouldn't the constant trying to connect/find possible connections drain it faster? The places I've heard this must be full of shit, then. Not surprised. *laughs*

It seems like, though, when I'm sittin' at home, that my battery drains faster when WiFi is turned on.

Well, the gist of it is that if you can ensure a stable wifi connection, it'll drain less battery (but you have to keep it on even when screen is off, otherwise it'll switch to hungry hungry 3G) and when you're out, turn wifi off completely so it doesn't drain the battery by constantly searching for networks.

mymindisfulloffuck.jpg

Thanks!

If I'm traveling, though, with WiFi turned on, wouldn't the constant trying to connect/find possible connections drain it faster? The places I've heard this must be full of shit, then. Not surprised. *laughs*

It seems like, though, when I'm sittin' at home, that my battery drains faster when WiFi is turned on.

*foot shoved in mouth.jpg*

I forgot about that article tbh. Good work IceBone! :)

I have definitely found the stuff in Ice Bone's link to be the truth for me. My phone will last 3 days sometimes if I'm at home and its connected to wifi. If I'm out and about using 3g, it will sometimes last a day and a half but that is pushing it. Usually its about 8-12 hours from 100% to 20% and less if I am in a crappy coverage area where it is searching constantly.

Last edited:
I'm going back to watch the ICS and galaxy nexus announcement and I realized once again that no-one was clapping or applauding like at the apple meetings.

Is that an indicator of more mature fanboyism (if there is such a thing) or better marketing by apple?

I'm going back to watch the ICS and galaxy nexus announcement and I realized once again that no-one was clapping or applauding like at the apple meetings.

Is that an indicator of more mature fanboyism (if there is such a thing) or better marketing by apple?

I'd say the latter leading to the former.

Apparently it's bad form for journalists to clap during announcements, at least from what I've heard from listening to BOL over the years. It's mostly people who worked on the product/devs who are doing the clapping.

Apple has a sort of charisma during it's keynotes that no one can match. Obviously that was due to Steve and even during the latest keynote without him, you could feel a distinct change in audience reaction. We won't know until the next keynote whether this was because some of the people who would do the clapping, knew that Steve was on his deathbed at the time or whether people just aren't enamored without him being on stage.

I'd say the latter leading to the former.

Word

Apparently it's bad form for journalists to clap during announcements, at least from what I've heard from listening to BOL over the years. It's mostly people who worked on the product/devs who are doing the clapping.

Apple has a sort of charisma during it's keynotes that no one can match. Obviously that was due to Steve and even during the latest keynote without him, you could feel a distinct change in audience reaction. We won't know until the next keynote whether this was because some of the people who would do the clapping, knew that Steve was on his deathbed at the time or whether people just aren't enamored without him being on stage.

So essentially what you're saying is that the journalists don't clap to show their lack of bias? Part of that still bugs me because I get the sense that this display of "lack of bias" goes out the window when it comes to the apple keynotes. I dunno, that could just be me talking out of my ass/speculation. But I think you're right about Steve Jobs, maybe that was the reason. Yeah we def won't know until we see the next keynote and gauge audience reactions.

Damn... I just missed it... I was at the gym. I wonder how long it'll take them to put it up on their channel.

Damn... I just missed it... I was at the gym. I wonder how long it'll take them to put it up on their channel.

Missed what?

You still haven't said what "it" is :lol:.

So what is it?