The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Oh, and I put half a bottle of Seafoam in the tank, fired it up, and went on a loooong ride...

scaled.php

It's just nice to see a fine example of a simple, naked, fairing-free motorcycle in the midst of all these shitjammer monstrosities.

Just wait until you see a Vetter fairing on a Triumph Rocket:

looking-good-6.jpg

Yeah! Old bike fairings! The 1970s and 1980s will never die!

83_venture-Royale_600.jpg

You sure that's an '03? Black frame suggests it's later. '03 is when they went to that frame shape, but it was silver.

Guy who posted it says it's his bike and that it's an 03. He posted to ADVrider.

yeah, because no one on the Internet would ever lie about owning a vehicle... why he would lie about owning that is beyond me.

Well, I posted this in my 'post your car' thread, but apparently my '78 DT125E is actually a numbers matching '79 DT175F (frame and bottom end) with the cylinder and cylinder head of DT125. Um, this can't possibly work like this could it?

Well, I posted this in my 'post your car' thread, but apparently my '78 DT125E is actually a numbers matching '79 DT175F (frame and bottom end) with the cylinder and cylinder head of DT125. Um, this can't possibly work like this could it?

I actually remember hearing so on ADVrider that it actually does work, IIRC.

I actually remember hearing so on ADVrider that it actually does work, IIRC.

Asked my question there and got reffered to YamahaEnduro.com. Sounds like if I run my bike that way its gonna be a 125cc. However, from all the talk I've seen, I'd be an idiot to not get the right parts - the 175 is apparenty the bike of the DT series to have.

Asked my question there and got reffered to YamahaEnduro.com. Sounds like if I run my bike that way its gonna be a 125cc. However, from all the talk I've seen, I'd be an idiot to not get the right parts - the 175 is apparenty the bike of the DT series to have.
For the "smaller" engines, yeah, the 175 is the one to have. The 250-400cc bikes have a slightly larger/heavier chassis, brakes, suspension, etc. Running a 175 instead of a 125 is like a 40% increase in displacement, with no other changes necessary, so if you can afford to do it you should.

Edit: For you, the 175cc engine is the one to have. For me, it's the 400cc, except I'm not suicidal enough to want a near half-liter two-stroke in a 35 year old bike. :?

Last edited:
Edit: For you, the 175cc engine is the one to have. For me, it's the 400cc, except I'm not suicidal enough to want a near half-liter two-stroke in a 35 year old bike. :?

Really? I would rather like a large displacement 70s 2-stroke, especially the Suzuki GT750.

[video=youtube;AWkGadS-FWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWkGadS-FWw[/video]

What a noise :drool:

Well, it turns out The Nighthawk might be on the road sooner than I thought. As I just found a guy who has HONDA-ONLY motorcycle salvage yard 30 mins away from me.

The reason behind the sudden motivation is due to the fact that the VT500 has developed quite a severe problem with the clutch linkage. It appears to have broken just in time that we get weather that doesn't require me bundling up to look like the Michelin man to go riding. So I need to get back on two wheels, pronto!

Well, it turns out The Nighthawk might be on the road sooner than I thought. As I just found a guy who has HONDA-ONLY motorcycle salvage yard 30 mins away from me.

The reason behind the sudden motivation is due to the fact that the VT500 has developed quite a severe problem with the clutch linkage. It appears to have broken just in time that we get weather that doesn't require me bundling up to look like the Michelin man to go riding. So I need to get back on two wheels, pronto!

I know how you feel. Right now it is 77 and party cloudy, and my goldwing is half disassembled waiting on me to get the time to swap the forks and a laundry list of parts that need replacing.

Really? I would rather like a large displacement 70s 2-stroke, especially the Suzuki GT750.
It could be fun in road bike, but the only riding I do offroad is on tight, wooded trails. I hit enough trees without having twice the power at my disposal haha.

Well, Blaro and I just got back from The Honda parts seller.

The parts shop was in Wilmington, MA. It was slightly bigger than a 2-car garage and packed with old Honda's (Mostly CB750s). The guy had trash cans full of parts. The guy also had boxes full of parts that he carefully organized. Going through the stuff, I felt like I was on an episode of American Pickers!

I was able to get (for the nighthawk) a left side switch, some cheapo mirrors, and some other odds and ends for cheap! Blaro was also able to get the part that he needed for his Honda.

Not only that, but the seller told me that he is moving his shop to the next town over from mine. So instead of being 40 minutes away from me, he'll be 5 minutes away from me. :D

For those that are interested in getting some Honda parts, the guy also sells parts on ebay.

Last edited: