The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

:lol:

I don't understand choppers, they all look exactly the same. But the prices aren't. (To be fair my knowledge is coming from shitty t.v. shows)

But a customer says "I can spend $20/30/60k" They reply "yeah, we can do it for that"
No matter the price, they can do it and it looks the fucking same as a cheap one.

Well, you're wrong.
:p

So, october marks my 6 months with riding a motorcycle 3-4 days a week. Now that I understand more about bikes, and the advantages of different bikes, I am looking for a bike for which would better suit my riding preferences....which would now fall under the line of "Sport Touring". Commuting some distance, while still being able to ride some nice backroads.

Considering selling my R6 and picking up a Honda VFR800. Any comments on this move?

- - - Updated - - -

I also would really want this Honda. Want it so damn bad. it hurts me.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/4731058734.html

The VFR800 is a fantastic bike, I've had mine for years and have over 60,000 miles on the clock. I recommend the 5th Generation VFR800 for the reliability, simplicity, longevity, and engine characteristics. Although it is an 800, it doesn't have the same power delivery as a track-oriented bike, in fact, the best thing about the VFR800 is the linear power delivery. The 6th Generation VFR added Vtec, which creates a flat spot in the middle of the range (about 5,400 RPM), followed by a big lump of power that typically happens mid-corner. It is one of the few times you can look at a successor being measurably inferior to it's predecessor in some way.

The 5th Gen VFR didn't use chains or belts to drive the top end, instead it used a gear-driven system that both reduces maintenance and gives the bike it's distinctive sound. I commuted on a 5th Gen in the Bay Area, had a blast in the canyons, and the bike has been ridden by my friend on multi-day sport-touring trips. Being a big guy (6'4"), the VFR feels more like a sport bike to me and less like a big ST bike, but the low seat height makes it manageable for my wife, who has a 29" inseam. In fact, she has started using the VFR for commuting to work and we have set it up to be her touring bike for the next season.

I have never had or ridden the Hawk, but I know other members here have owned or ridden it. They could give you a better idea about that bike.

The gear-driven cams on the 5th gen VFR are appealing. I like the headlights and design of the 5th gen much most aesthetics wise.

All you need to do is read up on what people say about the bike. Earlier this year it made the cover is Sport Rider as one of the best all-around bikes for the money. A few years ago a bike reviewer borrowed one in the Bay Area and reviewed it as if it was a new bike on the market and it did very well. A very clean, low miles example can be had for less than $5,000 and while it won't be supersport-quick, it won't leave you wanting for power. Unlike a track day bike, it is more forgiving and predictable.

The engine is about as bomb-proof as it gets and the single-sided swingarm will spoil you when it comes time for tire changes (the rear wheel bolts on like a car tire). Be sure that any bike you get comes with the notch spanner to adjust the chain tension. Normally this is where I point out known problems with the bike, but there really aren't any with the Gen 5, it is about as perfect as bikes can get in my opinion.

Those are a different take on a similar theme.

I don't understand choppers hatchbacks, they all look exactly the same. But the prices aren't.

Seriously now: choppers are custom-built vehicles, so reason and pricing are foreign concepts.

Yes, join the 5th gen master race. As of this morning's commute, I'm at 77,480 miles :mrgreen:

They're great machines, as Blind has already attested. There's plenty of support our there on various forums, and of course, us. Parts and aftermarket are good, but you might have to dig for some items.

AFAIK, never sold here in Brazil. :(

More expensive to own than a Ducati, and less reliable. Check out their recent recalls.

Right now BMW is dead last in reliability.

Right now BMW is dead last in reliability.

Hey, it's called "character"! What do you want, some limp-wristed bike that starts when you want it to, doesn't chew itself to bits, a shaft drive that doesn't grenade itself and electronics that actually work? Man, you guys are soft!

Seriously though, the reliability on my bike has been frankly shite. I'd beware any BMWs.

So I got my first taste of a cruiser today. And I liked it, although, I may have cheated with this particular example :p

New Indian Scout :D What a fun bike it was, flickable little thing, I just wish that I hadn't been stuck behind so many slow pokes so I could have really wrung it out. I'll be posting a short video later.
tYH7YAS.jpg

Verdict:
-Drivetrain is excellent, engine is very smooth and refined, as is the gearbox
-Brakes are a bit crap (never bothered with the rear)
-Handles adroitly, very light weight, IIRC 500lbs
-Rear suspension is a bit choppy

I still don't like forward controls, but the second Indian makes a standard, I'll probably buy one...

Also, this guy showed up :heart:
QWazTFI.jpg

Hey, it's called "character"! What do you want, some limp-wristed bike that starts when you want it to, doesn't chew itself to bits, a shaft drive that doesn't grenade itself and electronics that actually work? Man, you guys are soft!

Seriously though, the reliability on my bike has been frankly shite. I'd beware any BMWs.
Honda VFR800, Honda ST1300.

I'm going to go with "Yeah".

Honda VFR800, Honda ST1300.

I'm going to go with "Yeah".

Been there with the VTR250. In a brain meltdown brought on by spending too much time with a Ducati-loving hipster accomplice, I decided I wanted more "soul". That got me a bike whose electronics died mid-corner and left me stranded for a couple of hours waiting for a lift and an indicator switch that has failed 3 times. Now I'm looking at a new Monster 1200S.

Yes, I'm a sucker for punishment.