The Gun thread

He didn't specify, but it sounded like a variety of issues. He said most the Glocks had several failures each over the weekend, his was the only pistol to not have some kind of malfunction.

Geez...

Exhibit A on why you should RTFM on any tool you've never used before. :p Also, when RTFM, make sure you don't have reading comprehension fail. Otherwise, you end up with some expensive mistakes, as the guy demonstrated.

Last edited:
That doesn't work so well on firearms with heavier recoil or that have certain vibratory characteristics under recoil. You can't get away with that on my FAL or Saiga 12 most of the time, for example

I put an NcStar red dot on the Saiga with that technique and it shot loose in just a few drums. I put it back on with proper torque and it stayed on until the NcStar died about 400-500 rounds later. (It was almost free and I wanted to see how long it would take the Saiga to kill it. Answer: Not all that long.) I put an Aimpoint on top of it after that, mounted properly. :D

I probably should trade the Aimpoint for a holographic sight - while it works well, I like holos on shotguns a lot better.

Last edited:
Oh, the AR affliction. I've got 2 Geissele triggers coming thanks to weekend sales. Couldn't say no to a Hi-Speed National Match DMR trigger for under $200 for my .308 and an SSA for $155 for my more middle-of-the-road AR15. I had settled on a Timney Targa 2-stage for about $190 and probably a cheaper single stage for the other, but when the Geisseles went on sale I couldn't pass it up.
One day these 2 guns will be done (yeah right).

Nothing to be functional. I'm planning on a red dot for the AR15 and I'd like a bipod for the .308.
Then there might be minor upgrades on other things, mostly for fun/appearance/satisfy-the-tinkering-bug. Engraved dust covers, for example.

I put an NcStar red dot on the Saiga with that technique and it shot loose in just a few drums. I put it back on with proper torque and it stayed on until the NcStar died about 400-500 rounds later. (It was almost free and I wanted to see how long it would take the Saiga to kill it. Answer: Not all that long.)
Against all advice, I once tried an NcStar front sight. After each shot it folded down, it couldn't be adjusted low enough to acquire zero, and after ~60 shots the post fell out completely.

Against all advice, I once tried an NcStar front sight. After each shot it folded down, it couldn't be adjusted low enough to acquire zero, and after ~60 shots the post fell out completely.

To be fair, NcStar says their folding sights are intended for Airsoft or .22LR use. The NcStar red dots, however, claimed they were "shock proof" and "rated for .50BMG use."

Came here to post that. :lol:

Interesting result with the dry ice and the stripping of the copper jacket.

:( Never, ever try to catch a gun. Just let it fall - modern handguns (at least half-decent ones) are designed to NOT go off when dropped. Besides, if you drop a gun in a match, you get disqualified whether you catch it or not, so just be safe and let it fall.

Speaking of competition, I finished in the top ten in my division of ~35 shooters in this weekend's state championship. I also won a pistol in a raffle at that match. Totally worth being on my feet for over ten hours in 90+ degree weather. On top of that, I was asked to officially join a local shooting team*. Awesome weekend overall.

*Don't think Olympic style team or something. It's a club/team that hosts matches at the range I belong to. There are only a handful of such clubs/teams in the state and this one is widely regarded as the best one. I've been helping them run matches for a few years and was finally offered the official club/team jersey to represent them at matches.

Last edited:
What kind of pistol did you win? Based on the fact you haven't mentioned the brand, I'm guessing it's a Taurus. :p

:lol: HiPoint

Nah, Ruger American. I'm a big Ruger fan and have several of their guns but their centerline pistols never truly appealed to me. This is a new model though so we'll see if I like it - pretty sure I'm not about to give up my Glocks though.