The Hobbit

This is the internet, it was invented so people would have a place to complain about everything :p

Am I the only one who goes to the cinema for the entertainment, rather than going there to analyse the movie and point out every mistake?

No. You are not alone.

I for my part have neither an idea, what a "Wilhelm scream" is, nor do I feel any urge to learn about it.

And why should I ruin my fun? I'm not a masochist.

One of my pet peeves and a guaranteed suspension of disbelief issue, how focking misguided a moviemaker do you have to be to pump millions in things like special effects, all star casts, over-hyping, in this case a change in picture quality nobody asked for, but you still end up using stock soundbits because you could not be arsed to record something original.

I think it's more of a tradition or an homage than a lack of actual sound source.

I don't mind it.

Yeah, from what I read up on it (couldn't resist after all), it's become kind of an insider joke between movie directors. Has nothing to do with being sloppy in sound design.

It's not much of an insider joke anymore if everyone knows about it and picks it up a mile away is it......

There are a few of those standard clips floating around, sheep sounds, 'police' radio chatter in the background, always the same clips, it just breaks the immersion if you recognize it.

Last edited:
I don't know, in my experience the casual viewer doesn't even notice it. I tried to "point" it out to my gf but she had no idea what I was talking about.

At any rate I don't think it detracts from the quality of the movie at all. I think of it as more of an easter egg.

True enough, then again I'm not the average casual viewer, or maybe I should just stop reading TVtropes :p

Last edited:
Why are some people so keen on suggesting Peter Jackson lucre?

My theory is, that their own life is dominated by the wish for more money and therefore cannot imagine somebody doing anything for more than just profit. But that's just my theory...

The Lord of the Rings is three books, yes. Three very loooong and in big parts very boooooring books in my opinion. And Peter Jackson cut aways lots of the excess fat from the story to squeeze it into three movies.

However, The Hobbit also tells a very complex story but it was written for children. Therefore the language is simpler, the descriptions are shorter and the whole plot is much faster in pace. Only on the first glance one could assume, that the relatively small book "The Hobbit" doesn't contain enough meat for three films.

But it does. In fact, I have the audio book of The Hobbit and it takes about 9 hours to listen to it completely.

Yes, they're obviously milking the cow by doing 3 movies. I think it's kinda naughty aswell, but as a consumer you have two choices. Either you go and see it or you don't. I'll go see all of them.

I don't mind. The amount new well thought of movies coming out isn't that great.

I just finished reading the book and I can see how they can make 3 movies out of it. As MacGuffin said, a lot of the descriptions are very short. There are a few battle scenes that are only about a page long but in movie form could easily be 20 minutes. In the book the Necromancer is also barely mentioned (It literally says something like "Gandalf and the other two wizards fought off the Necromancer"), and from the looks of it they are going to pursue that whole story in the movie. PJ also does quite a bit more backstory in the movie than is given in the book, which I do enjoy. Not to mention things like majestically strolling through hills can be a sentence in a book but a good couple minutes on film. At any rate I don't think any of the next 2 movies will be boring.

Go buy the Hobbit if you have a Kindle, I think it's only a few bucks and it's a good read.

From screenrant.com -

It?s one thing to adapt a three-volume piece of material into three separate films, but a roughly 300-paged (depending on the edition) tale divided up into three movies? Jackson admitted, ?We were originally doing two films,? but pointed out, ?It?s a misleading book. It?s written at a really breathless pace. Pretty major events of the story are covered in two or three pages.? He even goes as far to liken it to a child?s bedtime story. While this might make it sound as though The Hobbit is even less suitable for a three-film adaptation, Jackson notes that making this film called for some serious character development and conflict.

Armitage used the dwarves as an example. ?The dwarf characters, for instance, in Tolkien?s book, they?re very thinly sketched and actually they?re a bit of an amorphous group whereas [in the film] every single dwarf you will get to know throughout the course of this journey.? He continued, ?As you?ve seen from the first film, the grand themes are feathered into the texture of it and in order to do that fully and allow each character to have their moment and to play their part in those themes, you will absolutely need three films to do it properly.?

McKellen was a bit more blunt about it, explaining, ?Anyone who thinks Peter Jackson would fall for market forces rather than artistic imperative doesn?t know the guy and hasn?t examined the body of his work.? He joked, ?If we just had made one movie of The Hobbit, the fact is that all the fans, and I?m thinking of the eight, nine, ten-year-old boys and girls, they would watch it 1,000 times. Well, they?ve now got three films they can watch 1,000 times.?

In all seriousness, Jackson pointed out, ?We also adapt the appendices from The Return of the King,? which tacks on about another 100 pages of material. The goal was to use that material to expand The Hobbit while also connecting it to The Lord of the Rings.?

The Silmarillion isn't much longer than The Hobbit, but to adequately film it you'd have to turn it into a TV mini-series.

(How fucking awesome would that be!!!!!)

I'd have no problem with that. It would put Game of Thrones to shame. Imagine the fall of Gondolin. Glorfindel fighting a Balrog as he leads refugees over the pass, out of the city.

Not enough sex for a mytho-historical TV epic nowadays; either that or it could become the end of that trend.