The "New Toys" Thread

6.25% tax here, used to be 5%. However go north a bit to New Hampshire and there is no tax.

VAT is a Value Added Tax so the logic in saying it's not a tax is well stupid?

He didn't say it wasn't a tax.

Do other countries have different taxes around the country? The US goes from 0% sales tax in Oregon to 10.25% (or higher) in places like Chicago.

Yeah, the GCC know how to tax.

We pay 7.25% here. I was surprised to see it so low in Switzerland though. Beats most other US states, actually.

Oh, I was thinking US states were like 2-3%. Shows up much my Oregon ass knows about sales tax. :lol:

6% here in CT.

12.875% here :(

5% federal tax, + 7.5% provincial tax (soon to be raised by 1 additionnal %, than another % in 2012) that is calculated on the sales amount with the federal taxe.

So yeah, we pay taxes on taxes (insert yo dog comment here).

Last edited:
German 19% VAT is quite a lot, but at least it's already included in the list price (only list prices for corporate buyers usually exclude it). I found it incredibly annoying to have to add taxes to prices of pretty much everything I bought while in the US.

German 19% VAT is quite a lot, but at least it's already included in the list price (only list prices for corporate buyers usually exclude it). I found it incredibly annoying to have to add taxes to prices of pretty much everything I bought while in the US.

I hear ya. I don't have sales tax, so when I go into a store when out of state and see something for $1.95, I get confused for a moment when I have to find three 1's instead two. heh

I really liked that about Germany (don't know how it is in the rest of the EU), though I still found a few places that didn't include tax.

It's the most obnoxious thing in the world when you go somewhere, pull out cash and then find you're 43 cents short because tax isn't calculated.

When I was first in Ger