The "New Toys" Thread

Centrecom in Melbourne, and $860 I think, its on order.

Yeah, but that thing has little lock doohikies on the drive bays. All four of them.

That money buys you an Atom board, memory, a decent raid-controller, drives, and a case.

I paid a ton for my NetGear NAS Adu, but its worth it having the entire unit compact, small, totally under a 5yr warranty and with a lot of support. It's cheaper to do lots of stuff in parts, sometimes buying it whole is easier tho :)

Is that with or without disks?
Without, 4 x 2TB WD Greens going in it.

For $860 it better be with. :S
AUD....

That money buys you an Atom board, memory, a decent raid-controller, drives, and a case.
$300 for the board, $70 for the memory, $240 for a good raid controller (proper hardware based adaptec or similar), well drives not included, $215 for a case (you can get cheaper cases, but they arnt as nice to work on). Say half a day to build it at my usual charge out rate .... lots. I'd preferr to be making money than building it :)

This is in, on and go. Good support, designed to do exactly what I want. I've done the build it myself routine, it works but you need to design, build, rollover and maintain.
I recently shifted work onto a pure NAS box. Issues dropped to 0, maintenance is when they release a firmware upgrade. Have the office girl plugging an external hdd in for the backup. It's win win.

It's still a complete rip-off.
See above...... aaaannnnd I'm not paying for it :D

Last edited:
Lovely so far. I also have a Beocom 6000 (same as the 1 now), this one is a bit lighter, the interface is a bit more modern and streamlined. It is a tiny phone though- 6" tall and an inch thick, about 1.75" wide. It's more comfortable to hold than the com 6000/1 as well since this one isn't all angular. Call quality is good too, though I haven't tried walking around the block while on a call to see how well it works. The only complaint I have with it is the plastic cover isn't quite tight enough, so pressing a button on the phone with moderate force you can feel the cover and the body of the phone flex slightly. I bet this can be fixed with a bit of fiddling though.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity I just pulled the cover off the phone, and stuck it back on, and now that flexing feeling is basically gone.

Last edited:
I just sprung for a GTX 460 Sonic Platinum... aka almost 20% oc'd Fermi that pulls ahead the GTX470 in some tests and stays rather silent all of the time... I hope...

I just sprung for a GTX 460 Sonic Platinum... aka almost 20% oc'd Fermi that pulls ahead the GTX470 in some tests and stays rather silent all of the time... I hope...

:thumbsup: i approve...

and i got:
large1.jpg
+
sandiskmicrosd16gb.jpg

and yes i know it's got a pretty basic screen, but i can live with that for a price of less than 200euros :p

Last edited:
Let us know how it is. It seems pretty tempting as a cheap android phone to muck around with.

Let us know how it is. It seems pretty tempting as a cheap android phone to muck around with.

will do =)

except for the screen it's pretty good i'd say... so i'll have to see how much of a restriction that is. according to some tests, certain apps won't be installable from the android market, but you can install them nonetheless if you just pull the file onto the sd card via PC etc etc...

A friend of mine has a Tattoo which has the exact same screen and he complains a lot. There's apps that are restricted due to screen size, other apps just don't look as nice... :/

A friend of mine has a Tattoo which has the exact same screen and he complains a lot. There's apps that are restricted due to screen size, other apps just don't look as nice... :/

Wouldn't that be a problem for many Android phones? I mean, they all have different resolutions? :hmm:

I don't know why it is, since all android scales all the apps automatically anyway... :S