The "New Toys" Thread

I just sprung for a GTX 460 Sonic Platinum... aka almost 20% oc'd Fermi that pulls ahead the GTX470 in some tests and stays rather silent all of the time... I hope...

I don't see how that's possible considering at stock speeds, my 470 gets to 90C at 50-60% fan speed. OC'ing it is gonna generate extra heat which has to be dissipated. My fan literally sounds like a hair dryer at 100%.

I don't see how that's possible considering at stock speeds, my 470 gets to 90C at 50-60% fan speed. OC'ing it is gonna generate extra heat which has to be dissipated. My fan literally sounds like a hair dryer at 100%.

What you need is one of these.

I got one for my 4670 (overkill, I know) last year because the stock fan was very loud. It'll keep your card cooler (it's made of freakin' copper, not plastic) and run much quieter than the stock fan. There was nothing more annoying than a little fan spinning at 100% constantly while playing a game. Trust me, it's totally worth it, even if your stock fan isn't broken. :)

Last edited:

I got one for my 4670 (overkill, I know) last year because the stock fan was very loud. It'll keep your card cooler (it's made of freakin' copper, not plastic) and run much quieter than the stock fan. There was nothing more annoying than a little fan spinning at 100% constantly while playing a game. Trust me, it's totally worth it, even if your stock fan isn't broken. :)

I hope you don't honestly think that the stock cooler is made of plastic? Sure it has a plastic cover, but underneath it lies copper heatpipes and aluminum heatsinks (judging from a picture).

And besides, that Zalman VF1000 won't fit the latest NVidia cards, the GTX 470 would need the new Zalman VF3000N.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket coolers for the 400 series cards.

I hope you don't honestly think that the stock cooler is made of plastic? Sure it has a plastic cover, but underneath it lies copper heatpipes and aluminum heatsinks (judging from a picture).

And besides, that Zalman VF1000 won't fit the latest NVidia cards, the GTX 470 would need the new Zalman VF3000N.

This cooler is specifically optimized and designed for reference VGA cards NVIDIA GeForce GTX260, GTX275, GTX280, GTX285.

Not to mention that blows the heat into the case instead of out the back of the case.

According to various tests, its really really good and silent in idle, but off course will go up a bit when under load. One test actually stated that it'll go up to noise a little bit more than my current 9600GT, but that's still not bad. I game with headphones...
They chopped more than a billion transistors of the thing, so the thermals are ok this time. The chip only get to something like 75?C under load...

According to various tests, its really really good and silent in idle, but off course will go up a bit when under load. One test actually stated that it'll go up to noise a little bit more than my current 9600GT, but that's still not bad. I game with headphones...
They chopped more than a billion transistors of the thing, so the thermals are ok this time. The chip only get to something like 75?C under load...

this.
a gtx460 is a completely different chip from the 470 or 480, so you can't compare them. as buba said, they reduced the number of transistors by about a third which somehow makes the thing totally great.
according to the tests i read, the gtx460 (idle as well as full load) is less noisy than all the (stock) 5000 series radeons (which can be considered rather quiet) and stays below 75?C.
it's a miracle this :? also, the card is rather small and the cooler doesn't seem ridiculously large... how did they do that?

I'm not aware of any aftermarket coolers for the 400 series cards.
arctic cooling accelero xtreme plus and prolimatech mk13 are two that spontaneously come to mind :p

Last edited:
arctic cooling accelero xtreme plus and prolimatech mk13 are two that spontaneously come to mind :p

Oh sweet. I didn't think any were out yet. Time to get one. :)

SteelSeries%20Qck%20Mini.jpg

Was about time I got myself a proper mouse pad and this has about the best bang for your buck

Do tell how it fares in a few weeks. I had a cheaper "sturdy" pad before and wore it out. Now I use Razpadz XT and that's withstood everything I've given it (even smacking it against a wall - there is now a dent in my wall) and its surface is still as good as the day I got it, which is more than a year now.

Well, a mate of mine got the QcK+, the one that's about 4 times larger than mine but still the same surface&material, about 2 weeks ago and he's really pleased with it. So far, it feels really good. Until I got my laser mouse I didn't even use a mousepad. After that I got a cheap plastic one that didn't stick to my desk anymore and after that one another plastic one I found around the house. This fabric one has a much smoother glide.

I got a midsized steelseries pad and I love it. Smooth glide, good looks, even after you used it forever (well a year in my case...)

My sheet of printer paper pwns all of your fancy mouse pads. :lol: :p

I'm using an Allsop Metal Art mousepad I got early in high school, so a bit more than 6 years ago. Not a problem with it. Certainly overkill, but since it has a metal frame I have a corner hanging off my oddly angled desk and have no problems. Grippy pad on the bottom is fantastic as well.

Why exactly are we discussing mousepads?

We weren't discussing, just pointing out that steelseries is a good buy ;-)