The "New Toys" Thread

Yeah, but the piano repeats itself; this keyboard doesn't.

You do, after a lot of typing. That's why fast touch-typists swear by the home-row and home-keys F and J. Check your KB, the F and J should have a small ridge/dot or something that you can feel (and should use to position when your fingers are when not typing).

Well I don't type with my eyes on the keys 100% of the time but every now and then I look down and make sure I know where my fingers are hitting ;)
I'm sure I would screw it up if I didn't have the letters :D

Yeah that doesn't sound annoying. The next version will come with a mini guillotine so you can force yourself to type without fingers. You'll be so 1337.

I don't consider myself a great typist and the only thing I would have an issue with are the symbols. :dunno:

Not even all the symbols, I'm just not sure about the order of the symbols on top of numbers 3-8 but I could memorize five new keys for a stealthy keyboard.

Do some of you really think you'll struggle with the numbers? It's got a number pad for crying out loud, don't tell me you can't use a number pad without looking. :p

I don't consider myself a great typist and the only thing I would have an issue with are the symbols. :dunno:

Not even all the symbols, I'm just not sure about the order of the symbols on top of numbers 3-8 but I could memorize five new keys for a stealthy keyboard.

Do some of you really think you'll struggle with the numbers? It's got a number pad for crying out loud, don't tell me you can't use a number pad without looking. :p
I'm not used to number pads as I been a laptop user for over a decade now.

Phones? ATMs? Digital door locks?

My diNovo Edge is also missing a number pad so I haven't had one in years, but it's simple enough that I haven't forgotten.

True, but again, it's easy enough to adapt on the fly considering you just start from 5 and move one over to any other single digit number.

Phones are actually a good example... does anyone here look at their keypad while dialing (touchscreen phones aside, obviously)?

Phones? ATMs? Digital door locks?

My diNovo Edge is also missing a number pad so I haven't had one in years, but it's simple enough that I haven't forgotten.
I almost never have to dial a number from my phone :) Almost never use digital locks. ATMs is about the only thing but there are things other than numbers on computer keypads.

So I just got the keyboard about an hour. Initially I was surprised at how loud it was, I thought they'd actually sent me the non-silent version. So I pulled a key off and sure enough it was the Cherry MX-Brown (the key action it's it supposed to have.) Which begs the question, how loud as the non-silent MX-Blue verisons?

That aside, the keys are going to take some getting used to. Unlike a dome style keyboard, the keys actuate about 1/2 way down so you don't have to use nearly as much force when typing. I'm finding myself using a lot less effort which in turn makes typing a lot easier.

The smallest thing is the blank keys. With the keyboard the way it is, you realize that you really don't need to to be looking down (I imagine most people have used a keyboard to such an extent muscle memory has taken over. Even after just a small bit of time I've removed the act of even glancing down at the keyboard. Any mistakes you make on screen are far quicker to correct by just moving over (it's like taking a corner too wide and looking at the road rather the steering wheel.) If you're getting a no keyboard, it doesn't have to be Mechanical (though it is a quite nice on the hands), but I would recommend a blank keyboard.

So I just got the keyboard about an hour. Initially I was surprised at how loud it was, I thought they'd actually sent me the non-silent version. So I pulled a key off and sure enough it was the Cherry MX-Brown (the key action it's it supposed to have.) Which begs the question, how loud as the non-silent MX-Blue verisons?

That aside, the keys are going to take some getting used to. Unlike a dome style keyboard, the keys actuate about 1/2 way down so you don't have to use nearly as much force when typing. I'm finding myself using a lot less effort which in turn makes typing a lot easier.

The smallest thing is the blank keys. With the keyboard the way it is, you realize that you really don't need to to be looking down (I imagine most people have used a keyboard to such an extent muscle memory has taken over. Even after just a small bit of time I've removed the act of even glancing down at the keyboard. Any mistakes you make on screen are far quicker to correct by just moving over (it's like taking a corner too wide and looking at the road rather the steering wheel.) If you're getting a no keyboard, it doesn't have to be Mechanical (though it is a quite nice on the hands), but I would recommend a blank keyboard.

Just as expected. The Unicomp/MX Blue are about 2 times louder (MX Blue was created in response to the buckling spring).

I couldn't imagine using this if it was that loud.

Here are some pictures of the keyboard
DSC08228.jpeg

DSC08230.jpeg

DSC08231.jpeg

DSC08241.jpeg

I couldn't imagine using this if it was that loud.

Here are some pictures of the keyboard
DSC08228.jpeg

That is a very nice looking keyboard! :D

Yeah, it looks really good... makes me think how much better my diNovo Edge would look without labels.

Mod time? :hmm: Nah, probably not worth it.

My diNovo keyboard has started to wear out some of the labels, but the keys occasionally stick aswell so I might need a new keyboard soon.

My diNovo keyboard has started to wear out some of the labels, but the keys occasionally stick aswell so I might need a new keyboard soon.

When did you buy it? Call Logitech and ask for a replacement if you still have warranty... Logitech has great customer service and a $200 keyboard really shouldn't even have the keys rubbed off in a few short years.

TL-WR1043ND.jpg

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. Works better than my old Belkin of 4 years, that dropped out towards the end of its life. It's stable and is N wireless, which is always a postitive, even though my laptop only can get G.