The "Things that annoy me" thread

Yup. But it could have been worse: I was on the way to a stem cell pickup, with an empty transport box. Makes for a much more relaxed state of mind. Anyway, I've been rebooked on United Airlines for tomorrow.

Kinda not really feelin' Amsterdam.

Granted, all we saw was the main drag from central station to our hotel at the end of the main drag, but hopefully the whole city isn't this filthy, and filled to the gills with some of the most obnoxious people I've ever been around. Add to it the hot temperature and us having a rough time in transit, and a rougher time with laundry, and maybe everythung just combined into a shitty day.

Sorry to hear that. Traveling abroad should be fun.

I know, my last trip involved a guy with bad breath sitting next to me.

Granted, all we saw was the main drag from central station to our hotel at the end of the main drag, but hopefully the whole city isn't this filthy, and filled to the gills with some of the most obnoxious people I've ever been around. Add to it the hot temperature and us having a rough time in transit, and a rougher time with laundry, and maybe everythung just combined into a shitty day.

The Dutch don't recommend going to Amsterdam. Should be warning enough. :p:lol:

Can the same be said about Neuschwanstein? (I spelt it right first time! :D )

Nah man, that's just a castle Hitler liked so much he painted it...

Anyway Amsterdam, you know how Texans are said to be 'even more American' than normal Americans? Same with Amsterdam, every bad Dutch stereotype seems to prevail just that much more there....hookers and Drugs though, so who really cares.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/11476856/Are-the-Dutch-direct-or-just-rude.html
http://www.amsterdamstay.com/are-the-dutch-a-rude-nation
[...] If your friends don?t like your new look, they?ll tell you. If your colleagues don?t like your work, you won?t have to read between any lines.
What many consider to be rude is in fact a nation being honest and sincere. The Dutch take pride in their ability to speak their mind. They see it as a character strength, whereas politeness is regarded as a weakness.
They speak their mind rather unfiltered ... and once you've gotten over the initial shock, you'll appreciate the lack of fakeness ...

Hope your next days get better, sadly the weather keeps being humid. Wednesday has a good forecast though ...

No...i dont mean rude like "they are hurting my feewings" but more cuttung in lines, never saying "sorry" for any sort of accident like bumping into people or spilling drinks on them. Note: I'm likely not talking about The Dutch, but likely just the tourists here.

It's almost certainly other tourists. My experience of the Dutch is of a warm, friendly and polite people.

Very well likely. It seems like mo matter where we go, even in heavily residential areas (no hostels/hotels) the line cutting is ubiquitous, on a scale w e havent seen un Lindon Soho or Edinbrugh's "Old town".

Very well likely. It seems like mo matter where we go, even in heavily residential areas (no hostels/hotels) the line cutting is ubiquitous, on a scale w e havent seen un Lindon Soho or Edinbrugh's "Old town".
Well, the brits are the masters of orderly queuing if the stereotype is to be believed.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-23087024

And while the Dutch are in my experience not that bad at queuing (especially compared to the french), there does seem to be a slight problem with that ...
http://www.invadingholland.com/guides-to-holland/how-to-queue-like-a-dutchman

I'm not sure about the Netherlands, but in France people look at people and then gauge if they may get away with cutting in front of you. Or they look for someone "weak" in the Que and then strike. If you're a friendly looking tourist at a supermarket-check-out - there's going to be someone trying to cut the line in front of them. Which is why I wear my meanest face when queuing here.

[...] My experience of the Dutch is of a warm, friendly and polite people.

I like the Dutch. I like their direct, no bullshit way. But I would never call them polite, nor especially friendly ... I can recount numerous times getting negative comments on my looks or what I (or other people) wear on the street by random people. Like "don't wear short pants with skinny white legs like that, it's disgusting" or "that shirt is a size too small now, you've gained weight, haven't you?".
Or waiters in a restaurant just speaking their mind and generally being rude. People always say french waiters are rude - but they are quietly rude. They sigh, they mumble and serve you after everyone else like the passive aggressive little Bitches that they are - a dutch waiter just tells you to your face that they hate you (and still expects a sizeable tip afterwards). I actually prefer the Dutch way, make no mistake there - but neither polite nor friendly come to mind when I think of the Dutch - and I've spend quite some time in the netherlands in the last decade ...

Yeah, you know I don't really dislike the Dutch (most of my countrymen do) , but 'polite' is not a word that would ever pop into my mind when discribing them....warm and honest yes, but direct aswell, this tends to come across as brutish and arrogant eventhough I'm sure they don't mean it like that.

Then there's the loudness...to put it mildly that does not help either.

Last edited:
My colleague who is a complete music troll. This morning has been a combination of Disney songs, Elton John, and an album of 80s standards played on pan-pipes....

I thought Dominick the Donkey on repeat through the whole of December was bad enough..... :wall: