The "Things that annoy me" thread

When people refer to a car's electric motors as "Electric Engine"

Toyota ads that shorten RAV4 into "RAV" like it's a slang term: EX: "Buy a Rav for only 299 a month!"

S.H.O. being called show...

Modern cars. Things that annoy me about them:
-Stop-start
-Really crappy visibility towards the rear and rear quarters.
-Narrow trunk openings, especially when it's due to a rear window extending far back because of "coupe-like styling".

Once again a tech company falls short in the communication process. I am doing some slight mods to my new case and wanted to ask for a paint code to get a can of spray paint. No email on the website, or in the paperwork that came with the case. So I had to create an account and put in the request like a warranty claim.

A lot of tech companies are guilty of not putting any/enough contact details on their homepage. Now I usually check the "contact us" section of a website before I order there because two recent deliveries had been total nightmares and I needed to contact the seller but simply couldn't.

The first offender was a company that sells Windows 10 through Amazon. However, the copy they sent me didn't work (according to the Microsoft hotline the key had been blocked). So I needed to contact the seller and ask for another key. In the end it worked out, but they weren't exactly advertising any means of contacting them.

The second offender was HP Switzerland. I ordered something, then I cancelled the order (through my account) before shipping. But they shipped the item anyway and put around -1000 ? on my credit card for a whole month, even though I didn't accept delivery and the item was returned to HP. And the only way to contact them is by going to a general contact form (which is fucking well hidden in the first place), and then nothing happens... you don't receive a confirmation mail that your request has been received, they don't get back to you... simply nothing happens.

After about a month they managed to refund the money and even give me a voucher, but of course it didn't end there: With that voucher I purchased a warranty extension for my monitor. When you buy the monitor directly from HP the warranty extension is automatically activated. However, I bought my monitor somewhere else, so I had to active the extension myself. Only that HP didn't send me any information on how to do so. They only sent me a bill with "3 Year Warranty extension for device <blank>" and a link to their shop where I could buy more warranty extensions. So I had to contact them again, and after about a week somebody from HP asked me to send them a copy of the invoice for the monitor as well as its serial number. Mind you, I had to contact them in the first place about how to activate the warranty extension, they didn't contact me on their own for two weeks after selling it to me.

Bottom line: HP Switzerland: Extremely poor customer service.

On the other end of the scale, one of the four HDDs in my NAS died and I contacted the local company where I had purchased the disks (they have been in use for only 8 months of their 24 month warranty period). They got back to me within 12 hours and even shipped me a replacement right away (which I got the very next day), without me having to send the broken drive in first. That's what I call service. I was prepared to ship the broken drive first, and then have to wait for a week or two until somebody decides that "yeah, it's actually broken". Instead, they just sent one right away. And it's not exactly a cheap one, either...

It should be able to fix itself...

And neither does the network assistant... WiFi gone bad usually requires manual tinkering.

Actually, it's fixed some shit that my landlord's bum router failing causes so it's alright IMO.

In my experience, Startup Repair doesn't repair much....

In my experience, you just let it do whatever it thinks need doing, at the end it will complain that it can't be fixed, reboot pc, and problem is solved by itself.

When my phone's screen darkens and locks AS I'm entering my swipe pattern to unlock.

*note: I only use a 7-line swipe pattern when it doesn't read my fingerprints after a few tries

My phone would do that a lot, but only when I wanted to check something at night.... finally found that it was a setting to prevent waking up in your pocket. Without sufficient light the screen would immediately turn off.

In my experience, you just let it do whatever it thinks need doing, at the end it will complain that it can't be fixed, reboot pc, and problem is solved by itself.

This is exactly what happened :dunno:

Movie title 'translations'. We saw 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' on friday, only it had been 'translated' to 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's revenge' here, still i english :rolleyes: had it been in danish I could maybe see the point, but I think they did it with one (or more) of the other pirates movies, but they still don't translate the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' so the title is half english, half danish :hammer:

It's not just Denmarkistan though, some foreign films are getting different english (or unrelated german) titles in Germany as well:
- "Tomorrowland" is "A World Beyond"
- "Taken" is "96 hours"
- "Miss Congeniality" is "Miss Undercover"
etc. etc.

There's not two words in your local language that would explain the same thing? Surely, "tomorrowland" could be "morgen land" or "morgen L?ndereien?"

Of course there are german words which would explain the same thing, you could even just keep the damn original title, but if you just translate the title to german you're a wuss (or something) so you have to come up with a different english title... :dunno:

That said, "Morgenland" would indeed be one of the literal translations of "Tomorrowland", but in Germany "Morgenland" is one of the (old) names of the middle east, meaning "morning land" as in "the sun rises in the morning in that direction". If you wanted to translate the title literally into german you'd rather say "Zukunftsland" (future land) or something similar.