the Top Gear British phrases explanation thread

If you have been banned, use the contact form rather than hurting your chances by registering a second account (which is against the rules and makes everyone annoyed at you). Making a second account just makes us less interested in letting you back on.

Reactions: TC
Could anybody explain to me the phrase that Jeremy used:
"I rang Ralph Schumacher.....AND we are off the air"
I don't remember which episode exactly but it was during a news segment while they were talking about the F1 coming to the BBC and discussing who should be the presenter guy for F1.

Ummm, ok...seems pretty easy...ill give it a try!

I rang Ralph Schumacher...AND we were off the air translated is something like this...

I CALLED Ralph Scumacher and the cameras were not filming/we were off season.

gee, i hope that helped...

Could anybody explain to me the phrase that Jeremy used:
"I rang Ralph Schumacher.....AND we are off the air"
I don't remember which episode exactly but it was during a news segment while they were talking about the F1 coming to the BBC and discussing who should be the presenter guy for F1.

Wasn't it a joke about having Russell Brand as commentator? He got suspended from BBC Radio for making obscene phone calls to a former actor.

How else do you explain how it lives forever
Spices.
That's what SPAM means; SPiced hAM.

Spice's use in preserving meat has been known for hundreds of years. That's why there were all those wars over them and why people were swapping islands.

Spices.

Spice's use in preserving meat has been known for hundreds of years. That's why there were all those wars over them and why people were swapping islands.

Psst, I was being flippant. I know that the occult isn't involved in preserving Spam ;). Oh, and SPAM as "spiced ham" is not correct, seeing as SPAM doesn't have any spices, only a large amount of salt. A badly-cited quote on Wiki says that it's short for "shoulder of pork and ham", but that doesn't sound right either.

Psst, I was being flippant. I know that the occult isn't involved in preserving Spam
No, that's corned beef.

Oh, and SPAM as "spiced ham" is not correct, seeing as SPAM doesn't have any spices, only a large amount of salt. A badly-cited quote on Wiki says that it's short for "shoulder of pork and ham", but that doesn't sound right either.
That's quite interesting. hmmmm, have some spiced rep for your knowledge.

Spices.

I thought SPAM stood for special processed American meat and was a hold over from food drops during the war, but that's probably an old wives tale. Preservation by canning is no magic and no secret. It has nothing at all to do with spices (and little to do with salt) and everything to do with pasteurization. That I'm sure of.

Last edited:
There's even a SPAM fan club & a SPAM merchandise catalogue available....for all those hard-to-buy-for people at Christmas...

Jay Hormel invented the product, using a spiced ham recipe. They held a party & guests were invited to chose a memorable name for the foodstuff. Ken Daigneau came up with SPAM & won $100 as his prize. Thus was a legend born.

Well, whatever it is, I think I shall have some for dinner.

A badly-cited quote on Wiki says that it's short for "shoulder of pork and ham", but that doesn't sound right either.
Actually, James backs that up in this Google video ...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5269005744810711380

And it's not *that* bad as I recall. Mom would often cook spam fritters and chips for us kids on nights when she and dad would have curry because she thought we wouldn't like it.

Come to think of it, I've never had curry.

Spam = Scrotum, Penis, Anus, Mixed.