Vauxhall-Opel / Peugeot-Citroen merger?

jack_christie

Forum Addict
General Motor?s European division could be merged with Peugeot-Citroen, according to media reports emerging from France. The reports say that Vauxhall-Opel would be merged into a new joint venture company with Peugeot-Citroen. GM would own a 30 per cent stake in the joint venture and would inject ?6.2 billion for future product development.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vauxhall-opel-merge-peugeot-citroen

http://europe.autonews.com/apps/pbc...ging-opel-with-psas-auto-division-sources-say

Last edited:
So this way they can go broke faster?

Well, let it happen. But the moment I see a DS5 rebadged as a Buick for sale over here, I'm going to open fire.

So this way they can go broke faster?

Well, let it happen. But the moment I see a DS5 rebadged as a Buick for sale over here, I'm going to open fire.

The big question is which government will accept reduced factory capacity?

Not the French, that's for sure. The bigger question is - will the replacement of GM meddling by government meddling make the resulting company profitable?

At the launch of the Opel Adam the Opel boss (Steve Girsky) didn't turn up. Kind of your job to turn up at launches of your own products unless you're suffering a stroke (like Jacoby) or something serious. Having a really serious case of the Mondays is not an adequate excuse.

The German obviously. The French are too French for such sillyness like telling them what to do.

*puts a bauguette under the arm and marches off to La Marseillaise*

Last edited:
Oh yay, European Leyland. This will turn out well.

On a totally unrelated note I am happy to see angry Gowron being back in AiR's avatar.

On a totally unrelated note I am happy to see angry Gowron being back in AiR's avatar.

I think we all are. Goodness knows that we'd rather contemplate Angry Gowron, Pissed-Off Gene Hunt, and Racing Sherlock rather than a merger or Nissan/Renault-style relationship between the Four Horses'-Asses of the Apocalypse.

"The new Opel Astra! Now with French euhrmmm............whatever it is they have............flair!"

Boy, I bet the entire board at Ford Europe and VW are celebrating with hookers and blow as we speak :p

Last edited:
206 production ended in the UK in 2006 or so. So they will not be shutting that plant - take that you Puegeots. :lol:

Poor old Opel - I am surprised that the German Government has allowed it myself, as people have pointed out the plants shutting will not be in France (May be a token one, if any).

We already have "European Leyland", it's called Volkswagen Audi Group. VAG seems to work rather well, sharing platforms with each group company producing cars with a particular character, ie Skoda: budget, SEAT: Sporty, Audi: Prestige, VW: conservative quality. This GM/PSA joint venture could present problems as the JV between GM Europe and Fiat, PSA and Ford would first need unravelling.

We already have "European Leyland", it's called Volkswagen Audi Group. VAG seems to work rather well, sharing platforms with each group company producing cars with a particular character, ie Skoda: budget, SEAT: Sporty, Audi: Prestige, VW: conservative quality. This GM/PSA joint venture could present problems as the JV between GM Europe and Fiat, PSA and Ford would first need unravelling.

Yes, because VAG is totally comparable to BL. Are you serious?

There is that one word starting with "p" that separates BL and VAG. What is it.....ah yes, "profitability". Somehow that's still working out for them at the moment.

Also VAG workers don't strike every 30 seconds or leave sandwiches behind the door cards but that's probably because they are fed company sausages so don't have to bring their own lunch.

This better not sink Citroen. That would be very, very sad.

would never buy one, but i agree!
wouldn't give a rats ass if peugeot or renault were to go though...