Whale wars: Watch Eco-pussies attack japanese whalers, and fail hilariously

They are not killing endangered whales (see below)

If there was not demand for whales, they would not hunt for whales(see below)

Using LRADS and Nets are not dangerous (see below)

(see here) Honestly, do you think these whalers are like silent film villans? Twirling their mustaches and going "Yes, yeeeees! I'll kill ALL THE WHALES FOR FUN AT GREAT PERSONAL EXPENSE! MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA! NOW BACK TO MY UNDERGROUND LAIR!

Last edited:
^They obviously have an underwater lair!!

In the end we only have to save 2 Whales before the Star Trek 4 spaceprobe appears.

They are not killing endangered whales

If there was not demand for whales, they would not hunt for whales

Using LRADS and Nets are not dangerous

I agree with all three points. There is a demand for whales, but that doesn't mean the Sea Shepherds don't have the right to stop them.
And it seems you are right, the whales they hunt are not endangered (yet).
And I have no problem at all with them using LRADs on the boats, cause that's just self defence. The same goes for nets.

Using LRADs on helicopters, however, is different as that IS dangerous and is about hurting someone rather than defence.

In essence I believe that both parties have good reason to do what they do, and therefore they should both continue to do what they do. This is not a ridiculous opinion.

I agree with all three points. There is a demand for whales, but that doesn't mean the Sea Shepherds don't have the right to stop them.
By ramming into them, throwing objects and chemicals at them and firing rockets at them...? Because that is what we're discussing.

Just think of them going to your car and keying it or letting the air out of your tyres because you are killing the evironment.

Unfortunately, a lot of eco-terrorists actually do this.

Ok, I finally got to watch the latest episode on the DVR.

It certainly seems like someone on the Japanese whaling fleet finally picked up a copy of Art of War and managed to read the bit about initiative. The defenses and counter-attacks are certainly effective, especially combined with the ban on throwing items from the deck of Steve Irwin. The factory ship is simply too large to assault from the water level, especially with the new high-volume pumps for the water cannons.

As for the assertions earlier about the LRAD not being effective on a helicopter because of the ear protection and other noise. The ambient noise has no effect on the LRAD emissions, and the noise-canceling headset of the pilot might help a bit, but the sound from the LRAD has an effect on the rest of the body, not just the ears. The helicopter is not a direct threat to the ships and nothing has ever been thrown from the aircraft. While I respect that the Japanese have a right to defend their vessels, aiming the LRAD at the helicopter is irresponsible. (This is in no way saying that all the actions by the Sea Sheppards are responsible.)

Right now it certainly seems like the scales have tipped in favor of the Japanese. It will be interesting to see how they counter these new defenses.

Also, for those saying the Japanese are not taking endangered species - their own documents specify they are now targeting Finback and Humpback whales - both are currently listed as endangered species.

Last edited:
^If that's the case, how are allowed to do that? Are they using the somewhat shady research motivation here as well?

The helicopter is not a direct threat to the ships and nothing has ever been thrown from the aircraft. While I respect that the Japanese have a right to defend their vessels, aiming the LRAD at the helicopter is irresponsible. (This is in no way saying that all the actions by the Sea Sheppards are responsible.)

Also, for those saying the Japanese are not taking endangered species - their own documents specify they are now targeting Finback and Humpback whales - both are currently listed as endangered species.

I know you qualified your statement and all, but the helicopter is an integral part of the Sea Shepherds operation, remember when the Sea Shepherd tried to intimidate an unmarked ship in the area that they thought might have something to do with the whalers? While I agree with you to some extent, I still say that the pilot had plenty of warning and all he had to do was get out of range and stay out of range. They wanted the Japanese to use it on the helicopter. The helicopter can effectively carry out it's recon 300m from the ships.

Edit: OK you made me do some research on the LRAD now. The default setting is basically a warning sound and I bet that is what they first used (keep in mind the activists are proven liars), then you must override the default to increase to a sustained 146db or a burst at 151db (at 1m). The range is a maximum 300m and there is no ultrasonic effect as some people claim. Also ear protection is effective against it.

Finally, some people have questioned the LRAD's effectiveness, since wearing simple ear protection can render it useless.

They have agreed not to take any humpback. The aboriginal whalers also take endangered species, and like I said, the biggest threat to any endangered whale is ship strike, also oil field exploration, oil spills and pollution.

The species [Fin] is also hunted by Greenlanders under the Aboriginal Subsistence Whaling provisions of the IWC. Collisions with ships and noise from human activity are also significant threats to the recovery of the species.

But I have to agree with you here, there is no reason to take endangered whales and they will just hurt their argument if they do.

Last edited:
If whales are being hunted, then I can say Whales aren't as smart as we think they are.

If they were so goddamned smart, they wouldn't be harpooned and killed. :D

A smart whale would avoid the fleets, plot a attack against them a la Moby Dick. But nope, these whales are morons and deserve to be harpooned. Fuck them and their blow holes...
(that's part comedy and part opinion...FYI ;) )

On a more serious note...

While I agree with the not hunting the whales, I believe that everything the Sea Shepards do is ass backwards and idiotic. The Founder was kicked out of GreenPeace for a reason....

I'm 100% behind the Japanese Whaling fleet on this stance...they have a right to defend themselves and Fuck the Sea Shepards...(Assholes don't even know how to fucking throw anything either. All this side flinging crap is for pansies...It's also why when the Japanese throw things back, their aim is a lot better...they do love baseball afterall)

All this series has done is make me want to slaughter a whale to eat it.

but that doesn't mean the Sea Shepherds don't have the right to stop them.

Are you serious? The Sea Shepards aren't a legal entity, they have zero right to be enforcing anything. Following your logic, if I don't like the fact that you're cooking chicken for dinner, I should be able to walk into your kitchen and hit you with a baseball bat until you stop. Because, hey, I've got a right to stop you, despite the fact that cooking chicken is legal and I'm not a policeman.

Yeah, the spite factor grows larger in the face of obvious incompetence/arrogance.

If the Sea Shepards didn't go about it like the giant toolbags they actually are then maybe I'd be on their side...maybe.

But everytime I see the show I keep wondering 'just what does whale meat taste like? I actually want some now...'

So the Sea Shepards plans have backfired...on me anyway.

Are you serious? The Sea Shepards aren't a legal entity, they have zero right to be enforcing anything. Following your logic, if I don't like the fact that you're cooking chicken for dinner, I should be able to walk into your kitchen and hit you with a baseball bat until you stop. Because, hey, I've got a right to stop you, despite the fact that cooking chicken is legal and I'm not a policeman.

Obviously the argument can be extrapolated ridiculously, but in this case, I think that if there wasn't an anti-whaling movement, it would get quite out of control. So I'm not saying that killing no whales is the answer. I'm saying the force against killing the Sea Shepherds provide is necessary to maintain the optimum amount of killing.

Last edited:
Obviously the argument can be extrapolated ridiculously, but in this case, I think that if there wasn't an anti-whaling movement, it would get quite out of control. So I'm not saying that killing no whales is the answer. I'm saying the force against killing the Sea Shepherds provide is necessay to maintain the optimum amount of killing.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

:?

"Optimum amount of killing?" This isn't a deer population that needs to be thinned prior to the winter storms. The only reason Minke whales are not endangered is because they were never targeted before. Whales aren't like other species that have many offspring. Whales have few (if any) natural predators and like other species in this situation they evolved to reproduce at a slower rate to avoide over-tapping the food supply. That means that taking 700 whales a year starts down a path towards a depleted population. The closer the population gets to being endangered or extinct the longer it takes to recover. Just look at how long other species have been endangered, Humpbacks were listed in 1970, almost 40 years ago.

"Optimum amount of killing?" This isn't a deer population that needs to be thinned prior to the winter storms. The only reason Minke whales are not endangered is because they were never targeted before. Whales aren't like other species that have many offspring. Whales have few (if any) natural predators and like other species in this situation they evolved to reproduce at a slower rate to avoide over-tapping the food supply. That means that taking 700 whales a year starts down a path towards a depleted population. The closer the population gets to being endangered or extinct the longer it takes to recover. Just look at how long other species have been endangered, Humpbacks were listed in 1970, almost 40 years ago.

Well that was what I was saying initially. Personally I agree with what you say, and I am against whaling.

But like all eco arguements, there is an other side where Japan has a demand for whales, and they have a certain number a year which they kill. So what I'm saying is that if this is an arguement where both sides have good points, then both the Sea Shepherds and the Whaling Fleet have the right to be there.

If whales were so important they'd be smart enough to not get harpooned.

:mrgreen:

Being that they keep getting harpooned, they aren't a valuable asset to the planet :lol:

i only have to say one thing about whale wars and that is that if you paint up all your equipment in black with a skull and something that looks like a crossbones and go around harrasing ships that you don't like by throwing stuff at them and boarding them in order to disrupt their mission in what you call "attacks" then guess what... YOUR PIRATES! and they should be arrested and prosecuted for it. there are plenty of better ways to get your point across that the way the do it.

Just watched the last episode of the first season.

Paul Watson is a liar. You have to be awfully far up your asshole to think a sniper can hit you square in the heart with a small caliber rifle at an upward trajectory from the porthole of a moving ship on the Southern Ocean from one of six ships the sniper happens to be on. You have to be even more stupid to believe the whole just happened to be wearing a kevlar vest, and it bent my hippie badge but I didn't feel it really until afterwards.

Paul Watson is scum, wish someone would have shot him. Fucking fat hypocrite, and no doubt he's been sneakin' Whopper's in his cabin.