Why You Should Own A Corvette

Except it isn't a better value if "fun" is part of the the picture and the potential owner doesn't find a Mustang, even a modified Mustang, fun. That's why we have different types and styles of cars, why a Corvette isn't just a cheaper clone of an F430, why the 911 still exists, why both MX-5s and Mustangs sell, etc. Different people want different things, and if a Mustang isn't what the person wants, it's a bad value, whatever its performance / $. As I said before, the Corvette is a great car if it's to your tastes. This is a "Why you should own a Corvette," thread, after all.

At the end of the day, yes, it's what the buyer wants that matters. However, I'm not telling anyone to do anything.

Keep in mind that this argument started because of this:

LeVeL said:
You can find a nice C5 Z06 for $20k these days. For that price, I can't think of anything that can touch it on a track, never mind carry you home reliably and in comfort afterwards.

To which I disagreed since I've seen Mustangs built for less (and with little difficulty), having the same levels of reliability and comfort, and still keeping up with C5/C6 Corvettes.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that this argument started because of this:

To which I disagreed since I've seen Mustangs built for less and with little difficulty, having the same levels of reliability and comfort, and still keeping up with C5/C6 Corvettes.
No, it started because of this:
Corvettes suck.

The interior feels like a Malibu from 2004.
The car is just bleh.

Rather have a Mustang Cobra for the price.

For the record, I don't think Corvettes suck. I think companies that build sports cars can still take a few cues from the Corvette.

I still have a bias towards Fords (I grew up among them), but the fanboyism here makes me want to grow a mullet and buy a Camaro.

The Corvette and Mustang designers had different goals when they designed their respective cars. These goals imbue everything from the chassis design to the suspension. GM didn't put the gearbox in the back of the Corvette for the hell of it. The same is true for other decisions they made. Overall the Corvette is a better car at racing than a Mustang because of these choices.

The Mustang was design more for everyday usage. My friend's C5 finds every jolt and scrap that exists in Seattle, while my old Mustang missed quite a lot of them.

If it only required a few thousand dollars to make a $32k car equal a $58k car in performance Ford would sell a Mustang against the Corvette for under $40k. Notice they haven't (the GT500 costs nearly as much as a Corvette and doesn't corner nearly as well).

Can a Mustang be improved to beat a Corvette in all handling and power? Yes, but someone can build a space frame and bolt Morris Marina panels on it and beat the hell out of a Ferrari.

Anyhow, given the choice and some wealth I'd buy a Ford GT. A car that didn't use a Mustang chassis because it was designed to surpass a Corvette.

I still have a bias towards Fords (I grew up among them), but the fanboyism here makes me want to grow a mullet and buy a Camaro.

The Corvette and Mustang designers had different goals when they designed their respective cars. These goals imbue everything from the chassis design to the suspension. GM didn't put the gearbox in the back of the Corvette for the hell of it. The same is true for other decisions they made. Overall the Corvette is a better car at racing than a Mustang because of these choices.

The Mustang was design more for everyday usage. My friend's C5 finds every jolt and scrap that exists in Seattle, while my old Mustang missed quite a lot of them.

If it only required a few thousand dollars to make a $32k car equal a $58k car in performance Ford would sell a Mustang against the Corvette for under $40k. Notice they haven't (the GT500 costs nearly as much as a Corvette and doesn't corner nearly as well).

Can a Mustang be improved to beat a Corvette in all handling and power? Yes, but someone can build a space frame and bolt Morris Marina panels on it and beat the hell out of a Ferrari.

Anyhow, given the choice and some wealth I'd buy a Ford GT. A car that didn't use a Mustang chassis because it was designed to surpass a Corvette.

I agree with everything you said except for the piece in bold. The Boss 302 is the Mustang flavor that is more oriented towards open track handling due to its balance and stiffer suspension set up. Also, I think the future GT350 may give the Corvette a better run for its money given the IRS.

I agree with everything you said except for the piece in bold. The Boss 302 is the Mustang flavor that is more oriented towards open track handling due to its balance and stiffer suspension set up. Also, I think the future GT350 may give the Corvette a better run for its money given the IRS.

The Boss 302 is not under $40k and still is no Corvette equal. As I was saying the Corvette was holistically designed to be a dedicated sports car (as in handling and speed) the Mustang was not (it was designed to be more usable on the street). If it was possible for the Mustang platform to equal the Corvette why did Ford not use it for the Ford GT?

Also, I think the future GT350 may give the Corvette a better run for its money given the IRS.

Not unless they get a wide body kit on it. The guy I know who had a GT500 said it was just silly and pointless as it couldn't put the power down. He sold it and bought a Nissan GT-R instead.

I suspect the GT350 suffers from similar issues. Too much power for the platform.

Not unless they get a wide body kit on it. The guy I know who had a GT500 said it was just silly and pointless as it couldn't put the power down. He sold it and bought a Nissan GT-R instead.

I suspect the GT350 suffers from similar issues. Too much power for the platform.

I'd be surprised if it gets the same amount of power and torque as the '13 GT500. Also, the IRS will help a lot in putting the power down provided a good design (the design is based off of the IRS in the 5-series which is purported to be a decent setup).

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if it gets the same amount of power and torque as the '13 GT500. Also, the IRS will help a lot in putting the power down provided a good design (the design is based off of the IRS in the 5-series which is purported to be a decent setup).

It was more the tires than anything. Hell, I can spin my 345's so easily even at 30 MPH if I stomp on it. I have IRS and all the tires to is hop up and down. I can't imagine doing it with narrower tires.

Only time will tell I guess. Rumors have been swirling around that the base GT is significantly faster around corners than the Boss 302.

I drove a C6 Vette the other week, with a bunch of mods thrown in. Certainly quick and there was a go-kart-like feeling at the wheel. Haven't driven a Mustang yet, to compare..

Either the tires on mine are crappy or grip is not really there.

Unless taking a corner between 45-50mph on a 80? non banked turn is too fast.

I should drive a 'vette but, the owners of them ruin it for me. I'd rather drive the SS.

Either the tires on mine are crappy or grip is not really there.

Unless taking a corner between 45-50mph on a 80? non banked turn is too fast.

I should drive a 'vette but, the owners of them ruin it for me. I'd rather drive the SS.

The sub-par shocks you've put in aren't doing you any favors in that department.

Higher rate springs, a set of camber plates, and a professional alignment (not the crap you get at Firestone or America's Tire) would do wonders for grip.

See, once again - the mustang is a great handling car... once you replace everything.

Springs/shocks and camber plates = everything? That's news to me, considering that there are 12 other pieces that make up the suspension system on his Mustang.

Last edited:
Springs/shocks and camber plates = everything? That's news to me, considering that there are 12 other pieces that make up the suspension system on his Mustang.

Yeah, it may improve it. But, it won't somehow crush everything with those parts.

Yeah, it may improve it. But, it won't somehow crush everything with those parts.

Who said it would crush everything? I said it would do wonders for your grip. How "wonders for grip" = "crush everything" is beyond me.

Last edited:
I love how the thread that started off with "gee Vettes sure are fast and fun cars to drive" turned into "TEH MUSTANG CRUSH ALL WITH MIGHTY MODS!"

That wasn't said either.

Who said it would crush everything? I said it would do wonders for your grip. How "wonders for grip" = "crush everything" is beyond me.

I wasn't directing toward you.

And to spend that much in mods for a car that's driven about 150 miles a weekend doesn't make sense. The subframe connectors were worth it. I now know the limits if where it loses grip and to keep it below that. The amount of times of actually Cornering like that is slim.