Your best sim racing game?

vikiradTG2007

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Working on it
Simple as that. What's your favorite in the hardcore sim racing gaming genre? (No NFS mentions here, please.)

I personally prefer GTR2 for its driving school mode, which helps me to learn how to drive at race pace in a sim racing game; second place. First place goes to rFactor; it's my base PC game, especially because of the tons of mods and the quality of online play (I'm now a regular racer on www.rfactorcentral.com 's race servers). 3rd place for me goes to F1 Challenge 1999-2002, because it was the one that kick-started the others (because the rF and GTR2 game engines evolved from the F1C one). Oh, and because of the Prototype-C mod. ( www.virtua-lm.com , if you've got the game and you're interested.)

Have also tried GPL earlier on. Didn't like driving it, maybe because I had the car set up all wrong. Well... it's always worth a second go.

And I'm not going to go into LFS, because I want a sim racer that also has a single-player mode. And I hear it's only online. Is that right?

LFS was pretty much online only until a recent patch just before xmas. The problem was with the crappy AI, this has now been improved although I haven't tried racing against them.

Grab the demo and give it a whirl :)

My main Sim is rFactor. Im trying to balance it out with LFS. I have GTR2, but can't really be bothered with it, the Force Feedback is crap. I also have GP4, but haven't been on since i got it.

Ive been looking for F1c, but its ?50 on Amazon wich is a bit steep.

250px-Ignition_-_Box_Front.jpg

OMG! Are you referring to that game?
God I had such great times playing it!

For me it would be GTR2 and Gran Turismo (the latter beign the preferred one).
I like GTR2 because of its pure realism. I like to think it's THAT hard in real life.
But sometimes realism might be frustrating so then I get into Gran Turismo.

My main Sim is rFactor. Im trying to balance it out with LFS. I have GTR2, but can't really be bothered with it, the Force Feedback is crap. I also have GP4, but haven't been on since i got it.

Ive been looking for F1c, but its ?50 on Amazon wich is a bit steep.

Try to get the F1C... Is not the most realistic sim game ever but the huuuuge amount of Mods makes it worth

So far, on my F1C i have:

2003 - 2007 F1 Seasons
SportsCar Challenge (LMP900/675 GTS/GT classes circa 2001-4)
VirtuaLM (Group C Prototype Cars)
ChampCar Challenge (Seasons 1998-2003 ChampCar Series)
BTCC 2003-2004

Try to get the F1C... Is not the most realistic sim game ever but the huuuuge amount of Mods makes it worth

So far, on my F1C i have:

2003 - 2007 F1 Seasons
SportsCar Challenge (LMP900/675 GTS/GT classes circa 2001-4)
VirtuaLM (Group C Prototype Cars)
ChampCar Challenge (Seasons 1998-2003 ChampCar Series)
BTCC 2003-2004

I found F1c on Play.com.

Mind directing me to the site/s where you got the mods please ;)

250px-Ignition_-_Box_Front.jpg

OMG! Are you referring to that game?
God I had such great times playing it!

OMG! That was the best game EVER! I got so excited when I unlocked mirror mode! Damn I miss games like that.

My favorite would be rFactor, because of the amount of mods available for it, (that and it has Le Mans without the chicanes, always a plus :mrgreen:)

Next up would be LFS for it's realism. However, I haven't played it in a while. (Mainly because I've been busy modding my rFactor installation)

For PC, I thought the physics in RACE 07 were better than rFactor, but I didn't try any mods for rFactor.

Currently, I really enjoy Forza 2 for 360.

How could it be anything but Stunts? You build your own track and race real cars like a Countach, with amazing realism and detailed, life-like graphics.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/14/Stuntsrace.png

^ That was the most awesome game ever. Seeing those meshed roads brings back a lot of memories. Thanks, a +1 for you, sir.

Last edited:
^Ignition rules! With Street Rod and Stunt car racer.. :D

Last edited:
Ignition was really cool game. And you didn't have to spent a week to learn basic options. I got irritated very quickly with games like GTR2. I don't like to spent hours on the game, practicing and learning the track. NFS III and IV FTW!

Sorry, but I win.

g0010804d50.jpg

rush_2__extreme_racing_usa.jpg

I own Rush:SF, Rush 2, and Rush 2049. :D

What about Cruisin' USA!!!! haha

Richard Burns Rally was the best and worst sim I have played. Amazing realistic but too realistic. Sucked the fun out of it for me. I haven't played any of the hardcore PC race sims. Would like to give them a go one day but don't have the hardware. If I want a REALLY realistic experience, I will go drive my own car :p

Yeah, sims aren't any fun to me. I want a mid-point sim/arcade game. I personally find Test Drive Unlimited, especially it's Hardcore mode, a really sweet spot.