Someone Else's Problem: 15ft of sensibleness: My new Octavia

Had the first service today after just over two years :) however, we noticed two rear bushings had some mild damage :( and it's a few months over the two years warranty :cry:

...late in the afternoon I get a call, they noticed I actually have four years warranty instead of two :mouse: bushings are swapped for free, all is well :) also, this:

160?/year for proper VW main dealer service sounds reasonable :nod:

:shakefist: at Denmark, after a 1200km roadtrip their lighting laws and lots of gravel roads made one of my H7 bulbs burn out :( apart from that, all is well full of dead insects.

Also, it appears to have transformed into a Diesel. 170km after topping up I have 1000km left in the tank :nod: works out to 4.7l/100km (50mpgus, 60mpguk).

Fantastic buy - VAG goodness but with decent dealers, lower costs, super build quality and vast cabin space for a car in that segment.

Suck it, Prius. :p

I took a while, but in principle it was dead simple. I was a bit too careful at first I guess.

One headlight assembly is held in by a plastic screw that is easily accessible by hand and a two-part lever (lift one, pull the other). That lever took a bit of jiggling, but then you just pull out the assembly and unplug one plug. Each light housing is sealed by a rubber cover from the back, take that off, twist out the socket, remove broken bulb, reverse the process.

If I had to do it again it would take about a minute each, today I took about an hour for both including taking the assemblies inside and cleaning them a bit. Sand and gunk gets everywhere.

Unscrew A, lift B, pull 1, remove 2.

Last edited:
Same on my A4. 3 torx screws, 1 multi-plug, remove housing, open rear panel, replace bulb, repeat in reverse. The worst bit is unplugging the plug. I should probably clean the contact surfaces to decrease the stiction.

i have either to reach down behind the lights blindly and do everything by touch only through a ~5x15cm service opening or, if that fails and i drop something, remove the whole front of the car :shakefist:

Well, I meant, I have to remove the headlamps, but it's not as hard as it may sound.

Well, I'd expect that from a car which is only 3 years old and gets driven less than 10k km per year... :p My car is 11 years old and didn't have any faults when it was MOT'd/T?V'd in September. :cool:

Well, I'd expect that from a car which is only 3 years old and gets driven less than 10k km per year... :p My car is 11 years old and didn't have any faults when it was MOT'd/T?V'd in September. :cool:

Sligtly OT: 21 years and zero faults :D

Hopefully to be repeated in four months...

Edit: and congrats on your faultless inspection :)

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

My car is going to get its first "T?V" in 2015, I'll make sure to bump my thread. :p