Ownership Verified: Oh no, they've got another one - leviathan's MX-5 NC

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
On my old (2002) Nissan, to get the check engine codes, you had to :

1. Sit in driver's seat
  2. Turn the key to the ON position(don't start the car)
  3. Wait 3 seconds
  4. Fully depress the gas pedal 5 times in under 5 seconds.
  5. Wait 7 seconds
  6. Fully depress the gas pedal for 10 seconds

The check engine light should be flashing, long flashes indicate the first digit of the trouble code, 10 flashes means a 0. Count the flashes and jot down the trouble code.

To erase the code, depress the gas pedal fully for 10 seconds for a second time.

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
MX-5 NC, Model 3
Soo, the NC has been sitting around without much to do for a while now. I've driven it a couple times, and every time I did the desire to sell decreased sharply, only to then eventually build up again as it sits unused :)

Today, the first thing has gone wrong from no use: the A/C decided to not cool anymore. Not that I need it much since it's being driven almost exclusively top-down, but it worked fine the last time I needed it. Current assumption is that all the gas escaped and needs to be refilled. Will have it checked out some time soon, since it needs to be fixed either way, for myself or for a potential next owner.

Other than that little detail, the car is holding up nicely. No oil or other fluids escaping, soft top seems to hold water out of the interior nicely, battery is fine, engine starts up after long periods of sitting like it's nothing.

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
MX-5 NC, Model 3
In fact I enjoy it so much, I've gone and rented a second garage spot for it :p Had notices hung up around the neighborhood for a while, finally a couple days ago someone called and offered an unused spot, in the same level where the Tesla lives even. Signed and got the keys today. Sure, the rent will cost me a bit, but fuck it - keeping this car and renting the spot won't bankrupt me any time soon, and I just don't feel like getting rid of it at all, so it stays. The car is fully paid off now, too, so no more monthly payments - the spot is ofc much cheaper than those were.

Now I also realize a thing: not having a parking spot was a major factor in not driving it much - I was often afraid I'd have to hunt for a close enough street spot forever after taking it out to somewhere, so I'd almost always opt for the 3. Street parking really sucks right now, with several constructions taking away many spots it's always packed. Not an issue anymore, so I think I'll actually drive the NC again every now and then :)

Went for a drive to wash it today before putting it in the garage, and enjoying what could possibly be the last >20°C summer evening of the season. Weirdly enough, during the after-wash highways blast with the roof up (to dry it off before opening again) the AC worked fine once more. I guess it's not out of gas completely but just down on it - could that explain AC working in mild weather, but packing up in proper heat? It was >30° when I last tried it, and the car had sat in the sun for a while.

Mr. Nice

I had an '08 NC for about 4 years. I don't know about in Germany, but the US model had a shared clutch/brake reservoir that on the car that I had (and others, as you can read about on NC forums) caused a problem where the clutch pedal wouldn't always disengage the clutch. There is a threaded plunger on the pedal that people adjust, but it's better to just bleed the system. Hopefully you won't need to know this, but if you leave it sitting for awhile and find that it's catching as you shift gears, this is probably the reason. I think that Mazda may have remedied this problem on later NCs, and I did notice that the shared reservoir on the ND is substantially different than what was on my car.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
It's really amazing how having a parking space makes keeping more cars easier :-D
There’s that and then there’s “well I don’t have to finish this repair tonight” which makes repairs less stressful or you can procrastinate more. :)

Nice to see this’ll stay around.