Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Could've got at least one more. There are plenty of cars for $704 on craigslist.

I managed 72 with $90 leftover. Here's my list.

I see a bunch of similarities. Nice taste you've got there.

I would've ended with more but most cars for $704 didn't move me, the last car (the Accord) wasn't going to make it either, but ending with anything over $1k was frankly a waste, so i got it. (it's the reason of why that particuar car would get ?FILLER? as a Liscense plate).

I couldn't find a 9000 or a Decent 80's Firebird,and only after i finished i remembered the existence of the 5.0 Mustang. if we do one of these later on, I'll use craiglist.

Your list is also rather excellent. It's all in your particular taste of cars.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is now how you're supposed to drive... especially a canyon road during the fucking day light.
[YOUTUBE]S7N7_YJtYiw[/YOUTUBE]

BTW, drove that one in the miata about 2 weeks ago, awesome bit of road building.

I'm really, really tempted to buy this as a restoration project:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Saab_W0QQitemZ300400581624QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item45f1451bf8

However, two questions:

1. How much will restoration cost?
2. How much will shipping cost (It's in Utah)?

Edit: Sent in a quote request to a shipping company, but it'll take them time to respond, so if anyone can estimate, please tell me.

Don't know about restoration, but shipping should be somewhere around $1000. I've looked to have cars shipped from Arizona to MA and it was in the $800 range. Add the fact that it is international, and the car probably isn't running.

Also, that number is for an open truck. It goes up a lot for closed trucks, priority shipping, etc.

I'm really, really tempted to buy this as a restoration project:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Saab_W0QQitemZ300400581624QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item45f1451bf8

However, two questions:

1. How much will restoration cost?
2. How much will shipping cost (It's in Utah)?

Edit: Sent in a quote request to a shipping company, but it'll take them time to respond, so if anyone can estimate, please tell me.

I don't know about the shipping. But that car uses a Ford v-4 and I am willing to bet that the parts is really hard to find.

hmmmm, :think: :bangin:

spotted a nice 2007 3series BMW with only 66k kms on the clock for a smidge over 14k? :think:

I kinda want. However, several questions are raised

- I don't need the size of the car
- I don't really need the badge
- people will think I am a typical BMW douchecock
- I'm not really in need of a new car
- If/when I change car, I'll probably get something smaller and less powerful, not vice versa...
- If I want to do this, I need to convince some poor fool that my Astra is currently worth atleast 6k? (6 yrs old 130k kms, almost no optional extras except electical windows...)

:think: :think:

Anyone has some thoughts on this?

hmmmm, :think: :bangin:

- I don't need the size of the car
- I don't really need the badge
- people will think I am a typical BMW douchecock
- I'm not really in need of a new car
- If/when I change car, I'll probably get something smaller and less powerful, not vice versa...
- If I want to do this, I need to convince some poor fool that my Astra is currently worth atleast 6k? (6 yrs old 130k kms, almost no optional extras except electical windows...)

Anyone has some thoughts on this?

1 : we have been over this: there is never such a thing as to big a car, and a 3series is hardly a barge.
2/3 combined : fuck what people think, buy what YOU like.
4 : you drive an astra dude, you have been in need for a new car since you bought that :p
5 : I'm not even gonna comment on that , but don't let the ecomorons win ;)
6 : that's the kicker....nothing, and I mean NOTHING is moving on the secondhandmarket these days , upside to this is that you find nice 2 year old bimmers for 14k (and even less if your good at bargenning with the seller) the bad side is obviously that your trade-in (whatever it is) is harder to move.... still there are alot worse things to try selling secondhand then a diesel astra .

Don't know about restoration, but shipping should be somewhere around $1000. I've looked to have cars shipped from Arizona to MA and it was in the $800 range. Add the fact that it is international, and the car probably isn't running.

Also, that number is for an open truck. It goes up a lot for closed trucks, priority shipping, etc.

$1000 doesn't sound too bad, even if it is for an open truck. I don't think it's got holes in it or anything. I'll have to ask him if the car is running (Presumably no, although he says that the engine turns over in the description), as some shipping companies refuse to ship cars which aren't running.

I don't know about the shipping. But that car uses a Ford v-4 and I am willing to bet that the parts is really hard to find.

Plenty of cars used the V4, and the engine is still sold through Ford Power Products (For industrial purposes), as well as parts for it.

The engine was also expanded into a V6, which was used in a lot of popular Ford cars. You could probably take some parts from that engine as well.

Last edited:
Read this thread over at edmunds.

SAAB Sonett-Worthless Heap or Classic

Just keep in mind what you are getting yourself into. If it is a project just for fun or Garage Therapy as my friend Mr_Shiftright says then great.

A sonnet will never be worth very much money and could turn into a fiscal blackhole.

Read this thread over at edmunds.

SAAB Sonett-Worthless Heap or Classic

Just keep in mind what you are getting yourself into. If it is a project just for fun or Garage Therapy as my friend Mr_Shiftright says then great.

A sonnet will never be worth very much money and could turn into a fiscal blackhole.

It's definitely not to earn some money, it's just for the fun + the knowledge I'll gain from fixing it up myself.

1 : we have been over this: there is never such a thing as to big a car, and a 3series is hardly a barge.
2/3 combined : fuck what people think, buy what YOU like.
4 : you drive an astra dude, you have been in need for a new car since you bought that :p
5 : I'm not even gonna comment on that , but don't let the ecomorons win ;)
6 : that's the kicker....nothing, and I mean NOTHING is moving on the secondhandmarket these days , upside to this is that you find nice 2 year old bimmers for 14k (and even less if your good at bargenning with the seller) the bad side is obviously that your trade-in (whatever it is) is harder to move.... still there are alot worse things to try selling secondhand then a diesel astra .

Well excuse me for not agreeing with you, yet again :p

1) I still disagree. I am alone in my car for 90% of the time, so even a smart would suffice. Granted, that would not be very fun but still, I don't need the space. I have a larger car if I want to transport my family or a large number of groceries

2-3) I like BMWs but I don't like the people that drive them. I don't know if i'd be happy to be counted as "another BMW arsehole"

4) you drive a huge pickup truck, and give me shit about my car? :mrgreen:

5) I don't care about the greenies, but if I need a smaller car and it uses less fuel than my current one (ie more monies left over to buy food and stuff) I see the benifits/Savings there

6) this is actually true... but I'm still unsure

I'll probably ponder and ponder on this until someone else buys the beemer, then I can kick myself for not taking the chance when I still had it :p

Go for the BMW. It's such a quality car and such an improvement over the Astra it's justifiable.

This isn't just about what you need, it's what you want. How much time do you spend in your car daily? Consider it an investment to improve your quality of life for that amount of time.

And it's not exactly like a 3 series is a big car...

Conversation, just moments ago:

(2/28/2010 7:05:06 PM) Josh: i'm 99% sure i'm saving up for a hyundai sonata
(7:05:13 PM) Josh: by far best deal for a car
(7:05:46 PM) Me: Because they're shit.
(7:06:07 PM) Josh: edmonds gives it better ratings than most cars in their class
(7:06:34 PM) Josh: fusion and accord are all that beat it
(7:06:38 PM) Me: You just used the word "class" - are you sure you're cool enough to watch Top Gear?
(7:06:38 PM) Josh: from my searches
(7:06:56 PM) Josh: whats wrong with saying class lmao
(7:07:04 PM) Me: Because you sound an awful lot like a lameassed consumer reports reader who only thinks cars are transportation
(7:07:15 PM) Josh: it is
(7:07:28 PM) Josh: the only time (to me) that a car becomes not transportation are:
(7:07:42 PM) Josh: luxury, in which u want the nicest possible interior and ride
(7:07:51 PM) Josh: and sports, in which u want a fast fucker that handles
(7:08:03 PM) Josh: any other car is a method for driving from point a to b

Am I allowed to disown him?

The elantra is actually pretty good, one can do worse. If he's in the US he even has that extremely long powertrain warranty.

And I finally have something worthy to post here:
1) There was a trackday yesterday with all of Costa Rica's car clubs and I placed SECOND for VAG club :). And I did it without slicks or severely lightening my car like other people did. I drove to and from the track as in any other day. People were all over my ass in the tight bits (stock suspension and tires) but in the straights I ruled.

2) I've mended something!!! From said track day I developed a massive turbo boost leak at the manifold, people insisted that it was my downpipe leaking but I knew otherwise. Today I sneaked around the engine bay and retightened the three bolts between the compressor and the manifold (also put on some red loctite) and I'm back to full boost

Yes, yes you can. But you should smack him upside the head once, it might jar whatever is causing the complete lack of car guy. Not that that is a bad thing.

EDIT: Yes it is! :p

Yes and no.

No, because at least he's being logical about his decision. If what you want is the 'family car' class, you can do a lot worse for a lot more money than the Sonata. Also of interest is that you can still get a Sonata with a manual transmission so it's not completely suck - and actually they're sort of fun to drive for what they are.

Yes, because he's one of the 'wider audience' that Andy is catering to and ruining Top Gear for. People without even a vague interest in cars, who view cars as transport appliances only, should be banned from watching Top Gear - and, IMHO, this site. :p

Was screwing around on the Porsche website and the C2S I speced out cost more than the GT3 I would want. I found that really quite strange.

edit:
And for the love of god why will they not make a GT3 with PDK...
Oh but you say "Manual is god, only a pussy drives an automatic", dont care what you say, dual clutches are the shit on the track and in my mind far superior the the stick shift.

edit 2:
And my argument goes further. The GT3/GT3 RS are supposed to be the most focused track weapons. A PDK will make it much faster on the track, so should they not have a PDK solely for the speed? The idea of picking one option over the other simply for a "feel" or nostalgia reason, despite it being slower, flies square in the face of the entire GT3/RS philosophy in my opinion.

Last edited:
Was screwing around on the Porsche website and the C2S I speced out cost more than the GT3 I would want. I found that really quite strange.

edit:
And for the love of god why will they not make a GT3 with PDK...
Oh but you say "Manual is god, only a pussy drives an automatic", dont care what you say, dual clutches are the shit on the track and in my mind far superior the the stick shift.

edit 2:
And my argument goes further. The GT3/GT3 RS are supposed to be the most focused track weapons. A PDK will make it much faster on the track, so should they not have a PDK solely for the speed? The idea of picking one option over the other simply for a "feel" or nostalgia reason, despite it being slower, flies square in the face of the entire GT3/RS philosophy in my opinion.

Wild-assed-guess: The Porsche PDK isn't durable enough to withstand heavy track use. Hence it doesn't get installed in the GT3.