2008 Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix

Holy fucking shit...as a Massa fan I felt angry and sad. Due to someone else's mistakes, victory slipped between his fingers.
Congrats to Alonso, he really deserved it.
As for the night race, I liked it! :)

Alonso after the race, when asked why he didn't celebrate too much on the podium: "I was too weak to do so. The drink bottle didn't work and it was a tough race so I was exhausted when I got out of the car. On the podium I didn't feel very well, actually I couldn't even see the other people on the podium. I saw coloured spots but I didn't see faces. Sometimes you feel like this after a race, especially if it's as long and hot as this one."

Yeah, it is an insanly rough race to drive. Hamilton said 1 lap there was like 2 in Monaco....yikes....

With the rest, though: those races in Australia and Japan - and these days, China as well - which those of us in GMT+0/1 time zones have to get up ridiculously early for - those are what separate the hardcore fans from the casuals. I want to see those 4 am starts stay on the calendar!
Then I'm really a hardcore fan. 90% of the races in the calender start in around 5 or 4 Am in the morning for me. I usually watch them live, but sometimes I'm just too tired and record it.

Pity other tracks such as Sepang and Australia are about to jump on the night-race-Bernie-bandwagon because this clearly showed its difference.

While the night racing worked at Singapore - it wouldn't work anywhere near as well at Sepang or Melbourne. Singapore worked well because it was right in the city, so you had a backdrop & other things around the circuit.

Australia isn't, and won't be, jumping on the night-race bandwagon.

Alonso after the race, when asked why he didn't celebrate too much on the podium: "...I saw coloured spots ...."

LOL friggin Spainish racist!

just joking...

I just can't believe how the entire ferrari camp seems to be choking - stupid bad pit stops, blown engines, etc.

oh my fucking god... i love Singapore GP! all the dangerous barriers, sparks, backfires, high speed overtaking at turn-7. and for some reason watching the street markings on the ground move past at 300km/h is such a pleasure.
this is definitely in my opinion a very positive addition to the F1 calender. :thumbsup:

While the night racing worked at Singapore - it wouldn't work anywhere near as well at Sepang or Melbourne. Singapore worked well because it was right in the city, so you had a backdrop & other things around the circuit.

Australia isn't, and won't be, jumping on the night-race bandwagon.

I agree completely, a street circuit is best at night and just yesterday news broke from Sepang that they will not be holding the night race, but will instead delay the start until about 5pm local time. This means it will finish in the dusk of the 7pm time.

Wow what a race! The cars look stunning under the lights and it was amazing seeing all the sparks and blue flames spitting from the exhausts. The track was quite unforgiving which led to some interesting moments rather than the usual boring trips through the runoff areas. F1 definitely needs more circuits like this one!

As a side note: after several pit lane incidents this season I'm surprised the FIA haven't told Ferrari to stop using their light system on grounds of safety.

someone at pF1 had a kick writing "fastest but point-less" for kimi... so sad but true. he's my favorite driver, but boy is he useless at getting points these last few outings..
though he only just rode over the giant curbs.. street walls, what can he do

anyways alonso had a huge turn around, but i was surprised that rosberg still came out in 3rd after that stop and go penalty.. martin was wondering if he even stopped, but i guess thats what happens with field spread with the heavily fueled..

good race, good venue - but without the SC, it would have been processional.. the "trulli-train" hahaha

Good race for Alonso, very fortunate though with the safety car lottery which is making a mockery of the sport. I'm not saying he doesnt deserve it, but it just seems unfair that one can either have it all fall their way (Alonso) or come away with absolutely nothing (Kubica, and Kovalainen) just because of the fuel strategy that is determined before the race. Where's Alonso going to go for 2009? The ITV commentators mentioned how Renault were going to increase their operational budget by 30-40% next year...I suspect that's just a ploy to keep Alonso's services, and if he leaves the team, then don't expect much to change.

Good to see Rosberg on the podium and nice to see a solid result for Williams.

I have nothing to say about Ferrari that hasn't already been said. That pitlane light system of theirs has to go though. It has caused several near misses this year and facilitated the unsafe release of the cars and puts the wellbeing of their pitcrew at risk, not to mention costing the team time and places on track. Oh, and good thing Raikkonen has already inked his contract for next season.

I think you're a little unfair in your criticisms of Trulli, Joco. The Toyota was completely brimmed with fuel which would've been desperately slow against the lighter cars and it looked a bit of a handful on that sort of circuit.

Not sure what happened to Kovalainen, I suspect the way it all fell out at the first round of stops was detrimental to his race, he probably had to queue behind Hamilton which let all the others directly behind him through. Thats all I can imagine as we didnt see anything of him. It didn't work out, but he wasnt on the pace all weekend.

Closing thoughts: what on Earth does Massa have against Sutil? He charged him in Valencia, Tried again in the Singapore pitlane, then was tangled up at the grandstand corner resulting in Sutil's eventual demise! Lay off the poor guy Felipe! :lol:

Last edited:
Not sure what happened to Kovalainen, I suspect the way it all fell out at the first round of stops was detrimental to his race, he probably had to queue behind Hamilton which let all the others directly behind him through. Thats all I can imagine as we didnt see anything of him.

You are correct:

"... When the Safety Car came out and the pitlane was opened a couple of laps later, Lewis and I came in and I had to wait behind him until it was my turn." ... Team boss Ron Dennis added "... Heikki's race was spoiled by having to queue in the pits."

Source

I wondered what had happened to him as well.

Well, I doubt anyone cares about my opinion, but this is my wrapup of the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

Renault
Great race from Alonso, especially starting from 15th. His team mates stuffup was his to gain. Although its almost like it was all planned out with Piquet crashing, and Rosberg and the other guy having to do a 10sec penalty.
Williams-Toyota
Great race from Rosberg, especially from 8th on teh grid. Nakajima's full lockup was cool to see, but im guessing he got quite a bit of vibration from his tires after that.
McLaren Mercedes
Great race from Lewis. I especially loved his overtake of Coulthard near the end of the race, just so clean and everything. Heikki who? This guy is just a waste of space in my opinion. They really should be getting a better driver. If Heikki were to score McMerc would be like 10 points ahead of Ferrari in the points thingy.
Toyota
Umm, honestly I didn't really see much of Toyota. All I know is that Trulli had some issue and coasted back to the pits. Good on Glock for getting 4th.
Toro Rosso-Ferrari
Good effort, Vettel will benefit from moving up to Red Bull but not much IMO. If he moves back to BMW that would be great for his career. Bourdais..eh.I saw him spin, I thought it was quite cool. And I heard he has raced at night in single seaters before, but that experience didnt really help him
BMW Sauber
Kubica almost spun Heikki at the beginnign which i thought was pretty slack. Heidfeld still hasn't retired this season. *knock on wood*
Red Bull-Renault
Webber, if you win a race/qually/fastest lap I will bow down to you and kiss your shoes but until then. DC, get out of Hamilton's way! Old farts won't always be good.
Honda
I'm guessing Barrichello just ran out of fuel. I think this was the case in Silverstone this year?? A shame for Button, was just out of points scoring.
Ferrari
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Since I love Lewis, I was just hoping something would happen to him, first was some stuff in his radiator. Then the big one. He went with the fuel hose!!! I was just laughing and going YEEESSS!!! and then he waited in pit lane, and then it took time to take it off. And i was laughing so much. Raikkonen, WTF?! you screwed up with 5 laps to go!! Don't intimidate if you arent going to watch it properly.
Force-India Ferrari
Who? What? Seriously, when Fisichella was 2nd, I was like whoa, thats the only time FI will ever come close to a podium. And then when Massa slides off into the water thingy, Sutil says 'anything you can do i can do better' and rams it. Was that where Webber stuffed up the other day?

Anyway, thats my lousy wrap up of the first street/night/singapore race of Singapore, asia.

Hahahah stop stealing my race report layout you thieving bastards!!

SO much to write but have to concentrate on an assignment. In brief good race good track night racing cool great result.

Wish that I hadn't fallen asleep waiting for the race now, I was looking forward to it. What the hell happened to Webber? And Ferrari? Saw the clips of Massa taking the fuel rig for a walk and Kimi crashing out on the news.

At least Glock had a good race

Can anyone tell if Sutil's crash was caused by massa pulling back out in front of him? Certinally looked it to me...