Do you enjoy solitude?

Do you enjoy solitude?

• Yes

Votes: 157 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 12.3%

• Total voters
Yes, Recently I've been enjoying/preferring time alone, I find my self looking for a purpose in life or basically what I'm going to do after graduation(graduating soon), I love to do lots of things but I want to be independent and earn a good living.:)

I enjoy being alone, lets me wander my mind around freely, surf the internet, explore music... On the other hand I enjoy going to the pub and talking to people as well. People need some of both :)
I can't stand people who always need to be with somebody though. I hate meaningless chitchat or typical timespenders like card or board games.

To me the topic title and the question posed in the poll are two different things.

I do enjoy solitude quite much. Not to sound like a sour grump or anything, but I just don't care much for most people (intellectual midgets, rude people, douchebags, you know the general population), and I would rather not be around them and just be at peace with myself. Going out and just wandering around alone in the forest, it's just so serene and whatnot. Also that's the sort of thing that I think of when I think solitude, not just being home alone - that's just TV time. ;-)

But then the question of is a significant portion of your time spent in solitude, it's just all quite subjective. A significant portion of time, what would that even be? I spend a significant amount of time sleeping, but that time isn't significant. I don't go out much, but then again if it weren't for that then I would be headed down a completely different, likely less satisfying, road in life. So then it comes to whether or not I spend that time in solitude. Like Toma I'm another stinking artist, so I spend a lot of time honing my skills, and it wouldn't even matter if I was surrounded by a million billion people because when I'm working other people don't even exist.

Or am I not being literal enough? I know solitude is literally a synonym for alone, but in my dictionary solitude is closer to serenity (my dictionary has a lot of whiteout and added notes in the margins, it's awesome)

I live on my own and have done for eight years, and it's the only way I've had it - admirably demonstrated when my then-girlfriend moved in for a couple of months, which caused us to split - even if that ended up being delayed for a year, things were never quite the same again. I haven't been "out" for the last two weeks, and haven't have so much as any human contact beyond buying milk at the local Spar since Saturday afternoon.

And now, showing absolutely no signs of solitude-induced madness at all, I'm off to the pub in a few minutes. There are people there I'm expecting to see who need me to be there. And there's the added bonus of beer. Proper beer with twigs and mud in it.

To an extent I do enjoy being alone.

Although I am very much a people person and need to have social contact. Sometimes I just like to be alone.

I like to spend quite a lot of my time on my own and I have done all my life. When I was younger, my brother and sister would always have friends round because they were unable to amuse themselves that well, whereas I was contempt playing on my own, making things, out exploring and exploiting what my imagination had to offer. It was great.

I am still like that pretty much, valuing the time I have alone. One of the main reasons I like to spend so much time to myself is that whenever you are with someone, you nearly always have to make compromises and can't always enjoy yourself to the full amount. I am not a loner though, I have a large and varied amount of friends who I do enjoy spending time with, but not all the time as I am incredibly shy, introverted, like to keep myself to myself (not bother people) etc. Since I started at University a couple of Months ago however, the time alone has decreased and is becoming more and more difficult to fit in, but it is possible though finding the right balance so I am not left out of things and managing to get work done.

I find i am much more comfortable by myself. I am not sure why but i bet it has something to do with being an only child of two working parents and spending the lions share of my time growing up alone. I don't know as i would change how i grew up but it has defintely stunted my social growth. Especilly when i was in my late teens and early twenties. I am working on trying to be more social but it is far far too easy for me to just go into my room put on some music and read or whatever.

I'm never lonely with you guys around. :wub:

But seriously it all just depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to be around people and other times I just want to be alone.

Yes, and I married a very understanding woman too.

I like doing stuff by myself, but I like to have other people around to show random shit to and to talk to. :)

As with alot of people trying to better themselves, I essentially have to set aside a large chunk of time for solitude, so I can figure wtf it is that I want/have/strive and whatnot. In my particular case, if I didn't study my ass off I'd otherwise get nothing done and I'd get kicked out of college, thereby ruining my life as far as I'm concerned. When you're at my age, after leaving the military and finding out that the transition back to the civilian sector just isn't working out thus far, you end up taking a higher education far more seriously than by most people in my age group.

Ah, us poor souls, deprived of social life in the pursuit of larger goals. For it is only in each other's company that we may freely unload our feelings of loneliness. Alas, friends from afar, let us comfort each other and have a deep and meaningful
http://img205.imageshack.**/img205/2268/grouphughy8.jpg
If you knew what was going to happen, why did you click the spoiler? :p

If you knew what was going to happen, why did you click the spoiler? :p

The same reason Charlie Brown kept kicking at the football? :p I wonder if any other forum has the kind of relationship that we do with that damn picture.

http://img205.imageshack.**/img205/2268/grouphughy8.jpg
eyes.jpg
Why do I keep clicking spoiler tags before I finish reading the preceding comments?!?

The same reason Charlie Brown kept kicking at the football? :p I wonder if any other forum has the kind of relationship that we do with that damn picture.
Probably, but we probably wouldn't want to be a part of it.

To me the topic title and the question posed in the poll are two different things.

Glad you picked up on that, that's what I was going for.

I know everyone has different definitions of solitude and loneliness, so I left the poll question kind of open ended. I know all humans need some time alone, to think and figure things out... so I didn't want the question to merely ask if you ever take some time for yourself, because everyone does that.

Now I don't know if web surfing, coming on FG, watching TV and other activities like that would be considered solitude. I guess that is also up to your definitions, and whether you're alone because you like it or because you have no one.

Lots of interesting replies guys. Not only is this interesting from a sociological point of view, it also allows us to get to know more about each other. :)