Mother needs a new car

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
I would like suggestions.
Things I have suggested she does not want:
New Beetle- she is "too old" despite my grandmother who I inherited it from apparently wasn't.
Camaro (she had an old one)- she cares more about transporting chrismas trees than fun. So any fun sports car things are no.
Some sort of subaru- the commercials here have annoyed her so much she is boycotting them. Same with toyotas which I would not suggest anyway because they are boring.

She wants a smart car, which is the worst choice ever because she needs to have trunk space and she wouldn't drive it on the highway. She says we will take my car but that is a LIE because she doesn't now with her PT cruiser that only starts half the time.

Things I have suggested she is OK with:
VW rabbit/GTI- would be a good car but she worries knowing about my car's electrics. Still a big improvement over her's though. The only thing broken with mine right now is the roof. Most issues can be fixed by buying one not from mexico.
Jeep Wrangler- Great for these awful snow ruined roads and can bring home plenty of trees. Unfortunately owned by Chrysler which is a sinking ship.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

durp durp
Should have added that we are not made of money and the PT will not get much trade in in this condition. Also keeping in mind this is a 50 year old lady not the normal threads of 20 yr old boys lol

Last edited:
She doesn't know. I think it would depend on the car, how much she wants it and such. Cheaper is better and used cars are fine.

2010 Ford Taurus SHO.

How about something like a Jetta, Jetta wagon, Volvo V50 or a C30 if she wants something different? The GTI is a solid choice, the Rabbit is pretty cheap and it feels like it on the inside. Oh and there's the VW Tiguan if she wants a small crossover.

Last edited:
Don't think all Toyotas are boring. My mom has a 2005 Matrix and it's far from boring to drive. Plus, your mom will like the amount of space it has, coming from a PT Cruiser.

Also, the Matrix is a Toyota and your mom won't have to worry about it not starting like she does with VWs and the PT Cruiser. :D

Ford Fusion?

2005-2006 Altima. Probably can get for well under $15000.

Ford Fusion if buying a new sedan, I would say.

If she "wants to haul Christmas trees", maybe a pre-owned Murano?

:hammer:
My mother in her great stubborn has decided the best option is to get the PT fixed. By the dealer.
facepalmemoteplz.gif

The suspension, that has nothing to do with what is making it not start alone was quoted at 2k. She has already taken the car to another mechanic, who couldn't even figure out what the hell is going on because the CEL code that she is getting has no meaning. I forsee her paying a huge amount of money for them to "fix it" get it back and it's still broken.

What's the code it's setting?

And yeah, it sounds like your mother's getting the "stupid woman driver reverse discount".

I don't even know anymore but they looked it up and it could have been like 4 things, they tried all 4 things and it's still broken.

I just looked up the KBB value of the car in perfect condition... less than 5k. In this state it's worth maybe 3 tops. That is just not worth it if this engine issue is more than 1k on top of the other stuff the damn thing is totalled.

Wouldn't it horrible if there were a hit and run on it?

actually yes, because the insurance here counts that as an at fault accident even if you are nowhere near the car.

She should get a Suzuki SX4. Compact hatchback, AWD, and I think there's a dealer up there. If I needed a commuter car around here it would be at the very top of my list.