Mercedes S-Class Coupe Caught Testing Again

Xeonidas

The latest spy shots of the S-Class Coupe, previously known as the CL, are here.

What's new?

LED daytime running lights, and new front and rear bumpers.

Check out the related links for a few more details which we've previously reported on but that's pretty much it for this facelift.

Engines expected in the S-Class Coupe will be the same as featured in the sedan variant. A 5.5 liter V8 and 3.0 liter diesel will be available, the diesel also likely to be offered with BlueEfficiency technology for improved fuel economy.

Also in the cards may be an S-Class Coupe 400 BlueHybrid, just like the sedan model. That drivetrain is made up of a 3.5 liter V6 gasoline engine with 279 hp coupled to a 20 hp electric motor providing a total of 385 Nm of torque. Fuel economy on the S400 BlueHybrid sedan is a healthy 7.9 liters/100 km, though, some critics contend you'd be better off with the 3.0 liter diesel.
4358447.jpg

2931136.jpg

8304065.jpg

3924428.jpg

6232090.jpg

do they mean CL?

Merc is going back to its old naming system. Like the CLK is now the E-class Coupe.

W124 E-Class coupe:
http://img180.imageshack.**/img180/7581/mercedesw124couperear20.jpg

W140 S-Class coupe:
http://img8.imageshack.**/img8/3650/15878758.jpg

i think marketing wise they should of kept the CL name

Personally I think changing it to S is better for marketing. The S has always been the big daddy of all Mercs, it has heritage, and has kept its reputation for decades.
Also now old people looking for a new car to go to the golf club will not be as confused with all the S/CL stuff.

Last edited:
Looks gorgeous. Imagine it in black or dark blue with AMG wheels. <3

yes, do want. Hybrid option sounds nice, but aren't they offering this with a bigass diesel aswell? 3.0 isn't sufficient for such a heavy car.

I find it kind of confusing to look at. The front looks like it comes from a long nosed roadster, while the back looks like it comes off a luxury sedan. Both look good, but the combination is slightly odd.

Merc is going back to its old naming system. Like the CLK is now the E-class Coupe.

W124 E-Class coupe:
http://img180.imageshack.**/img180/7581/mercedesw124couperear20.jpg

W140 S-Class coupe:
http://img8.imageshack.**/img8/3650/15878758.jpg

Personally I think changing it to S is better for marketing. The S has always been the big daddy of all Mercs, it has heritage, and has kept its reputation for decades.
Also now old people looking for a new car to go to the golf club will not be as confused with all the S/CL stuff.

I didn't appreciate him at the time, but damn I miss Bruno Sacco now.

The side profile is hideous. It looks like a beached whale. Though it is an S class so maybe that's what they were looking for.

The S has always been the big daddy of all Mercs, it has heritage, and has kept its reputation for decades.
In the words of Henry Hill: "And now it's all gone."

There is no such thing as an S-Class coupe. There never has been and there never will be.

This is the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of the universe.

Last edited:
So the Merc SEL and the Merc SE aren't S class cars?

E just stood for Injection and the L stood for long version
As expected C stood for coupe.

It's more akin to BMWs CI or I suffix.

please be called SEC please be called SEC ple...

I should state my case a little more clearly: I understand that the SEC is an S-Class but it needs that C in the name to denote its coupeishness. If the badge on this new one reads, lets say, S300 and it only has two doors... well, that just seems wrong to me. Very wrong.

I should state my case a little more clearly: I understand that the SEC is an S-Class but it needs that C in the name to denote its coupeishness. If the badge on this new one reads, lets say, S300 and it only has two doors... well, that just seems wrong to me. Very wrong.

Uh, look at the back of that white S500 that is in this topic. It has happened before, it will happen again.