Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Help identifying this bus required:
164786_489644476837_738186837_5906558_1705930_n.jpg

Just a curiosity, do any of you guys pay to park inside your University's campus? Here it's ~2 bucks to enter the campus(where all the different colleges are).

Just a curiosity, do any of you guys pay to park inside your University's campus? Here it's ~2 bucks to enter the campus(where all the different colleges are).

To get inside you need an RFID chip, students can get one for free if they have a reason to park inside. The parking spaces surrounding the campus are free (as in free beer, not as in empty).

There's a parking space just outside campus where people park in. But we sometimes have classes in buildings as far as 1 kilometer away from the free parking space.

I've just learned that my dear old ma had an E-type Jag in the 70's.

Apparently she liked to go quite fast and took it up to 120 a number of times.

This explains much.

So, what went wrong, O Carless Bum? :mrgreen:

Last edited:

At the University of Utah, which is larger than most towns in this state, you have to buy a parking pass for several hundred dollars per semester. There are different passes:
X - Park wherever the hell you like, in handicap spots, on the sidewalk, in firelanes. This is a unicorn and only a few are issued to very specific people each year.
R - You have a reserved parking spot all of your own. Used as an "A" pass when not in that spot.
A - Faculty parking, you get the lots closest to the buildings, but you still have to fight for a spot. Good for "U" and "E" lots too.
U - Second-tier parking. They issue a ton of these regardless of the number of spots actually available on campus. Better get to class around 7 if you want a spot. (Works for "E" lots too)
E - or "Economy" you might as well leave the car at home for how far you will have to walk. I shit you not, you will finally find a place to park in the next county and still have to take a bus to class.

All this is enforced by The Parking Gestapo - a ruthless bunch of inhuman bastards that kick puppies and eat cute kittens while they are still kicking. They gave us a ticket for parking in the hospital parking structure "too much" when my dad was in ICU for two months. They demanded to see his medical records to dismiss the ticket. We told them to go fuck themselves and took our complaint to the President of the University because, as a state agency, they have no entitlement to private medical records. We informed them that any other tickets would be considered harassment (they are known for tracking down people who make a fight of a ticket) and we would have their ass up in court.

with a toyota-lip-stick-red fender :D

Hmm.. The bus had been in service for the past 60+ years, and only been restored (albeit not perfectly) a few years ago :O

Does anybody know what could be the cause of a knocking noise coming from the back of the car? It's a 2008 Astra XR with 53,200 miles. It typically occurs when the car is braking or going over a large bump. it started about 2 weks ago and has gotten progressively worse. my guess is that it could be the shocks. I don't want to take it to the dealer until after the busy holiday season.

Thanks!

Either a really bad shock or some bad bushings.

Also, I don't want to understand the Saturn thing. :p

Here, parking is 65 bucks per year. Like BlindIo's school, we have several types of decals. The one to get is the Resident decal, as it allows you to park in Resident parking lots as well as Commuter and Faculty/Staff lots after 3 pm. I have one this year because i've earned more than 60 credits, and believe me..its a lot better than the "Storage Lot" decal everyone who lives on campus gets when they start here. The Storage Lot is pretty far away, and when I was sick last year, I decided to take the campus bus to Wal-Mart for soup instead of shoveling my car out once I walked to the lot...it was that bad.

If you have 5 or more parking tickets (paid or unpaid) or 3 unpaid tickets, they'll find your car and boot it. This sucks, esp. if your car's old and breaks down a lot. There's an Excel parked out front that hasn't moved in about a week- now has a bright yellow boot.

155$ for parking like blind_io said. The parking lot usually fills up by the time I get there and I have to park in the overflow lot, which while being equally close is made of 3" big gravel and everyone parks like this because there are no lines.

We either have to pay $4 per day for casual entry, or you can get semester/year long passes. Students can only get student passes, which allows you to park in any general parking area all day (except where marked otherwise). Staff have to fork out for expensive faculty passes, which allows them the same priveledges as the student passes and access to staff only parks. Resident passes for students living on campus get student pass rights and access to parking outside the residency halls. Services passes allow you to park anywhere except in special allocated spaces and disabled parks, and special passes are everywhere except other peoples allocated spaces and disabled. If you have a state issued disability sticker on your car/a uni issued temporary disability pass, you can park pretty much so anywhere you want free of charge. In other words, borrowing your grandparents car to go to uni suddenly became a good idea :lol:

Also, these sorts of rules and charges only apply from about 8:30am til 5:30pm- out of those times, you can park for free almost anywhere from memory. And there are nowhere near enough spaces on campus to meet demand, and the parking police take full advantage of it, especially during the first few weeks of semester (when enrolment and attendance is still high). This causes the annual write in and complain to the local paper fest.

A quarter pass was something around $80. I never received enough tickets to warrant a purchase. I did mostly walk to classes though.

Forgot to mention that there was the idea of a pass valid for a longer period of time last year but they dropped it and increased the daily tax to the present $2. It's not like they invest that money in any real parking amenities