The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Hah, I was not expecting that.

Why not a KLR 650 or maybe a Triumph Tiger?

I don't know how good ND's BMW Motorrad dealer network is, but it's probably not the best. Don't also forget to consider the "I just dropped my $12k BMW down a ravine and now it's broken" factor.

On my list once I can affoard to get a [legal, working] motorcycle myself. Also, I'd probably keep the GL1000, as half the state is great for a big cruiser, which is probably why 90% of the motorcycles between the Red River and Jamestown are some kind of Harley or a Honda VTX.

Yeah, I will be keeping the GL1000 for sure. I've totally ruined its collector value anyways by fitting the comstars, wrong year bodywork and wrong year exhaust. It does however, really need a windshield and some case guards so I can mount some flip down highway pegs.

Hah, I was not expecting that.

Why not a KLR 650 or maybe a Triumph Tiger?

I don't know how good ND's BMW Motorrad dealer network is, but it's probably not the best. Don't also forget to consider the "I just dropped my $12k BMW down a ravine and now it's broken" factor.

KLR is a no because thumper. Long highway trip + thumper = bad. Also the KLR is too much of a dirt bike and not enough of a road bike for me to want to do 600 mile days on it. The Tiger is a no because of chain drive. I've had 2 chain drive bikes, and I'd like to avoid that when possible.

There are no BMW dealers in NoDak but there is one in Sturgis which is only 300 miles. The 1150GS as pictured has proved itself to be rather good at withstanding being dropped down a ravine anyways. I don't think the tiger or KLR would fare much better if you pushed them off a cliff as well.

I rode the GS1200. It is a big bike, but the weight is very manageable, especially for a guy your size. Just be warned that BMW has the most expensive repair and maintenance costs of any of the big bike makes.

I don't think the tiger or KLR would fare much better if you pushed them off a cliff as well.

I don't deny that either, but this is the reason behind that:

Just be warned that BMW has the most expensive repair and maintenance costs of any of the big bike makes.

But if you get one, well :thumbsup: they are cool, even though I don't fit :p

I'll just drop these off here.

Someone attempting "The Full Modernized BlaRo Riding Position" with his new bike...
IMG_0141.JPG

Clarkson: "Where's my hammer?"
IMG_0142.JPG

Heh, I like bikes, but I'm not suicidal enough to want to ride one as my commuter. Maybe when I can wake up and turn on the morning news and not hear about some dipshit crashing his Suburban into another dipshit in a Ford F350, then and only then will I consider a bike.
But that just makes the commute so much more exciting. :p

You've got the GL1000 if you want to do 600 miles a day. If you want a big enduro that can put up with some real abuse (for a relatively low cost) the KLR650 is your best bet. If you have to have a bimmer, then get the F800GS. Less weight, lower cost, better offroad than the R1150GS and maybe even the KLR.

Clarkson: "Where's my hammer?"
Aw, it's just a dead-blow, can't do any damage with that. :lol:

Also the KLR is too much of a dirt bike and not enough of a road bike for me to want to do 600 mile days on it. The Tiger is a no because of chain drive.

The Tiger's also more ... dual-sport styled rather than really a true DS that you'd want to take off road.

If you have to have a bimmer, then get the F800GS. Less weight, lower cost, better offroad than the R1150GS and maybe even the KLR.

I know beemers keep their price well, but I'd still think that a used R1150 would be cheaper than an F800. The 800's only been around since 2008, the oldest 1150 are over 10 years old now.

Goat road? I'm with you there - I don't like blind corners and really never understood the appeal of goat roads.
I don't even know the term "goat road".

The roads yesterday were just small roads leading to very small hamlets or something, like at most three houses at a time. It was a good ride, just not in the way of leaning into corners. More like accelerate - guess how tight corner is - brake - repeat. :D But the second half of the tour made up for it. Shame it too suffered from bad road surface syndrome.

Shhh, didn't you learn not to complain about German roads in the presence of Americans? :p

Any thoughts?

BMW's are great bikes. I'm pretty sure Spectre will be able to fill you in on the Final-Drive issues with those bikes.

I can't blame you for wanting an adventure bike. It seems they're the only bike that feels like they were designed with taller riders in mind. If I had to choose, I'd go with either a Ducati Multstrada 1200,
Ducati_Multistrada_1200_11.jpg
A triumph tiger 800XC
5102061056_fbfa6a562d.jpg

Or, if you're like me, and too much of a cheap prick, you could always get a wee-strom (Which will probably be the replacement for my Bandit in a few years)

2012-Suzuki-VStrom650ABSa.jpg

I rode the GS1200. It is a big bike, but the weight is very manageable, especially for a guy your size. Just be warned that BMW has the most expensive repair and maintenance costs of any of the big bike makes.

I'm not too worried about the maintenance and repairs costs since I intend to do everything I can myself. I know parts can be expensive but from what I've seen and read, the 1150GS is a very durable beast.

You've got the GL1000 if you want to do 600 miles a day. If you want a big enduro that can put up with some real abuse (for a relatively low cost) the KLR650 is your best bet. If you have to have a bimmer, then get the F800GS. Less weight, lower cost, better offroad than the R1150GS and maybe even the KLR.

F800GS starts at 10 grand for a used one, which is too much. I can get an R1150GS for 5k-8k. As for the KLR, like I said, its still too much a dirt bike. I want a road bike which can handle some offroading, not the other way around. The GL1000 may do fine on a 600 mile day with some modification, but that isn't the direction I plan to take it with my planned future mods.

BMW's are great bikes. I'm pretty sure Spectre will be able to fill you in on the Final-Drive issues with those bikes.

I can't blame you for wanting an adventure bike. It seems they're the only bike that feels like they were designed with taller riders in mind. If I had to choose, I'd go with either a Ducati Multstrada 1200,
View attachment 4950
A triumph tiger 800XC
View attachment 4951

Or, if you're like me, and too much of a cheap prick, you could always get a wee-strom (Which will probably be the replacement for my Bandit in a few years)

View attachment 4952

I've considered the 'strom, both 650 and 1000 but I detest chain drive which leaves me with pretty much only the big Beemers until the Super Tenere gets cheaper. As for the tiger and multistrada, they are also chain drive and expensive. If I was going to be willing to pay 10-14k, I'd just buy a brand new Super Tenere and call it done. From what I've read the final drive failures are only an issue on the R1200GS, not the 1150, 1100 or any of the earlier models which are the only ones in my price range. Now of course, when Honda starts making this, I'll have something new to consider.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/08/23/vfr1200x_20crosstourer.jpg

Well, the good thing about new bikes, is something called "demo rides." Special events where one can sign up to test ride any bike that is offered. You may want to consider doing a few of those on the beemer, the tenere, and some of their chain drive competition to see what you want before you pull the trigger on something.

Well, the good thing about new bikes, is something called "demo rides." Special events where one can sign up to test ride any bike that is offered. You may want to consider doing a few of those on the beemer, the tenere, and some of their chain drive competition to see what you want before you pull the trigger on something.

I will be looking into that for sure in the spring. I don't really see much point in doing a 600 mile round trip to the nearest BMW or Triumph or whatever dealer now because that would just make waiting suck that much more.

I will be looking into that for sure in the spring. I don't really see much point in doing a 600 mile round trip to the nearest BMW or Triumph or whatever dealer now because that would just make waiting suck that much more.

I'd find the nearest town with dealers for all the brands you are interested in then plan a day or two in the city to try them out.

I find myself drooling over a KTM RC8R.

That guy is a douche and don't deserve more than a bicycle.

Sorry GR, I moved it to Idiots+ Motorcycles = LOL thread. I thought it fit better over there.

I don't even know the term "goat road".

The roads yesterday were just small roads leading to very small hamlets or something, like at most three houses at a time. It was a good ride, just not in the way of leaning into corners. More like accelerate - guess how tight corner is - brake - repeat. :D But the second half of the tour made up for it. Shame it too suffered from bad road surface syndrome.

That pretty much sums up what a goat road is. :D Narrow and tight turns, blind corners, not enough room, bad road surface etc. This thread sums it up nicely with some pics too.

Well, I know that SLC has two BMW dealerships here and they always do demos (wish the Ducati truck would stop here <_<). If you have the time, feel free to stop here for the weekend. You'll have a place to crash at. :)