The "New Toys" Thread

yep! i also updated to v4 :) but i can't seem to remove the pesky click the camera makes even when im in silent mode... they say that the asian firmware can't silence it. i have to reflash to european firmware...

...and for me, a new monitor for uni work/photography use:

Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC UltraSharp

insideDell-2407WFP-HC-Monit.jpg

It's an upgrade of the popular 2407, with improved (92%) colour gamut, which is great for photographers such as myself!

Oooh, I think I know what monitor I want now!
I wanted to get 22" wide, but they're all on TN panels. So is this Dell expensive? :)

Well I ordered from Dell direct in the UK. They say they do have stock of it even though it's not on the website yet! (tbh, the order acknowledgment doesnt say it's the HC version, but the sales 'guy' insists it is. So if I dont get the HC version, heads will roll!)
I payed ?510 inv VAT + Delivery. The normal version goes for about ?430ish, so it's a little bit more, but I've read that it is worth it.

I was considering a 22" myself, but I though, heck, if Im gonna buy one, do it properly and go all the way lol! :)

That's really not bad. I was expecting something over 1000?.
I did a quick search and haven't found a single shop selling Dell monitors here though...

EDIT: Ok, Dell itself sells it here, for a whooping 1017.48?! (that's 683?)

Not exactly technology, but a new toy nonetheless...
detail_cfx.jpg

If anyone cares, I can talk more about it.

It's a CFX, a spring air rifle manufactured by Gamo. 1000fps, fixed barrel and synthetic stock. I also bought a Tasco 3-9x40 scope. It's a lot of fun shooting it. Sure there are much better airguns around, but here in Brazil I have 3 options: cheap, sorry excuses for guns, Gamos and fullblown PCP's. And since PCP's cost at least USD$2000, I am very happy! Great power, little recoil and good accuracy.

4p0njeo.jpg

54e86rq.jpg

building will commence tomorrow :)

My girlfriend and i decided to replace our aging celeron 1GHz laptop with a nice new notebook. ASUS Z83T, 17" screen, Turion64 MK36, 2GB RAM and GeForce 7600GT. Should do just fine for a bit of couch- and bed-interwebsing :mrgreen:.

It's a CFX, a spring air rifle manufactured by Gamo. 1000fps, fixed barrel and synthetic stock. I also bought a Tasco 3-9x40 scope. It's a lot of fun shooting it. Sure there are much better airguns around, but here in Brazil I have 3 options: cheap, sorry excuses for guns, Gamos and fullblown PCP's. And since PCP's cost at least USD$2000, I am very happy! Great power, little recoil and good accuracy.

My friend bought just that rifle when i was up in his Summer home two weeks ago, i shot a pigeon in the face :blink:

No, it's a really powerful rifle i was amazed how far it could shoot. He paid ?300 How much did you give for it?

My friend bought just that rifle when i was up in his Summer home two weeks ago, i shot a pigeon in the face :blink:

No, it's a really powerful rifle i was amazed how far it could shoot. He paid ?300 How much did you give for it?

Long distance shooting is easy with this gun, it's perfectly capable of 100 yard shots. I paid about USD$750, but it is , ahem, *imported* by some people...If it was sold here by the official importer, it would cost about USD$1000, judging by the price of the other models by Gamo sold here...

What's a pcp?

Quick explanation: airguns generally are one of the 3 kinds: springers, CO2 and PCP.
Springer (like mine) are powered by a spring (duh) which moves a piston, which compresses air in a chamber. Such compressed air propels the pellet. All this moving parts cause recoil and someday you have to replace the spring.
In CO2 guns, the pellets are propelled by the expansion of this gas, that can be stored in a tank attached to the gun or in little disposable canisters like these
co2canister.jpg

PCP can be a drug, but it also stands for "previously compressed pneumatic" and take this a little further. The idea is pretty much the same, but you have a tank attached to the gun with air compressed up to 3200psi. It has more power, the shots are more consistent, most of them have adjustable power and to refill the tank you only need a hand pump or a scuba tank, so it is somewhat more practical. The top airguns are of this kind, they make the most power, least recoil and most tanks are capable of 30-40 full power shots until the next refill.
I hope it helped:mrgreen:, if not, ask and I would be glad to answer!

Last edited:
shame it will crush and melt your legs if you put it on them ;-)

Hardly, it's about 1kg lighter than my old 14" Toshiba, and it doesn't get as hot as that one. The only part on this laptop that gets hot is the harddisk, which is mounted in a place that falls between your legs when you're sitting normally. But just to be sure we bought one of these to got with it:

Belkin CushTop, they realy rock. Tried them out at Cebit this year and instantly fell in love with it. And because i hate touchpads, we also bought a mouse to go with it:

Logitech VX Revolution, almost as good as my MX Revolution, but a lot smaller.