[10x05] November 11th, 2007

What a nice episode! I just think the Caparo review could've been a little longer, it felt somewhat rushed... but what a fantastic car, though! This race was the most original one, IMO. Sure, it didn't have the drama of a Veyron eating up French asphalt but was very good actually. All in all it was an episode that deserved to last 1,5 hour, as 1h feels just too little for it. Hope the next ones are on this level!

Both the Caparo and the Aston reviews were cut short, I didn't need to see so much about Cowell...however the race at the end of the show was Epic...perfectly timed, perfect proportions and the music holy crap...just epic

Great episode.
The "Team America Secret Signal" was something I NEVER would expect at Top Gear! Never! :lol:

im not surprised, clarkson may not be into america cars, but hes very much into hollywood movies, old and new. i suspect in another life he could have been a film reviewer instead of an automotive journalist.

Great episode. Caparo T1 is really Junk - It broke 3 times while 1 filming day IMO. + You cant use it on city rods.. waste of money.. IMO.

Because thats the only car that has ever gone wrong on the Top Gear track??:rolleyes: Simply awesome car, I love it to bits. It is insane!

I also have to wonder how the Vantage roadster would do against the Vantage coupe in an all-out drag race.

Probably a tenth or two behind.

Awesome episode!!!! Loved it all really. Cowell is funny even if he is a prick. Damn good driver as well. The bit with Stig looking at the paper was hilarious!

Not in this country mate. Cyclists have to obey traffic lights here.

Excellent episode - Hammond's shouting and swearing at the buses was sheer class :) I had a feeling he would win it - though I was suprised at the Stig - that's not a bad journey by public transport.

And as for the Aston............wow.

But Simon Cowell - who needs him. Get someone good on to knock him off the top, guys

Good episode.

Sorry to go OT but Momo63 your avatar, where was that taken it looks like it was from Australia.

I'm glad Hammond won the race after putting in so much effort. He deserves it. I felt so bad for him when he lost the North Pole race.

Excuse me for expressing some thoughts and not reading the whole thread about the previous episode.

Scan thru the whole thread and you'll see identical questions or points were brought up at least 3 or 4 times, please dont add to the repetition.

Sometimes JC's subtle sense of humor is just incredible: "What will happen to the STIG on public transport? Maybe he will be mistaken for a Brazilian electrician!".

I noticed this comment also. Very subtle, yet it could be very obvious for people who are aware of what went on in the news at July 2005.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not.. but....

Didn't they get in huge trouble when Jeremy called bus drivers Nazis a few seasons ago.... and Hammond just did the same thing.

I noticed this comment also. Very subtle, yet it could be very obvious for people who are aware of what went on in the news at July 2005.

Yes absolutely, I think if you aren't paying attention it just goes over people's heads. Also when he was talking about the W12 Golf that was put together in 8 weeks, he ends his comments by saying, "how did they loose?"
i guess a reference to the war(s). but again if you aren't paying attention that goes unnoticed.

great love his comments. and contrary to what simon cowell<_< believes that ANYBODY could do Clarkson's job i think ONLY clarkson could do his job. :D

...and that's half the series already gone :sad:
Anyway, the best bit was when :jc: arrived totally exhausted at the airport check-in just to be told that "the gentleman on the bike" has already arrived - utter shock! :rofl:

Yes, absolutely it was funny to see that because so often Clarkson wins.

Btw the way what do you think of this clip?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYqTtpikUYc
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYqTtpikUYc[/YOUTUBE]

Bug Splatter

Bug Splatter

Haha, I don't know if anybody else posted about or noticed the bug that got splattered on the camera during Jeramey's test of the Caparo. Check out 19:29 - 19:32. I thought it was pretty funny.

Absolutely!
The pins are poppies worn for Rembrance day also known as Armistice Day - 11th November - which is the day on which hostilities ceased in the First World War. It is a now solemn memorial day for those killed in all wars - a minute's silence is still observed in the UK on the 11th minute of the the 11th hour of the 11th of November (which it the time at which the guns were meant to have stopped on the battlefields of France in 1918. ). Many of the cars at MPH in Birmingham this year were sporting poppies.

uh, i did know about remembrance / memorial day (whatever you want to call it). but that the minute of silence it is at that exact time is news to me - ignorance i guess. what strikes me as odd is that at that exact time in germany the 5th season starts. that being the karneval season, like people dressing up in weird costumes and enjoying themselves. i don't know (nor care) how long this tradition has been going on, but it struck me as odd. and no, i don't think it's a german way to deal with the wars.... ;) (according to wiki it's been around since the 19th century)

bla, whatever...

aston vs rocketman was absolutely pointless, since we know from earlier tests (jeremy's for of that other aston) that it should have been capable to reach 150 mph, whereas that rocket dude tops out at 120 mph. so given the length of the runway, the car should've always won. it was just a matter of how fast the car could hit +120mph - anything beyond that point was just pointless. it's kinda like with the bug vs the eurofighter.

whatever, i thoroughly enjoyed this episode. gotta rewatch the african one first though, mad hamster love :D

Great episode.
The "Team America Secret Signal" was something I NEVER would expect at Top Gear! Never! :lol:

Agreed. The Team America Signal had me rolling on the floor! The whole episode was downright fantastic. It was the first episode that I watched completely...I usually skip the star in a reasonably priced car sketch. Had the feeling of the "classic" TG episodes from previous seasons. Looking forward to much more TG!

Besides as pointed out earlier, it's ground clearance is just an inch less than an Enzo. So I don't see any problems using it on the road to go to a track for instance.[...]
False Arguments don?t get better when repeated ... ;)

First ... an Inch is an Inch. That?s 2,5 cm ... that?s not nothing. Ask your Girlfriend about that :bunny: .An Inch less makes a huge difference getting on your Houses Driveway, into your Garage (mine is about 4 cm of the Ground, could be tricky in an Caparo) or cleaning the Roads of small garbage because you can?t go "over" it and "crash" into everthing that?s on the ground. Just coming home now I went over some Beercans and Burger-boxes. In the Caparo, you?d have to get out and take them of the road, or take the garbage home, stuck to your Front Lip. Or that type of old pavement made out of big bricks (sry, don?t know what you call that), I?ve seen tuned Golfs who struggeld on that. That?s not what I call "usable" ... unless you like collecting Garbage ... :p

Secondly, and even more important ... the Enzo can lift it?s nose again some inches so you can use it on the Road. There is a good reason why Ferrari puts that into the Enzo - they are not stupid. If you couldn?t lift the Nose, even the Enzo would be unsusable like the Caparo. It is NOT a Roadcar, get over it. It might be road-legal ... but it?s not meant to be used on the road and it wouldn?t work on anything else than a Track. Gee, I can?t even imagine it on a Autobahn. Apart from having to get there without Burger-boxes or small pieces of wood on the road, what if you get into roadworks and you have to go over these gaps when the old tarmack and new tarmack meet? Get out and build a Ramp?

False Arguments don?t get better when repeated ... ;)

First ... an Inch is an Inch. That?s 2,5 cm ... that?s not nothing. Ask your Girlfriend about that :bunny: .An Inch less makes a huge difference getting on your Houses Driveway, into your Garage (mine is about 4 cm of the Ground, could be tricky in an Caparo) or cleaning the Roads of small garbage because you can?t go "over" it and "crash" into everthing that?s on the ground. Just coming home now I went over some Beercans and Burger-boxes. In the Caparo, you?d have to get out and take them of the road, or take the garbage home, stuck to your Front Lip. Or that type of old pavement made out of big bricks (sry, don?t know what you call that), I?ve seen tuned Golfs who struggeld on that. That?s not what I call "usable" ... unless you like collecting Garbage ... :p
If someone gave me a Caparo T1, I'd happily live with that... Beer cans and burger boxes will simply be bumped away or flattened anyeay.

Secondly, and even more important ... the Enzo can lift it?s nose again some inches so you can use it on the Road. There is a good reason why Ferrari puts that into the Enzo - they are not stupid. If you couldn?t lift the Nose, even the Enzo would be unsusable like the Caparo. It is NOT a Roadcar, get over it. It might be road-legal ... but it?s not meant to be used on the road and it wouldn?t work on anything else than a Track. Gee, I can?t even imagine it on a Autobahn. Apart from having to get there without Burger-boxes or small pieces of wood on the road, what if you get into roadworks and you have to go over these gaps when the old tarmack and new tarmack meet? Get out and build a Ramp?
Well, the car has been extensively road tested, as various videos of it on the road shows. Members of the pistonheads forum has also regularly observed prototypes and test mules of it on the road. But anyway, if it has numberplates and a tax disc it is per definition a road car, no matter how much you twist and turn it. It might be a racing car for the road, but it's a road car none the less.

As for it's track capabilities, well it clearly blows anything else, short of an F1 car clean out of the water. I mean, how many road legal track cars can generate 3 G of lateral acelleration on road legal tires? This alone will justify it.

Really good episode, though I am getting a little tired of seeing just supercars, there are a ton of other cars that I'd would like to see reviewed that are in price ranges us common people can afford. Ie: The C63 AMG (That or the w204 C-class, E92 M3 (or the 335i coupe), new Sti? Evo X? Audi A5/S5? Lexus IS-f? Just some common sense cars.

[...]It might be a racing car for the road, but it's a road car none the less.[...]
But ... to take this back to the start ... my Point was, that the Caparos Road-equipment slows it down, wich would be unnessesary because you can?t acutally use it on the Roads.

I am not dening that the T1 is an astonishing Racecar and impressive enginering ... I?m not saying it isn?t fast ... but I?m saying it could be faster, and it is stupid that they?ve slowed it down, just to lable it as an "Road Car" even though it can and will only be used on a Track. If you do something, do it right. Get that Car some hydrolics that raise it if on normal Roads ... or throw away the Street-equipment.