Car Hygiene and some other stuff

The Disco was an exception to the rule. After a day of off roading fun I would thoroughly clean the mechanical bits of all the dirt/mud/rocks/twigs/etc but I would let nature continue to be on display on the body of the vehicle. I loved seeing peoples' reactions as I drove around town for a week or two in a mud-covered Land Rover. :cool:

When it comes to the exterior...depends on the season my Toyota gets washed a lot more in the winter than any other season...after spending money to fight off rust it would be stupid to leave the salt on. Outside of winter, I wash it far less probably only once a month or two. My interior...is clean unless you count a slight bit of dust as dirty. I rarely vacuum it but because I never eat in the car so I really don't have to, just a shaking the pebbles/dirt of the mats is enough.

I had mine professionaly detailed once it took 2 days and the car looked brand new (there are pics on the forum I'm too lazy to look). Otherwise I do wash, quick detail, wax and special cleaning for wheels/tires + interior. Takes about 2 hours or so to do it right.

I'm weird when it comes to my car. Not only do I not mind mud and dust, I actually like driving around town covered in dirt (especially parking next to giant trucks with chrome rims). I hate road-grit and will wash it whenever it gets gritty or salt crusted. I keep the interior very clean, when I got a trade in bid on my Civic the guy was really impressed that it was so clean with "only" 30K on the clock. His jaw hit the floor when I told it him the actual miles were more like 46K. When I did finally sell the car it didn't have to be detailed at all.

Oh, everything has to be in its own place in my car--otherwise I go nuts. If the cover over the cigarette lighter isn't even so that the letters are upright, that will drive me batty until I fix it. Loose trash outside the trash can is another no-no. I'd rather keep an empty cup in the cupholders than have it roll around the floorboards of the backseat.

But dirt? Meh. I'll worry with dirt when I have a car I actually like again.

On my old car, the cupholder lid was broken - annoyed me to no end and was pretty much its only flaw when I bought it (I added several later). I even searched for another one at the junkyard.

Dirt doesn't bother me so much, I just can't be bothered to wash it very often when its dirty again after one day of driving to work and back. Last time I gave it a really good wash was before a car show.

I'll have to post a picture of my detailing shelves tomorrow.

I like to go over the interior of my car every so often with some anti bacterial spray because sometimes you just can't avoid coughing in the car or something.

I too am more of a car cleaner than a room cleaner. My room has piles of junk all over, but inside my car is tidy. I vacuum it out at least once a month and wipe down the dash. But considering that it's my first car, and the condition I got it in (I still don't think I've gotten the dirt out of the floor mats, and I finally got all the brown/black grime off the interior plastics), well, I'll let myself be anal about it. Exterior, it gets a wash (soap & water) every couple of months, and I polish the headlights about every month or so. It sits outside so cleaning it more than that would be rather pointless.

Its sitting outside and its raining.......that counts as a wash right?

Funny this thread should come up again, I went to the local car wash and vacuumed out the interior. Sort of. Unfortunately it's been raining a lot this week so most of the sand that has lived under the rubber mats for a few months was too wet to be picked up, but the collection of small stones and sand in the back was soon gone.

At least that looks tidier now, and one day I'll get an old toothbrush to the metal windscreen frame. It looks corroded but it's just dirt, the metal underneath is in perfect condition.

Wash immediately once they start to show dirtiness, except in the rainy seasons, and hand-applied wax twice a year. Interior detailing in the spring, though the SEC is getting it done pretty soon, and professionally, this year.

Hmm...now that I got rid of the terrible beige thing, I'd like to start taking care of my car a tad better (provided other morons stop whacking into it). It came with a chrome tailpipe cover that's already looking grey and gross after just a month. What's the best, easiest, and cheapest way to clean that?

Scotchbrite pad and water, perhaps with some soap added depending on what the substance is on the tip.

I keep the inside pretty clean (don't eat in the car, don't leave trash, yadda yaada) but the outside is more or less left alone unless it's summer, or it looks like i've done 3 days of rallying. It's just so frustrating when it rains right after i've washed the car so I've mostly given up on the washing part until the amount of dirty crosses a certain line.

I let mother nature take care of washing in the summer, except for my one clay/wax job I do a year. Winter I buy an unlimited pass to my local hand car wash, get it done maybe twice a week to keep the layers of salt on Chicago roads off. I don't really care too much about dirt, but salt is the enemy.

When I first got the Saturn, I totally had the 'no eating in this car or i'll break your fingers off" rule. Yeah, that died quickly.

I vacuum the interior when it gets visibly dirty, my main thing is dust...I hate seeing it so I'll wipe off things like the gauge cluster, the steering column surround, etc that gather it quickly.

I wash the car about once a month or so, nothing too often or fancy like tire detailing and such...:)

When I get something newer, I'll perhaps do more.

I break fingers.

And toes, if you happen to be a weirdo who eats with your feet.

Last edited:
I break fingers.

And toes, if you happen to be a weirdo who eats with their hands.

So we are supposed to eat with our toes?
You must have very talented toes. This is the most impressive thing I can do with my toes
LOL_AWESOME_ARTS_by_k_a_t_w_a_l_k.jpg