FINALGEAR MEET at the N?rburgring (May 20th)

FINALGEAR MEET at the N?rburgring (May 20th)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Damn, afterall you're my means of transportation at least so I heard. :whistle:

Taking the train is just too inconvienient.

If I get another car I'll pick you up on the way :D

Have you done any calculations as to the costs of getting there from here? I've always wanted to go there and this is as good an excuse as any...

Ferry from Hanko to Rostock and back:
198 ? (car) + 158 ? (no cabin, just airseat)

2 x 800km for Rostock-'Ring-Rostock trip (a bit more for me as I'm going thorugh east on the way back):
very roughly 160 liters of gas @ 1.2 ?/l = 192 ? (or 240? in my case)

Hotels I don't know yet, but I'm hoping to manage with around 40-50 ?/night.
For me it's at least 5 nights, maybe more: 250 ?

Plus food, I dunno, 20 ?/day? (I'll just eat kebabs every day if I have to :)), also very expensive meals on the ferry (20 ? for dinner, 43 ? for full package)
so 200 ? at worst.

And of course few laps on the ring + tickets for museums and other entertainment. I'd say another 200-300 ?.

Sums up to around 1200 ? for me. I've been planning this for a while, so I think it's worth it.

On minimal program (just to 'ring, and back) It's gonna be around 700 ? I think.

If it's on the saturday or sunday i'll most definately be there. If it's the monday it's gonna be a bit harder, cos i have to get the day off from work, and i don't know yet if i'll still be working at the same client by then.

I can also provide a means of transport to other ppl without a car that can manage to get to the trainstation in eindhoven on their own or who live not far from my route to the ring.

Edit: D-Fence, if i still have the same car by then, we could do a 75PS vs 75PS race :p your spanish 75PS vs my french 75PS :p

Last edited:
<shakes fist at water>

Damn you ocean, DAMN YOU!!! :p

Great idea though - hope you get a good turn-out.

How dare Australia be girt by sea!! (YAY, I finally used the word girt!! :w00t:)

There's no road from Israel to Germany sadly... Maybe the army can deliver the car on a Hercules like Hammond did with the Jag on the sand?

I am quite interested

I am quite interested

Hi, I am french, I download Fifth gear and Top gear for 2years now from this website, and I am quite interested by this meeting ...

Actually i planned to go to the Nordschleife for May, so why not with Final gear ?

I live in Nancy, so I am not that far from the track ...

I would like to drive on it ... I am 20years-old ... And i own an Citroen AX GT (that is to say 85bhp for 700kg ...) it quite goes like a 2,0 liter saloon car ...

Send me an email : syl.car@neuf.fr ;)

I always wanted to visit the ring! I'll ask a friend of mine, if he wanna join me.
If the date is OK, I maybe turn up there, too ;-)

im planing to go to the ring at least 3 times this year :) so maybe i will be there as well. i canot say yet. depends mostly if my car is ready then. But would be great to see some of you in real live.. even i dont post much here, im reading at least twice a week.

Date is marked in calender so far :)

Edit: D-Fence, if i still have the same car by then, we could do a 75PS vs 75PS race your spanish 75PS vs my french 75PS

a) we both break down (realistic with a french and spanish car)!
b) we both crash
c) it gets dark before we are back ;)

Hey fellow North Americans, being stuck here is no excuse, I've been there twice in two years. Fly to Frankfurt (tickets are around $600-$900 depending on many factors) Rent a car from Sixt (couple hundred bucks for a week, or $500 for an SLK or Z4, I did that on my first trip DONT CRASH IT!!!!) There are dozens of small bed and breakfast style hotels around the ring that are not expensive at all I stayed here twice for 45 euro per night, and they have AWESOME food http://www.hotel-wilhelmshoehe.de/pages/english.html

I can answer any other questions you have. I've driven an SLK and a coughhyundaitucsoncough on the ring, both rented from sixt. Those cars were supposed to be a Z4 and 1series so don't expect to get what you reserve, just reserve something small and have fun.

Here's a vid of my first trip...
http://www.emkayusa.com/videos/Ringvid_complete.wmv

Hey fellow North Americans, being stuck here is no excuse, I've been there twice in two years. Fly to Frankfurt (tickets are around $600-$900 depending on many factors) Rent a car from Sixt (couple hundred bucks for a week, or $500 for an SLK or Z4, I did that on my first trip DONT CRASH IT!!!!) There are dozens of small bed and breakfast style hotels around the ring that are not expensive at all I stayed here twice for 45 euro per night, and they have AWESOME food http://www.hotel-wilhelmshoehe.de/pages/english.html

I can answer any other questions you have. I've driven an SLK and a coughhyundaitucsoncough on the ring, both rented from sixt. Those cars were supposed to be a Z4 and 1series so don't expect to get what you reserve, just reserve something small and have fun.

Here's a vid of my first trip...
http://www.emkayusa.com/videos/Ringvid_complete.wmv

I'd love to go, in fact I'd really love to go but I've read on their website that transfer/limited-time plates aren't allowed on the track. I'm not familiar with how they're used in Germany but to me that[limited-time plates] means rental cars. How does the 'ring handle rental cars and cars/bikes from out of the country?

[long time lurker]

Last edited:
I don't think they have any rules against rental cars at the n?rburgring. It's just like any other road with no speed limit, except they take money for using it :) So as long as your car is street legal, you're clear.

Rental companies may forbid you to go there in their cars though. You still can, but you better not crash :)

I don't think they have any rules against rental cars at the n?rburgring. It's just like any other road with no speed limit, except they take money for using it :) So as long as your car is street legal, you're clear.

Rental companies may forbid you to go there in their cars though. You still can, but you better not crash :)

So then, what exactly does Germany classify as a limited-time plate?
I don't forsee it happening this year but if it turns into a bit of a yearly thing, I can definately see myself going next year.

Does anyone have a photo that shows what roads in Germany have no speed limit? I would certainly love to get that experience out of a trip to Germany as well.

hi all,

i'm a fan of TopGear and this site for some time now, and since i'm form germany, that topic sounds really interessting to me ;). I'll have to check the date but i think i'm there, in case we are more than 5 ppl *g*. answer to the limited-time-plates: that does NOT include rented cars, they have common plates like my car or every other car in germany. u can get some 5-day-plates for a car that u're gonna buy and there are some special plates (so called 06er or 07er) for dealers or oldies. those plates are not allowed. i was there one time and its great!

greetings from germany
thomas

Ferry from Hanko to Rostock and back:
198 ? (car) + 158 ? (no cabin, just airseat)

Hmmm... I just looked at some rental sites and I could rent an E-class etc. for less than it would cost me to ship my car to rostock (or c/3series or a load of other interesting models for even less). Now that is tempting

OH MAN!!! You guys go now!?!?! DARN. I went there two summers ago and it was a BLAST!!!!! Everyone who has any slight interest in cars should definately go! Even if you have to sell your opposable thumbs to do it!

This is a website I have about my trip to the nurburgring in summer '05. If you want to look at it, click here. The story, pictures, and videos are awesome. The story will tell you some awesome things about the trip, and some ideas that might be possible solutions for those of you who can go but will be unable to take cars (If you want to go balls out around the nurburgring). If anyone wants, I can give you the number/website of the Motorsport hotel. It was an awesome place to stay. Also! Check out the videos on the page. The first is and actual video I took while going arounnd the ring (You should have to right click and save as). (the video cuts short by about 3-5 corners (depending on how you count them) because the memory ran out. It's still good for the most part though. The bumps tell the truth, especially when going airborne at flugplatz..... Andi (my driver) will really scare the hell out of you with his stories (you will know if you read the webpage), so much in fact, that I almost had second thoughts about actually going through with the drive... Boy I'm glad I didn't. (There are actually two places on the track where there are speed limits..... small sections, the first is about 50-100 yards, the second is a couple houndred yards. The first is at adenau bridge, the second is right before the exit back into the track parking lot. It starts at Dottinger Hohe)

So check out all of those. I wonder if anyone would ever know I am a nurburgring FREAK!!!! This was one of my major projects a few weekends ago. I drew freehand a map of the nurburgring on the computer (at the end it was 64 megapixels!!) and had it printed on 6 ft. by 6 ft. paper! Its awesome!

Oh how I wish I could go again. I would make plans, but I will be graduating about that time, and it will be interviewing-for-jobs time...... ARGGG!