McLaren espionage hearing

Probably why McLaren lied to the FIA in July--thinking they could get away with it being a premier team crucial to the popularity of the sport. Whoops!
There is no evidence to suggest that McLaren as a team lied. All the evidence only suggests a couple of people. Especially Couglan, Alonso and Rosa.

I can see Alonso being dropped by McLaren, and being barred from driving next year by them

I would like the FIA to explain how they came up with that $100 million figure, how they're going to use it, and most importantly, why they think they deserve it.

Dennis was source of new evidence

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has revealed that he was the source of the new evidence that prompted the FIA to revisit the spying case.

The governing body reconvened the World Motor Sport Council after additional evidence came to light, the core of which was an exchange of emails between McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa and world champion Fernando Alonso.

As a result, McLaren was thrown out of the 2007 constructors' championship and hit with a record fine.

Dennis said at Spa on Friday that he approached the FIA as soon as he became aware of the existence of the emails.

?Once I became aware that new evidence might exist which I did on the morning of the Hungarian GP (5 August), I immediately phoned the FIA to keep them informed,? he said.

Dennis added that McLaren is still considering whether to appeal Thursday's WMSC verdict.

?We now have seven days to appeal and are carefully considering the company?s position once we have a full understanding of the FIA?s findings,? he said.

Source

Read This, James Allen has written a brilliant article about it. Explains quite a lot for everyone.

My opinion still hasn't changed. McLaren deserve a big fine, but they don't deserve to be stripped of their points.

Toyota might.

Yep James Allen said basically what I was going to. I firmly believe Dennis had no knowledge of this and he will be shattered to find his team dragged into something so horrible. Be interesting to know how far it went in the organisation.

The FIA must be kicking themselves they offered the drivers immunity. To my mind Alonso and De La Rosa (especially De La Rosa) should have their superlicences revoked indefinitely. Also raises a question that why wasn't Hamilton brought into this? Did De La Rosa send the email and get no reply?? I think it more likely that De La Rosa knew that Hamilton would tell Dennis.

I expect some big changes at McLaren next year.

Dennis will get rid of Alonso, Renault may take him, but Toyota are most likely now. Maybe McLaren will hire Sutil?

Dennis will get rid of Alonso, Renault may take him, but Toyota are most likely now. Maybe McLaren will hire Sutil?

I really doubt they would hire Sutil, he still lacks a lot of experience, but as test driver, maybe. They will find a new driver in a midpack team.

Sutil is perfect for them. He's young, quick, German, Lewis's friend and is a marketers delight.

?Once I became aware that new evidence might exist which I did on the morning of the Hungarian GP (5 August), I immediately phoned the FIA to keep them informed,? he [Dennis] said.

Dennis makes himself sound righteous. Alonso tried to blackmail his own team with the e-mail evidence. Ron refused and went to the FIA first out of spite. We don't know what Alonso's demands were yet, but I imagine they have something to do with screwing Hamilton so Alonso can land the WDC. I can't wait for the reports when Dennis really spills the beans and we find out what kind of a bastard Fernando truly is.

What a mess!

I would like the FIA to explain how they came up with that $100 million figure, how they're going to use it, and most importantly, why they think they deserve it.

Why the FIA deserve McLaren's monetary penalty? Huh? Do you ask the city why they deserve your $200 fine or whatever when you're caught speeding? It's not a matter of who deserves it. It's a freakin' punishment. They can use it any way they please.

McL only have to pay around $40m out-of-pocket, as they would of been awarded at least $60m for their WCC points. But it's an immediate $100m net-loss for the McLaren camp.

It will go to their safety program I think

I didn't know he and Lewis were buddies, did they compete together in a lower formula?

77543.jpg