Our "own" car reviews

This plagues a lot of new cars. There is no reason that a Taurus should have so little headroom that I hit the roof unless I crunch my spine. It's a full-size car, damnit.

Yeah, there is. The new Federal rollover and crush standards combined with the heightened CAFE laws mean you're looking at proportionally lower roofs, smaller windows, thicker pillars and more sloped rear ends.

Gome home Europcar, you're drunk. That's no ECMR!

:clap: sadly, rebuild ALL the A7 :( so 80kph most of the way :mad:

Last edited:
Why didn't you pull up to the Eos to optimize parking space?

/narf :p

Maybe the Eos has gigantic blind spots while reversing. :lol:

Why didn't you pull up to the Eos to optimize parking space?

/narf :p

Because a car was parked there when I parked the Golf. Besides, that wouldn't optimize anything. That spot has been perfectly filled by a 3 series.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the Eos has gigantic blind spots while reversing. :lol:

The Eos isn't going to move for 2.5 weeks... And it has twelve ultrasonic porking sensors to take care of that anyway.

The 200kg ish less bulk than the Eos really make it fly :burnrubber: epic mother of all hot hatches.
A bit too bumpy for a comfy daily driver, but not unbearable. Almost too many buttons on the wheel... The fancy screen in the cluster is lovely.
Fuel was okay, hard to gauge if you're switching between 200 and 80 in the construction sites... On board computer said 7.3 :dunno:
Boot took two suitcases and two backpacks with ease... Stay tuned for how tonight's distinctly more 'Murican rental will handle the same :D

I expected more exhaust note and less drone :| and it seems previous renters abused 3rd quite badly.

Last edited:
I have a red 2015 Camaro with 20k on the odometer. I'm on the toilet so this'll be brief.

Visibility? None really when you're backing up. If you've ever driven a white van, it's the same principle for backing up. Side mirrors only.

Throttle response feels like a cable operated throttle. Very quick response. Auto transmission is great, paddles are fun but not really that great since the transmissions response to the paddles is like shifting from 1-2 on an old non sports car transmission.

Trunk space? It's alright for what it is, the entry hole is hilarious.

Sun visors? Worthless. Less so than the Patriots which is saying something. But, the car is designed to look like a chopped top so, what do you expect?

Seats, they're fine for an hour drive between airport and job site.

Ride? Bumps are bumpy. You know when you've gone over a bridge. The good thing is the car maintains control and doesn't swerve or wobble when hitting bumps.

It allegedly reaches 100mph with ease. I saw someone in a similar Camaro do what I believe to be 100mph right past me. Maniac. :D

Radio sounds nice. Though a color screen does not make sense if there's no nav or a backup camera.

All in all, it's decent. I just can't get over the engine noise. For a car with such power, it sounds like an ecobox.

V6 automatic.

So I went to this Mercedes launch thing and they let me play with the new SUVs on sale (GLC and GLE/GLE Coupe). There was other yummy stuff (new CLA Shooting brake, C class, A AMG, etc) but alas as time was limited (+- 20 minutes per car), I could only do 2 offroady drives and 2 "onroad" (although I sneakily did a 3rd one)

Sadly, since the offroady coarse was on a quarry, with inclines up to 45%, and it has been raining here for what feels like a week, we were not allowed to do the really fun bits ourselves, but had a driver do it. So the first 2 don't really count...
If you're a bit weirded out by the new names of Mercs, there finally is some logic to it : GLK doesn't exist anymore, is now called GLC (because based on C class chassis), ML doesn't exist anymore, is now called GLE (because based on/roughly same size as E class).

GLE400 Coupe
2016-mercedes-benz-gle-coupe_100493792_l.jpg

Supposed to be the new name for the GL, this thing was big inside and out, but also really pretty. It had a buttery smooth V6 engine producing a ridiculous amount of torque, but what surprised me most was the ride and smoothness of it all. it went up and down near vertical slopes (things I would fall down on on foot, in the dry) in the pouring rain without as much as a bump or a nudge. All the electronics do everything, and according to the driver you don't need locking diffs because the 4x4 system is so excellent. Downhill braking help is weird since you don't do anything but set the speed of descent and have the computer figure it out...
Really impressive interior aswell, some of the best I've ever been in.

(found out later this car retails at 73k? and up, which is surprising, but does explain a few niceties inside, aswell as why we weren't allowed to hoon it around an offroad coarse => rolled GLE = me broke)

GLE350d

Mercedes-Benz-GLE-e-8.jpg

Pretty similar, but a bigger boot and a more SUV ish exterior, more room in the back too obviously. This one had the Offroad pack which gives you air suspension, and by doing so, the possibility to raise the car even higher, and do even more insane offroady stuff. This one was on standard road tyres (!) on 21 inch rims (!) and still could do more offroad stuff than the Coupe did, despite the latter having large offroad knobbly tyres. This also had guages for how steep stuff was and gradients and such, neat features.

Downhilly bit on the slope looked like this. We maxed out at around 45% incline, I was hanging on the seat belts at that point

12032287_10153300502139545_2013864918991662658_n.jpg

Then on the the 'onroady' bit. here we followed a preprogrammed route, but were allowed to drive solo.

GLC220d
2016-mercedes-benz-glc-class_100514806_h.jpg

A nice bit of road opened itself and I planted the throttle, and because 4x4 no tyre squirm despite being in a horrendous rainshower. Good. Many things I liked about the GLE were also here (proper seats, nice interior, supreme grip and ride, the ridiculously smooth 9 speed autobox). It has settings for dampers/engine/gearbox which you can adjust, which range from Eco (if you're out of fuel and desperate to reach the next filling station, otherwise pointless), Sport (just right), Sport + (too bouncy and choppy over bumps) and Comfort (standard Merc wallow engage).

I know the 220d has 184 hp but it felt a bit weak to be honest, maybe because all of the cars we had driven in before were so overly powerful...
Also because diesel, all the power is in one big lump from 1500-3000 rpm and the rest of the rev range is a bit weak... which makes it hard to gently get away without snapping your neck. After a while the road turned into a very bumpy bit of cobblestone which we traversed at slightly sickening speed, despite potholes, puddles, pouring rain, corners, etc. We were unable to unsettle the excellent 4x4 system even a little. Impressive. 7,5/10

A200d "Motorsport Edition"
15c625_010.jpg

One of several "non SUV" cars that got a different route (much cobblestones + speed + low slung hatchback isn't a good combo). I was quite curious because they talked a lot about this in the blurb that it was a facelift + a chassis tweak to make it more sporty (even advertised by mr Hamilton himself). I was dissapoint, son.
Yes,as I said, it was raining, and yes the A class if FWD, but because the chassis is now so pointlessly hard and bouncy, it couldn't get the power down and only spun it wheels when accelerating, and understeered like a bitch under heavy load. May have been better in the dry, but I was unimpressed. Also, the 200CDI engine is good with such a small car, but had the same issue : non linear power delivery : all low down in the rev range. 5/10.

C250 4Matic
c250-11.jpg

200+hp, 4 cyl petrol + 4WD in a nice looking package? I was intrigued. It was the best compromise of them all, had buckets of grunt ALL AROUND THE REV RANGE, superb interior, comfortable seats and ride, it was the best all round car of the day. I was expecting a lot from the engine and it delivered. This one had the 7speed auto, which was a smidge slower than the 9 speed, but still nearly as good as any DSG. I'm still a bit fussy about autoboxes, because they never seem to give you total control (despite giving you M mode and paddles and whatever)... but this one was good, you could let it do what you wanted it to.

I was feeling pretty smug about driving what I thought was the best power/weight car there, until my colleagues came back in this :

12027542_10153300501974545_8186218543819441326_n.jpg

Dammit! Shoulda waited for this one instead! 367hp, 520 Nm torque, and apparently it farts fire when you let go of the throttle after flooring it.
Dangit...

Last edited:
Boot took two suitcases and two backpacks with ease... Stay tuned for how tonight's distinctly more 'Murican rental will handle the same :D

All the Americana was taken :| all they had were three identical white FL-plated A3s:

On the suitcase front, the boot does take both suitcases with the roof flap thingy in place - just. There's room for a few water bottles, and the roof flap thingy is touching both suitcases. Still, that's two more suitcases than the massively larger Camaro took :lol:
4-pot TFSI with the 6-speed DSG, err, S-tronic... gearbox has a mind of its own, seems set up very weirdly. It should be the same box as in my Eos, but it doesn't drive the same at all.
Slowest soft-top ... ... ... in the world. The extra cover in the back lifting up with the roof waiting for it to be done feels almost as slow as the Eos origami, not the Beetle's 9.5s. Also, why doesn't it re-close the windows after half-lowering them for closing the roof? Why can't you operate the windows from the keyfob? Because 'Murica? :shakefist:
Stupid rise-up screen is stupid.
Sirius XM :thumbsup:
1300 miles when picked up :thumbsup:

Most importantly of all, lovely to drive on these :thumbsup:

^ I like the GLE but I also liked the latest ML.

This is my chariot for the next week:

2015 Kia Optima LX. More pics to come.

Quick take after about 45 minutes of driving (running errands, etc.)

*The upcoming 2016 model looks terrible compared to this. Shame, that.

*The best way to describe how this (and the equivalent last gen Sonata) car drives is... "smooth." The steering is light, the brakes aren't touchy, ditto the throttle.

*Suspension is comfortable - not harsh by any means, but also not floaty. The 2011 Sonata that I've had plenty of seat time in was a good highway car, I expect this to be the same.

*Interior is a step above the last gen Sonata - Comparing base to base cars, the door cards on a Optima have a padded cloth section in the middle that a base Sonata (even the new 2015) lacks. The difference in appearance and comfort is noticeable. While the dash and door tops are padded on both cars, the Optima's padded trim looks and feels richer and more plush. Could Kia be pulling a Skoda?! Maybe.

*Oh satellite radio, how I've missed you! :wub:

*Rear visibility could be better.

Overall, I really like the car. Will it be a canyon carver. Nope, but I can see why families like these cars, and TBH...i wonder just how smoother or higher quality a Toyota or Honda would be? The Toyota Camry still has a absolutely crummy interior, the Honda's a bit better. The Honda likely is the superior drive...but by how much? Both will likely run forever, but the Kia comes with a 10 year warranty to make up for ownership fears.

Also, why doesn't it re-close the windows after half-lowering them for closing the roof? Why can't you operate the windows from the keyfob? Because 'Murica? :shakefist:

Probably nothing 20 minutes with VCDS and a laptop can't fix. I had some stuff reconfigured in my car recently: coming home/leaving home lighting moves to the fogs, cornering fog lights turned on, etc. Now I'm itching for a VCDS cable and license. I would play with ALL the settings.

2015 Hyundai Accident Accent GLS sedan 1.6 Auto

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

...well, then. Quick summary? A Ford Fiesta, or even a Chevy Sonic, is a better cars than this. That's said, it's not horrible (though I might be saying that out of having owned a Chevy Cavalier, the very definition of SHIT). It's this sort of weird, in-the-middle "meh" where it's just SOME car. Just something to get you from A to B...so long as A and B are both within city limits, because it's not what you'd call a highway cruiser.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The interior is somewhat basic and kind of bland. It's made almost entirely out of cheap, hard plastics. OK, yes, it's a budget car, but come on! Even a base Fiesta offers some soft-touch plastics so it doesn't feel so barren. At the very least it's rather well put together with panel gaps kept to a minimum.

Also, something I haven't seen since my old Cavalier and certainly hard to find on a 20-teens car; a steering wheel with no buttons except of the horn.

Talk about basic...

The seats are pretty firm and don't really offer much lumbar or thigh support, so it's a little tricky to find a comfortable position, especially since the steering wheel on this Accent, while it does tilt up and down, does not telescope (telescoping wheel is an optional extra). Also missing from this Accent was the center console storage bin (optional). In exchange, it came with an arm rest, but only for the driver (screw you, passenger). The arm rest is not very wide, though, so my arm felt a little awkward resting on top of it. You also have to remember to flip it up when getting in and out as it gets a bit in the way of the seat belt.

Rear seats themselves are also pretty firm and not very supportive. On the plus side, there was decent head and leg room for a car this size, though I'm not exactly a tall person. Those of the 6'+ stature may have a problem fitting in the back.

attachment.php

Trunk (boot) is somewhat small, but you can still fit a full size suitcase and a few bags in it. Rear seats are 60/40 split and can fold down, but not flat. The trunk tunnel is also somewhat small, so anything of substantial size will have a hard time fitting through it. Best to get the hatchback for hauling cargo.

attachment.php

Ride and handling is...OK. The suspension is a bit on the firm side, though it does absorb most bumps with not much fuss. However, it does crash about a bit on the more substantial bumps/holes on the road. It's not bad for driving around town, though you will notice on a long journey (really is a city car). Body roll is well managed, though expected as the car is not what you'd call "heavy". It does get knocked about easily on the highway, but I guess that's par for the course in this segment.

The tires do hold onto the road rather well. Does take some aggressive driving just to get them to chirp. They also don't make much of a racket. Not that you'll notice it, though, as wind noise dominates the cabin at highway speed. Could definitely use more sound insulation.

Driving dynamics are definitely not this car's strengths. For starters, the power steering is kind of rubbish. Even though it's not a heavy car, you do have to put some effort to crank the wheel while it's stationary. It does loosen up immensely once the car starts moving. Now, this should mean that there will be a more connected feeling between the steering wheel and the front wheels, right?

Nope.

Steering is somewhat numb. Not entirely detached, but it's difficult to feel what the front wheels are up to. Going around a corner in this car is really a case of turn the wheel and hope for the best. Also an annoyance of this car are the brakes. Specifically the brake pedal itself. It works like an on/off switch. It's difficult to make a nice, gentle stop in this car. Coming up to a red light, you press the brake pedal a little bit and...nothing. Press it a bit more...there might be something there, but you're still careening towards the intersection at high speed. Press it just a tiny bit more and suddenly you're doing an "ALL BACK FULL!" crash stop.

:|

attachment.php

While the steering and brakes are numb, stupid and slightly savage, the car does regain some civility with the drive train. Evidently this is where almost all of the car's development money went into because it's actually decent in terms of go-power. The 1.6L direct-injected 4-banger offers a reasonably gutsy 138 hp and 123 lb.-ft. of torque. For comparison, the Ford Fiesta with it's 1.6L only offers 120 hp and 112 lb.-ft. of torque. So the car has some good get-up-and-go. Throttle response is pretty good and the engine is pretty content and being revved high. On the negative side, it is a bit rough. It's not noticeable around 1-2K RPM where it spends most of the time, but you do notice it vibrating the column once you go past 3K. And above 4K, while the engine is shouting "FUCK YEAH!", the rest of the car is going "OH GOD, WHY?!?" (the whole car is vibrating at this point).

attachment.php

Also a plus for the car is the 6-speed automatic gearbox. Shifts are pretty smooth and it won't hesitate to kick down if you so much as flex your right foot. Does a pretty good job at selecting the appropriate gear. Like a lot of cars these days, it does offer a manual mode if you'd like to select the gears yourself. Just move the lever to the right and bump it up or down to change gears (ARE YOU SEEING THIS, FORD?!?). It's also pretty obedient when you choose your own gears with little to no hesitation.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not too much in terms of toys, though this is a base, rental-spec GLS. Some of the toys (if you can call them that) it DOES have are power mirrors, power windows all around with auto-down driver's only, central locking with alarm, manual HVAC controls, trip computer with average MPG, instant MPG, average speed, and the usual Trip A, B, and distance to empty and basic sound system with Sirius XM satellite radio and USB connectivity (no BlueTooth, optional extra). It DOES NOT have automatic headlights nor cruise control.

Yup...basic.

So, overall thoughts on the car? It's an alright effort, but there's definitely room for improvement. While the drive train was peppy and enjoyable, it's not enough to make up for the car's flaws. If you're looking for a car in this segment, I would strongly recommend looking at the competition (Fiesta, Sonic, Fit/Jazz, etc.). That said, Hyundai has come a long way in a short amount of time. They used to be horrible snot-boxes only a few years ago and now they're actually alright to pretty good. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the next generation Accent is a much better offering and a worthy competitor to the mighty Fiesta.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: lip