Our "own" car reviews

I've seen maybe six of those on the road in three years. Worked with shipping them so I've seen dozens there before they're trucked off to their new fleet owners. First thing I did as I got in one was pinch myself on the stupid handbrake and knocking on the cheap tinny plastics. The chinese makes cars that feel more solid than the Auris, even if the rear window explodes if you leave them out at winter (another shipping story).

Probably why Toyota dropped the Corolla name for it and went with Auris instead, didnt want to ruin an old trademark with that crap.
Toyota, you may want to look up "foam padding" and try that. 12 mm, minimum. Not 2.

Using a sticker for a logo I think means you have no confidence in your own product. Come on GM, a proper molded bowtie in a proper steering wheel wouldnt cost you more than a dollar. So a hundred bucks and you can keep on selling those things under 100 different brands.

Last edited:
I've seen maybe six of those on the road in three years. Worked with shipping them so I've seen dozens there before they're trucked off to their new fleet owners. First thing I did as I got in one was pinch myself on the stupid handbrake and knocking on the cheap tinny plastics. The chinese makes cars that feel more solid than the Auris, even if the rear window explodes if you leave them out at winter (another shipping story).

Probably why Toyota dropped the Corolla name for it and went with Auris instead, didnt want to ruin an old trademark with that crap.
Toyota, you may want to look up "foam padding" and try that. 12 mm, minimum. Not 2.

The interior seriously was depressing. That glovebox lid was unbelievable, I opened it with slight force because I expected it to be somewhat damped, but I damn nearly snapped the bloody thing off. The plastic of the little cupholders underneath the air vents was mismatching to every other plastic in the car. And the boot was honestly unbelievable. In the Astra, you can put small suitcases (carry on luggage size) in standing up, so you can get four or five in there easily. The Toyotas boot was so shallow and small that you could only lie two down side by side, and the others had to go in the back seat.

Yesterday I got to drive my cousin's Renault Scenic. She and her kids are on a visit in the area and she wasn't feeling well, so she asked me to take the kids for the day and make them have a good time. Since I had an Audi TT for the weekend, I had to take her Renault Scenic with the 106 HP diesel engine. I drove about 140 km with it on country road, Autobahn and through town.

Since I didn't get to take any pictures or videos, I put this small review here instead of making an own topic from it. Here's a pic of the car I took from the Renault homepage (the colour is right, though):

vngcfg1s3c1nv676.jpg

I make it short, because I didn't like this car at all. And here are the reasons why:

1. The seats are the worst I experienced in a car, at least as far as I can remember. No side support, no thigh support, too narrow, too soft and not even comfortable.
2. The engine. It has torque, But ONLY torque. Keep it within the torque area and it's ok. But rev it higher and you think it'll slow down while accelerating.
3. Unsatisfactory directional stability. You have to constantly correct the direction. At higher speeds (took it up to 170 km/h) on the Autobahn, it was rather sensitive to crosswinds, too.
4. The instruments. It hasn't got any. Instead it has a display in the center of the dashboard and it's all digital (which means in contrast to the instruments in a Mini it distracts you). And I mean EVERYTHING is digital. But it's not a cool feature! It bores you with things like a self check (!) before you can drive away and it's butt-ugly. It makes the interior look like the face of a cyclops from a Ray Harryhausen movie.
5. The key card. It has no key but a card in the size of those plastic credit card covers. It has buttons for the doors, you shove it into a slot and then you can push the "start" button of the engine. It is massive in the pocket of your trousers, so when you sit down, it hurts you.
6. The noises suck. I don't mean the engine or the wind noises (those are actually completely unspectacular) but the sound of the indicator. It goes "click clock click clock click clock", like someone imitating a trotting horse with their tongue. Much worse, however, is the chime, when you forget to pull the key card off the slot. The sound is worthy of a Tamagochi, really. It's hard to believe the car is French, because it seems like 10-year-old Japanese kids have programmed the sounds.
7. The build quality. The car has only 2000 km on the odometer but on a rough road everything rattles and fizzes.

There is only one thing I kinda liked and that's the ride comfort. That is actually quite good. But it was bought with a bad road behavior in general. Typical for a French car, one could say, but at least the French cars I grew up with in the 70's and 80's had the decency of being extravagant and kinda cool, despite of their flaws.

This one is simply annoying.

Last edited:
All in all, I shouldn't like this car, it's unnecessarily huge, drinks like a maniac, is quite ugly and doesn't drive all that well... But you know what? Today, on the roads we took, with my friends and with the whole V8-ness of the experience, I just loved it.

Great write up. Although I don't understand how you can find it ugly. It's just about the most inoffensive, conservative, boring looking vehicle ever put into production. There isn't a single distinctive thing about it.

1. The seats are the worst I experienced in a car, at least as far as I can remember. No side support, no thigh support, too narrow, too soft and not even comfortable.
3. Unsatisfactory directional stability. You have to constantly correct the direction. At higher speeds (took it up to 170 km/h) on the Autobahn, it was rather sensitive to crosswinds, too.
4. The instruments. It hasn't got any. Instead it has a display in the center of the dashboard and it's all digital (which means in contrast to the instruments in a Mini it distracts you). And I mean EVERYTHING is digital. But it's not a cool feature! It bores you with things like a self check (!) before you can drive away and it's butt-ugly. It makes the interior look like the face of a cyclops from a Ray Harryhausen movie.
5. The key card. It has no key but a card in the size of those plastic credit card covers. It has buttons for the doors, you shove it into a slot and then you can push the "start" button of the engine. It is massive in the pocket of your trousers, so when you sit down, it hurts you.
6. The noises suck. I don't mean the engine or the wind noises (those are actually completely unspectacular) but the sound of the indicator. It goes "click clock click clock click clock", like someone imitating a trotting horse with their tongue. Much worse, however, is the chime, when you forget to pull the key card off the slot. The sound is worthy of a Tamagochi, really. It's hard to believe the car is French, because it seems like 10-year-old Japanese kids have programmed the sounds.
7. The build quality. The car has only 2000 km on the odometer but on a rough road everything rattles and fizzes.

Those were all true for the Mk2 Scenic my parents had. So Renault learned nothing and made another turd like it. Tell me, how were the controls. Did they have ANY kind of feeling to them? Maybe Renault learned there (although I'm not getting my hopes up). Those horrid seats are also in the Qasqow my parents drive now, sadly.

I make it short, because I didn't like this car at all. And here are the reasons why:

2. The engine. It has torque, But ONLY torque. Keep it within the torque area and it's ok. But rev it higher and you think it'll slow down while accelerating.

There is only one thing I kinda liked and that's the ride comfort. That is actually quite good. But it was bought with a bad road behavior in general. Typical for a French car, one could say, but at least the French cars I grew up with in the 70's and 80's had the decency of being extravagant and kinda cool, despite of their flaws.

This one is simply annoying.
Strange. My father has a Sc?nic (about two or three years old) and I quite like it. Of course, it's French and it's an MPV, so it's not made for corners at all. Apart from that - nice car for people who just want a highly practical car. I found about 170 kph on the Autobahn a quite good and comfortable speed. Well, with the 150 bhp Diesel engine at least. ;) And you don't have to put the keycard into the slot at all - it just has to be in the car. I quite like that keyless system somehow...

Tell me, how were the controls. Did they have ANY kind of feeling to them? Maybe Renault learned there (although I'm not getting my hopes up).

Actually the whole car has no "feeling". That's a thing I sensed but somehow couldn't put into words. Yes, the car has no feeling, it's like a sponge or a piece of cotton wool. It works and drives but somehow you never feel attached or develop a connection with the machine, if you know what I mean. Driving it felt a bit aseptic.

The controls are a bit confusing, if you are used to other brands. For example I had to look twice, before I found the switch for the lights. They are embedded in the indicator switch. It isn't intuitive. I suppose one would have to read the manual to find out all about the functions. And I don't mean functions like programming the sat nav but functions like how to use the windscreen wipers. The stalks on the left and the right of the steering wheel looked way too overloaded. It seems like they tried everything to avoid putting any buttons on the dashboard in front of he driver.

Strange. My father has a Sc?nic (about two or three years old) and I quite like it. Of course, it's French and it's an MPV, so it's not made for corners at all. Apart from that - nice car for people who just want a highly practical car. I found about 170 kph on the Autobahn a quite good and comfortable speed. Well, with the 150 bhp Diesel engine at least. ;) And you don't have to put the keycard into the slot at all - it just has to be in the car. I quite like that keyless system somehow...

It's just that I think they tried too hard to create a Star Trek environment and what they achieved instead, is Gameboy. I also like keyless engine starts but this card from Renault is ghastly. Here's how it looks like:

pp_MJ2_575x392_conf6_neu575x392.jpg

Why?

Why does it have to look like that? Why does it have to be such a big piece of cheap-looking plastic?

What's wrong with how other car makers do it?

66155919_d5d579af3e.jpg

66155917_39595f8c09.jpg

audi_a5_my2007_4.jpg

ford-emblem.jpg

60277094_beac435eb9.jpg

57740474_e26116bb7f.jpg

They say the French have style. But obviously not, when it comes to the details.

Last edited:
I mean, the car surely is practical and so... but to me at least it offered no pleasure in driving whatsoever.

Actually the whole car has no "feeling". That's a thing I sensed but somehow couldn't put into words. Yes, the car has no feeling, it's like a sponge or a piece of cotton wool. It works and drives but somehow you never feel attached or develop a connection with the machine, if you know what I mean. Driving it felt a bit aseptic.

The controls are a bit confusing, if you are used to other brands. For example I had to look twice, before I found the switch for the lights. They are embedded in the indicator switch. It isn't intuitive. I suppose one would have to read the manual to find out all about the functions. And I don't mean functions like programming the sat nav but functions like how to use the windscreen wipers. The stalks on the left and the right of the steering wheel looked way too overloaded. It seems like they tried everything to avoid putting any buttons on the dashboard in front of he driver.

It's just that I think they tried too hard to create a Star Trek environment and what they achieved instead, is Gameboy. I also like keyless engine starts but this card from Renault is ghastly. Here's how it looks like:
<picture>

Why?

Why does it have to look like that? Why does it have to be such a big piece of cheap-looking plastic?

What's wrong with how other car makers do it?

<more pictures>

They say the French have style. But obviously not, when it comes to the details.

Couple of interesting points from my experience:

1) I have driven many cars, including both of my own, with the headlight controls on the indicator stalk. That would be it's "natural" position for me.

2) This is my key card:

galleryImage07.jpg

It's about credit-card sized, but I always just keep it with my wallet and it never bothers me in my pocket, being so thin. In fact, I would prefer it to the brick shapes you pictured. It's hard to tell from the picture, how thick is the Renault unit?

The big difference, though, is that I don't ever need to take it out; the door locks, trunk and ignition have proximity sensors :cool:

Last edited:
Couple of interesting points from my experience:

1) I have driven many cars, including both of my own, with the headlight controls on the indicator stalk. That would be it's "natural" position for me.

2) This is my key card:

galleryImage07.jpg
It's hard to tell from the picture, how thick is the Renault unit?

Too thick to carry it in your wallet.

The big difference, though, is that I don't ever need to take it out; the door locks, trunk and ignition have proximity sensors :cool:

Yes but you have to use it for unlocking and unlocking the doors with the Renault. It doesn't have proximity sensors.

This weekend's rides I checked out: a 1997 Volkswagen Vento that made all kinds of wrong sounds (gf's grandma's daily driver, and I had to check the VW out to see if it's safe to drive); it had 35000km on the clock, but according to the logbook it might've been on its third odo by now, even if it had barely done 100k - and a '90s Mitsu Space Wagon with 400k on the clock. Thanks to the 1.8 engine, it was quite punchy, but creaked like it was made out of styrofoam and made me feel like Clark Griswold the moment I set off with it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2010/07/14/DSC_3556.JPG

Interesting. I have a similar Auris at my disposal for the the next 24 hours or so, and here's my review. The big difference from "your" Corolla, is that mine's a......

P7293404.jpg

HYBRID!

Oh joy!

Apparently this should be the first hybrid that doesn't look like one,rather a regular Auris/Corolla, with the word "hybrid" on the back, and a stupid faux blue glowing Toyota badge.

P7293416.jpg

TBH I didn't know it was a hybrid until I stepped up to the car, so it isn't like a Aurisized Prius, and that's good. The interior was nice, in a non-threatening way, despite having many hard plastics.

P7293410.jpg

Why this car needs to have a HUGE dashboard is beyond me, I don't read many atlases while driving, but it's good to know I would have the space to put them. It also had a weird kink in the door, which I don't understand.

P7293415.jpg

I also don't get why they give this car a keyfob and then no place to put it. It has keyless go, so you enter the car and just press this bit POWER button,and are left with the keyfob in hand looking for a place to put it.

P7293412.jpg

I did like the fact that you don't need the keyfob to close the car, as you can do this with little buttons on the outside of the handle...

P7293406.jpg

As this is a hybrid, you can only get the 1.3 VVVVVTTTTTIIIIIi engine with 90 hp. For a "normal" Auris this would be sufficient, but you have to realise you're lugging around some very heavy batteries.
This engine is also only available with a CVT gearbox, which makes it a double first for me (first hybrid ever, and first CVT ever). This also means you get a ridiculously small gearlever.

P7293408.jpg

After getting the seat position about sort of okay (good seating is impossible), I drove off in total silence, which was very weird at first.
After a while I realised the dash was a bit weird, you have a charge section which shows when you're charging the battery while braking, a green section to tell you you're being eco friendly, and a "power" section if you accelerate hard. I didn't like the "being eco friendly" game so I tried the "POWER" mode. This made no difference whatsoever, other than the battery "helping" the regular engine.

P7293407.jpg

That's what they say, but it was no different than anything else. I also managed to run the battery dry after about a minute of high speed driving, so I tried something else : charging the battery by being SLOW.

I did this because I wanted to try the 3rd mode "EV" which means running the car on electricity only, but it always said I couldn't. It wasn't until I broke out the manual that I learned that you need about a billion conditions to be filled before you can use this mode : it can't be too hot, nor too cold, you can't have anything lower than half a battery, you can't do uphilly stuff, etc etc. Even if all those conditions are filled, you can only do 40 kph max and only for 1 km... the point of this mode is lost on me...

After trying for what feels like forever, I did eventually manage to get the battery full enough to enable it.

It was weird. Very weird. There is NO sound. Nothing. And yes, it lasts only a minute before the car goes "help I'm dying" but still, it does feel nice.

P7293417.jpg

To me, a hybrid, like this one, is flawed. It does not have all the benifits they promise, and a lot of drawbacks that aren't advertised. On top of that, the CVT gearbox is not a good combination with this engine. It just adds to the weirdness of going from complete silence to what sounds like 7,000 rpm in a second, without accelerating that much tbh.

Also, because this has a sort of KERS system, the brakes were weird and hard to operate gently. It has sort of a step in it where it switches from regenerating the battery to actually braking, which means you can't control it like a regular brake.

Even if this car had a "normal" engine, I would not recommend it. It has many problems that would deter me away from it.

- It is very hard to see out of, in any way. Because of the small side windows and high doors, parking is a hassle. The optional reversing camera this one had was cool, but it was a solution for a problem that should not have existed in the first place

P7293414.jpg

- the stereo/satnav combo was incomprehensible and SLOW. My 90? portable satnav I've had for 4 years is faster

P7293409.jpg

Aside from that it sounded crap.My bog standard Stereo in my 2003 Astra sounds TONS better. Toyota did include an AUX in so I could connect my MP3 player, but put it the glovebox. So everytime I want to skip to a next song I have to open it, reach in, push a button, close it, etc.
I'm fine with not having total connectivity, just put the AUX somewhere I can use it, like the armrest or something.

P7293413.jpg

- inside space was good, especially the rear is miles bigger than my Astra. bootspace on the other hand was ridiculous because of the batteries, and from what i hear it isn't much cop on the "regular" car either.

P7293405.jpg

- handling was strange since the steering is totally dead, and the ABS cuts in as soon as you apply more than feather light pressure to the brake pedal. You do feel the weight of those batteries in faster corners, and that spoils it a bit. The ride was also shockingly bad for a car in this class.

P7293418.jpg

All in all a decent effort, but not a good hybrid, and not a particularly good car. Just "good enough", combined with a Toyota badge and the sense that it will do a million billion miles before breaking down, will be enough to sell it to the octogenarians who will buy it.

Last edited:
Not with the one I had.

Auris Hybrid
That interior is a massive improvement on the one I had, in stripped out bargain basement spec. It didn't have the fancy gauges, the sat nav, the climate control, keyless go or even steering wheel stereo controls. The aux input was on the stereo rather than in the glovebox though. And yes, that boot looks pretty much the same as the one I had despite added batteries. Compromise for lots of space in the back I guess, but I still thought the boot was WAY too shallow.

small update : it appears the hybrid Auris has the 1.8 VVvvTTttIIiiii engine, which produces 99 hp instead of 90

if I wanted a large engine that produces not a lot of hp, I could have stayed with my current diesel and consumed about the same fuel.... even epicer fail from Toyota

Well, the point of a hybrid is economy. Which is why you buy a diesel. You still have the power, at almost half the consumption.