Post Your Watches

I managed to snag a new old stock one- never worn, just recently serviced. I love the watch, just wish it was bigger- but I understand smaller watches were more in with men in Russia at that time- the smaller the timepiece the more luxurious, etc. It's only about 35mm across. (INCLUDING CROWN!) But the trend seems to be going back to smaller timepieces in some circles, so whatever.

It's also LOUD. I can hear it ticking away across my bedroom at night. Kind of reassuring really.

It is not tick, is KGB watching your dreams for capitalist propaganda. Sleep safe and pure.

I had a dream about a watch... It was sort oh a hexagonal shape with the left and right corners rounded, metallic purple-blue face and smaller dials on the top left, top right and bottom right of the main dial. The glass was a sort of cupola, raised above the face with tiny side walls. Nice leather strap too.

The woman loved the watch. Although she did, annoyingly, use the default strap instead of the one I picked out. At the same time, I'm not at all surprised. :lol:

V__E5C5.jpg

She has nice hands.

First watch worth more than 20 bucks in like 15 years.

skagen_uhren.jpg

I like it simple.

Does anyone here have experience with Constantin Durmont automatic watches or Detomaso for that matter ?

the ones in question:
http://goo.gl/1g5pB6 -> says inside is " Miyota 8247 " , I'm kinda leaned towards this one

the other option:
http://goo.gl/ZZzN3T -> says inside is " Tourbillon Reserve de Marche Analog "

are they usable or I'm just asking for truble for these ?

^ I think are correct. It just looks like an exposed balance wheel .... they are sometimes called "beating hearts" or heartbeats. A friend of mine bought some cheap chinese knock-off a few months ago that had one of these things. A couple of weeks ago he dropped it and one of the little subsidiary dial hands came off, lodging in the exposed balance wheel (stopping it dead) .... sort of like wristwatch sepuku.

So the first would be an better idea ? I'm curious i have 0 experience with automatic watches. The thing that annoys with Quartz watches, the battery is always dead when i want to wear them. Due to my Job I can't always wear the watch (getting stuck, damaging panels etc.). So it would be most likely worn on special occasions or festivas.

Cartier is actually a huge player in the history of the wristwatch, they've originated many of the classic designs we see. I think my favorite story is the Crash watch. These are trippy in person. The crystal on these is a work of art in itself, in addition to being the weird organic outline, it's also domed and curved. Nobody else makes something like these. The diamond covered ones are a bit much to me, the plain polished cases look better as they show the work on the case. The movement (in the current production ones at least) isn't horribly special as it's a JLC 846 base, but it is pretty well finished.

In the mid 1960s, Cartier's vice president was in London and died in a car accident. The crash caused a fire which burned his body and the Cartier watch that he was wearing at the time. The piece burning on his wrist happened to be the tall and oblong-shaped Bagnoire Alongee. The watch survived - well sort of. It is sort of morbid that after the event, Cartier took great interest in what happened to the watch that was on the corpse's wrist, though I supposed I would too. They inspected it carefully and found that the case had melted as though it was in a Dali painting. Whether it was enough LSD or a deep emotional connection to the now-deceased vice president, Cartier decided to produce a watch that looked like the melted Bagnoire Alongee.

That. That is METAL AS FUCK.

0vyBZVb.gif

Except for the crystal parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Which, I suppose, are a metallic compound, so actually, yes.