Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

A MAN dragged a woman from her car and punched her in the face during a road rage attack in Melbourne's south.
The man tailgated the woman's car for three kilometres as she travelled at the 60 km/h speed limit about 9.40pm (AEST) yesterday.

As the woman stopped at an intersection with a freeway in Frankston, the man got out of his car and approached her vehicle.

The woman opened her door and the man attacked, punching her repeatedly in the head and dragging her from the car.

Police say the man then returned to his car to retrieve a metal pole but was confronted by a passerby and fled the scene.

The woman drove herself to hospital suffering from bruising and swelling.

Australian drivers are just wonderful people.....

Late model 460 or first gen S40? The 460 sounds better than a car related to a Mitsubishi.

I'd probably just avoid both. At least first years of the 1st gen S40 were pretty bad.

I have a sudden desire to require a starting sequence to be performed before being able to start the e30

it would be 1st, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, steer left, steer right, steer left, steer right, brake, accelerator, key to accessory, key ignition.

+1 first person who gets the reference.

I wonder how the police officer will appreciate hearing "It's alright, officer, I've got 29 more lives." when he's pulling you from a ditch.

Or his car will blow up shortly after leaving (Gradius 3).

Speaking of Volvos, how about this one? I went and looked at it, no rust I could see on the exterior and under the car, the interior is in pretty good shape as well, but I wasn't able to drive it since I stopped by after the dealership closed.

I think your problems started with buying a VW :p
Yeah, yeah, I know... But I still love the car, I love putting my foot down and feel that surge of power when the turbo comes in.

It didn't have any problems this morning idling, but I'll still keep an eye on it.

we've established that anything is possible provided with enough money. If so we need this interior.

Jaguar-XJ-interior-image.jpg

on this body

jaguar-xj-2009-250099.jpeg

Or his car will blow up shortly after leaving (Gradius 3).

Speaking of Volvos, how about this one? I went and looked at it, no rust I could see on the exterior and under the car, the interior is in pretty good shape as well, but I wasn't able to drive it since I stopped by after the dealership closed.

From my experience with my T5, watch out for the transmission as they are fragile. The interior will fall apart after time, but it will be noticeable.

Yeah, yeah, I know... But I still love the car, I love putting my foot down and feel that surge of power when the turbo comes in.

It didn't have any problems this morning idling, but I'll still keep an eye on it.

I vaguely remember when weighing make car faster options being told not to do an engine swap to that engine for some reason that my slow one would run forever or something.

Maybe the car has PMS. My car often has PMS.

@ Topgearfanatic: have the car scanned for Lambda (O2 sensor) warming, if so replace it. ECStuning has them for about $80
That took care of my rough cold idle...

Damn, even if you plan your trips properly that demands some serious research to find out the size of the stamps for each country you're going through :-D

Today, I am filled with hate for three people:

- Johnnie Walker for giving me the hangover of a god damned lifetime. Blue Label is, apparently, not binge-compatible. And no, I didn't pay for the bottle. I'm not insane.
- The idiot at Ford who decided it was a great idea to use a brass battery terminal. My car would not start because of the corrosion. Once I clutch-started the fucker (fortunately I was parked facing nose down a long, steep hill) I got to drive home without any electrics. Seriously. BRASS! Once I got it home and cleaned off the corrosion (for the second time in a month) the fucking negative terminal had lost so much mass that it's no longer possible to tighten it down well enough to make a meaningful electrical connection.
- The sonsofabitch who decided auto parts stores need not open on weekends, thus making it impossible to obtain a proper lead terminal.

B.C.P.P. is always a good idea no matter the nationality of the car.

Uh, Ford doesn't use brass terminals. They cost too much and are a PITA to swage onto cables. In fact, no US market OEM has used brass terminals in some 45 years.

In other words, someone stuck some cheap Chinese 'gold' terminals on your car.

Also, most big chains are open on weekends here, even in little one horse farm towns. And Walmarts are often 24 hours - you can obtain terminals there. How far back in the woods are you that you can't get a terminal?

Last edited:
Uh, Ford doesn't use brass terminals. They cost too much and are a PITA to swage onto cables. In fact, no US market OEM has used brass terminals in some 45 years.

In other words, someone stuck some cheap Chinese 'gold' terminals on your car.
They look pretty OE to me, the negative side even has an extra spade on it for the irritating (and also covered in corrosion and grud) engine bay ground block.

At any rate, there goes the previous owner's assertation that it was always dealership serviced.

My local (within 15 miles) autoparts choices are... Quite limited. We have a Napa. That's it. Great staff, too. Closed on weekends (except 10-12 on Saturday, and I was still incapable of standing upright at that time).

Closest Walmart is some sort of bizarre "urban" layout. That particular layout did away with all but a token nod to autoparts - one aisle with floor mats and fluids, and another with a bunch of car audio junk. I suppose there might be some battery terminals in amongst the shitty amps and "phat speakers". Next nearest Walmart is about 20 miles out, with a Vatozone in the parking lot. I suppose I COULD have gone there, but I felt like puking just standing up, god knows what driving in Pennsyltucky would have done to me.

I'll fix it tomorrow (and I sincerely hope it *IS* just the damned terminals, because if it's not, I'm pretty royally screwed)

They look pretty OE to me, the negative side even has an extra spade on it for the irritating (and also covered in corrosion and grud) engine bay ground block.

Lots of aftermarket ones have the extra spade.

At any rate, there goes the previous owner's assertation that it was always dealership serviced.

{snip}

Closest Walmart is some sort of bizarre "urban" layout. That particular layout did away with all but a token nod to autoparts - one aisle with floor mats and fluids, and another with a bunch of car audio junk. I suppose there might be some battery terminals in amongst the shitty amps and "phat speakers".

Having just come from one of those, they do have terminals in there just because of those amps and speakers.

I'll fix it tomorrow (and I sincerely hope it *IS* just the damned terminals, because if it's not, I'm pretty royally screwed)

Some would say that you're screwed, blued and tattooed because of your ZX2... :mrgreen: