Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Technically not here, as it's a "mild hybrid", and they don't qualitfy as "clean air vehicle" when it comes to special parking. Only plug-in hybrids, EVs and EVs with range extenders.

We get the plugin Cayenne hybrid version... Even so, the killer argument here is : my 3,0l v6 + battery pack has less co2 emissions than your 3 cylinder city car, which is actually right (79g vs 99g for my C1)

And as we all know co2 kills polar bears so...

Today's Adventures in Junk Cars: Craig gets a Mustang

Well, it's not for me, I'm holding it for a friend. No. Really. I am...

A friend, let's call him Brad, bought a 1987 Mustang GT about three years ago from a tow yard for $250. We drug it to my house on the trailer, changed out the ignition switch to one we had a key for and it started after tightening the starter bolts. It also ran really good. It was ugly though, way ugly. So ugly, we started referring to it as "The Ugly". Of course what do you do with a Mustang that runs good? You tear it apart to make it faster. We picked up a pair of GT40 heads from an Explorer, he had a machine shop go through them and install new springs, put the engine together and dropped it in the car.

Things took a turn for the worse here however. While straightening the lower core support so the radiator would set like it should we discovered the car had a fatal flaw. The frame rail was broke on the driver's side ahead of the strut tower. We pushed the car outside my shop with plans to repair the frame rail and get Brad back to driving this flaming turd pile.

Then things got even worse, Brad had a change of jobs, lost his house, got a divorce, etc. I didn't hear from him for nearly a year. When he resurfaced it was revealed to me that his soon to be ex-wife had at some point found a place that would loan $8,000 on this car. So now he's stuck with a payment on a car that's not worth $5.

Brad is back on his feet now, new young girlfriend, nice place to live and he wants to retire The Ugly and put this fresh drivetrain in something nicer. Enter The Ugly Too...

uploadfromtaptalk1455782464703.jpg

Not sure what he gave for this one, but I'm sure it was more than I would have...

uploadfromtaptalk1455783294734.jpg

We left after he got off work, drove two and half hours into Oklahoma to pickup this gem. After loading a car with no front steering, suspension or otherwise (luckily the seller had a tractor), BSing about racing, Mustangs and whatever else Oklahomans talk about we set of for the Missouri state line with a planned food and fuel stop in Vanita.

Fueling went as planned, but food is scarce this time of night in small town Oklahoma. So we had to settle for what had been in the warmer all day at the local 24/7 gas station. Brad opted for the mystery meat BBQ chimichanga, while I went for the house special:

uploadfromtaptalk1455783629243.jpg

Two thick slices of smoked Bologna with cheez on a dried out bun. Served with an ice cold Mexican Coke and BBQ crisps. Gourmet it isn't, food it might be.

The rest of the trip was uneventful despite seeing lots of wildlife crossing in front of the truck. The little Nissan pulled the estimated 5,000 pounds of trailer and car without issue. Posting an average of 13.7 MPG on the trip running 65-70 empty and 60-65 loaded.

Oh and the lesson of the day?

uploadfromtaptalk1455783873334.jpg

Last edited:
Should that be "The Ugly Two Too, or Too Two"? :dunno:

Also, nothing good can come from a place called the Wood Shed. Nothing!

Also, nothing good can come from a place called the Wood Shed. Nothing!
Maybe just "Too Ugly"?

The Bologna sandwich was pretty good in a white trash Oklahoma memory lane type of way. Remember I was born and raised in that cesspool of an armpit.

You would have made a bad situation worse. By spinning the wheels in reverse you would be brushing away what little uncompacted snow there was and melting the top layer of ice. It would also mean you would have to shift into drive or 1st before getting the wheels rolling forward, which would actually give you some steering and braking - as you can see at the bottom of the hill.

Spinning the tires more won't help.

TIL

Not too good, might end up bad, let's just call it the ugly? :p

Here's The Ugly as it sits today. It might give you guys an idea of A)why it was so cheap to begin with and B)why the new car is much improved over the old.

Wow the US Rav4 is something completely different from what we get

Last edited:
Actually they are the same.It's more a case of NooDle hasn't seen any recent ones ever and thought they all still looked like this

toyota-rav4-2000-5.jpg

Aside from the brand new one which is a Lexus NX clone, I genuinely haven't noticed them...

Ah, yeah. We had those too. I was actually looking for a manual AWD 3 door Rav4 (like the one pictured) when I was searching for my Jeep, but those are incredibly hard to find, and ones in decent condition are essentially non-existent.

Last edited: