Autoblog: Saab maybe bought by.... Koenigsegg?

god damn it

GM screwed up, so the government paid them... so they could keep screwing up

awesom plan thar

If GM really decides to shut down Saab, this would be a prove that this has nothing to do with GM screwing up, but with Koenigesegg not getting his gig together.

GM could have made unreasonable demands.

According to Koenigsegg, GM didn't move fast enough. That was their only complaint. According to GM, they stuck to the schedule in the contract and acted in good faith. I don't know who is right, but either way, I don't see a whole lot of unreasonableness on GM's part in this particular occasion.

I'm going to be pretty sad if Saab disappears. Yeah, they've lost some of their uniqueness in recent years, but it was starting to look like they were turning around. And they're a piece of automotive history. First company to offer turbocharged cars to the general public, among other things. Hadn't owned a Saab yet, but it's one of the brands where I eventually wanted to get a good taste of what they had to offer.

Does anybody know if anyone else out there is interested in buying Saab? Maybe a European, Chinese, or Indian manufacturer who wants a pre-existing dealer network and name recognition in North America?

Who do you believe here? GM was jerking around the German government, Opel leadership and Magna when they had no intention of letting go of Opel. What makes anyone think this is any different?

Who do you believe here? GM was jerking around the German government, Opel leadership and Magna when they had no intention of letting go of Opel. What makes anyone think this is any different?

I'm inclined to believe GM in this particular case because I can't believe they actually wanted to hang onto Saab. It doesn't fit in their portfolio at all, especially now that they're going to use Buick to sell rebadged Opels. I'll bet that Koenigsegg got buyer's remorse partway through the deal (and perhaps rightfully so...what's a tiny supercar company doing buying a failing semi-luxury company?), and accusations about "delay" saved more face than just saying "we changed our minds and we want out."

According to Koenigsegg, GM didn't move fast enough. That was their only complaint.

No they listed a few more reasons in a Swedish interview. Like the new 9-5 has some issues.

No they listed a few more reasons in a Swedish interview. Like the new 9-5 has some issues.

Oh, gotcha. I hadn't heard that, but that makes sense. I was expecting a second-gen-CTS level of love and care in the new 9-5, and at least based on pictures, it definitely isn't there.

That's just GT speculating, not Koenigsegg saying it is so.

^In an another interview, which i can't find now. B?rd Eker was quoted saying just that..

Last edited:
They speculated that Koenigsegg might not afford the warranty costs, on the other hand if they couldnt afford that then they shouldnt be buying in the first place. Considering that the 9-5 hasnt even commenced series production, commenting on it's future quality is a rash action in my opinion.

Merbanco and BAIC are still interested is the latest news, and the loans granted by the EIB stands irrelevant of Koenigseggs departure. As long as GM or another owner keeps to the plan handed in with the loan applications, re-applying for the loans will not be necessary.

Last edited:
I've heard from several sources that Koenigsegg couldn't pull together he financing. Were they tryiong to go through GMAC? :p

No Koenigsaab will probably lead to no Saab. I am disappointed :sadpanda:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Saab-9-5/245347/
Two new potential buyers for Saab have already emerged just days after the collapse of the sale of the troubled car maker to the Koenigsegg group.
According to reports in the Swedish press, both Beijing Automotive (BAIC) and Wyoming-based merchant bank Merbanco are now seriously investigating buying up the ailing Swedish brand.
Both companies have previously shown interest in Saab; Merbanco was among the last three bidders this summer, when GM chose Koenigsegg.
Beijing Auto was a minority partner in the Koenigsegg bid and, as Autocar reported, it was keen to restart production of the outgoing 9-5 in China.
Christopher Johnson, owner of Merbanco, is self-confessed Saab enthusiast and his father, a partner in Merbanco, founded AGCO, which was involved in a number of company turnarounds, including Massey Ferguson.
Any BAIC bid could run into significant hurdles, according to other reports in the Swedish press.
The G?tbergs Posten is claiming that the Koenigsegg bid collapsed partly because of worries about BAIC getting hold of GM?s technology. Saab?s revival centers on the launch of the new 9-5 range, which is based on GM?s latest Epsilon 2 platform.
It seems unlikely that GM would be willing to let BAIC take over Saab, particularly as it was concerns about technology transfer that helped scupper the deal to sell Vauxhall/Opel to Magna, which was backed by a Russian state bank.
But one positive for Saab appears to have come for the European Investment Bank, from which Saab is receiving a loan. The EIB has reportedly said any loan previously agreed with Saab can be transferred to its new owner.

How much money would it take?

Breaking news: Top Gear fan site FinalGear buys Saab?

Ehhh?

Well, we did almost buy Viper.