Spied: New 2013 Quattroporte

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
Updated.

2013-maserati-quattroporte-spy-photos-news-car-and-driver-photo-485133-s-429x262.jpg

Car and Driver said:
What It Is: The future subject of three-AM eBay Motors fantasies, this is Maserati?s next flagship sedan, seen undergoing final testing in Italy. Look past the Warhol-inspired wrapping paper, and it?s clear Maserati wants the new Quattroporte to be easily identified as a sibling to the recently restyled?and gorgeous?GranTurismo coupe.

Why It Matters: For one, any Italian four-door sedan with a Ferrari-sourced V-8 is indisputably cool automobilia, and the current Quattroporte dates to 2004. But Maserati and Ferrari are businesses, meant to earn money?no matter how much history shows otherwise?and the Quattroporte is important for their bottom lines. It?ll be a volume product in relative terms for Maserati and its sibling Ferrari, generating cash from sales and justifying higher R&D expenditures for all the engineering and components it shares with Ferrari?s road cars. Under Fiat ownership, Alfa Romeo will never be the luxury brand that CEO Sergio Marchionne dreams; thus, Maserati?s expansion with this car and the smaller Ghibli could be the Fiat Group?s only alternative for entering the premium market.

Platform: Maserati and Ferrari aren?t gung-ho on naming and branding their automotive architecture like VW is, but this rear-drive platform is largely new. Liberal use of aluminum will cut at least 400 pounds from the current Quattroporte?s weight, a portly 4400-pound cruiser in our last test.

Powertrain: Ferrari is providing two engines for the Quattroporte: A 520-hp turbocharged V-8 and a 420-hp supercharged V-6. It?s a trope to drive an Italian road car and say it sounds like an F1 racer, but there will be a grain of truth to that old story with the V-6 Quattroporte. The engineers who developed the six also are the guys running the program for the turbocharged 1.6-liter V-6 that?ll power the Ferrari F1 team in 2014. Unlike the F1 car, both Quattroportes will make use of the ubiquitous eight-speed automatic transmission from ZF, which converts torque in a host of Audis, BMWs, Jaguars, and Land Rovers.

Competition: Audi A8 and Audi S8, Jaguar XJ Supersport, Porsche Panamera.

Estimated Arrival Time and Price: The V-8 version will debut at the Detroit auto show in January and will go on sale later in 2013 with a price tag of around $130,000. It?ll be at least a few more months before the arrival of the cheaper V-6 car

I hope they hired some good lawyers because the resemblance to the newer Infiniti M cars is quite striking. To be fair, the Infiniti shamelessly aped the original QP, so those lawyers should also go on the offensive.

Looks like a Volvo from the rear.

Most of the car looks good to me, like a natural evolution, but that rear... looks like a Mercedes/Audi blended together. Shame.

Looks like a Volvo from the rear.

Well, the consensus over at Pistonheads is Infiniti from the front, Audi from the rear, but I can definitely see Volvo now that you mention it.

The color isn't doing anyone any favors. Pewter doesn't suit this thing well. Maserati should offer it only in black.

The square exhausts definitely have an E63 AMG look about them.

Last edited:
:(
I am dissapoint.

Why did they choose to show it off in beige? I think it would look great in black or red, though it does seem a bit tame compared to the current iteration.

Re: Spied: New 2013 Quattroporte

I always liked the Quattroporte....this one's ok but a bit blander somehow. :dunno: :(

I always liked the Quattroporte....

Well, it's just toppled off the top of my Dream Luxo-Barge list now. Just don't say anything about the XJ, Rick. I don't want to have to reconfigure this list again.

this one's ok but a bit blander somehow. :dunno: :(

"Blander"? More like "blender". Everyone above is right. We've got some Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, Volvo, Toyota, and others as yet identified (I think I even see some VW Phaeton in the shape up to the B pillar). If you blend something, you end up with a smoothie. The world should not countenance a smooth Maserati.

As someone who is absolutely, completely, 100% in love with the current generation.. like "If I won the lottery tomorrow the first thing I buy is a Maserati Quattroporte" kind of in-love..

2009_Maserati_Quattroporte_Sport_GT_S.jpg

I have to say I truly hate this new design. Its lost all its soul. Looks like something the Koreans would come up with. Terrible.

Last edited:
The side profile looks really weird... like someone had a fun time with photoshop and a Skoda Superb. And then they decided to add some Seat and oh god no o_O

Edit: looking at that picture of the old one, the body line kinda ruins the new one.

Last edited:
Proportions, how do they work? I thought the Italians knew.

Here's a quick "there I fixed it" chop: