The 2015 Mustang

That's cool, but I feel like we're drifting off topic.
EDIT: Sorry. I read that and realized. No pun intended. :)
LOL

On topic: I'm fairly interested in what the 2015 will be like, they have been showing a very steady improvement over the years with the V6 finally being a viable choice for a nice little daily/track car. I'm ok with the turbo 4 as long as they can make it non-laggy and similar power to what we get in the V6. The V8 option just has to be there though, I don't care if they can technically make a faster V6 (with forced induction) N/A V8 is just too much of a staple.

I had a '94 Mustang GT years ago, and while it was a fun car, I would never get another Mustang unless it had an IRS. I realize the newer models are supposed to handle much better, but I hated the way the back end would do that little side bounce going around bumpy corners, and let's face it there are a lot of bumpy roads out there. I don't drag race, I buy road cars to use on the street, not the race track, and would rather have something more well rounded. I hear the next Mustang will get IRS, and I think one added benefit for Ford will be the ability to use the platform to make a nice rwd Lincoln sport coupe.

The nice thing is that '79-'04 Mustangs can easily be upgraded to have a Cobra IRS (bolts right on).

I don't think I could live with turbo lag in a Mustang. I'd be cool with a turbo 4 as long as it doesn't have mind blowing lag. Also, I get the feeling that the price of the V6 now will get you a turbo 4 in the future. The price of the V8 now will get you a V6 in the future, and the V8 will get even more expensive. If the turbo 4 is, say, 18 or 17K that'd be cool though.

I agree with lag and if they do make the 4 cost what the 6 does now it would kind of suck but at the same time turbo motors take to tuning very well. As an example my old car found extra 45hp through a simple ECU retune.

From what I've heard the EcoBoost engines don't have much lag at all.

I agree with lag and if they do make the 4 cost what the 6 does now it would kind of suck but at the same time turbo motors take to tuning very well. As an example my old car found extra 45hp through a simple ECU retune.

They sell a supercharger kit for the current V6. You can also get nitrous kits pretty easily. I think a V6 would have more potential. A V6 can reach 400 hp with less boost than a 4 cyl. Tuners for the current V6 give it a noticeable increase in power and torque. The current engines a pretty tuneable.

They sell a supercharger kit for the current V6. You can also get nitrous kits pretty easily. I think a V6 would have more potential. A V6 can reach 400 hp with less boost than a 4 cyl. Tuners for the current V6 give it a noticeable increase in power and torque. The current engines a pretty tuneable.
You are talking about pretty pricey upgrades there, the Audi retune was $500 and done by the dealer. Also if you want to run any serious boost on a N/A engine you will need to mod it quite a bit including lowering compression. Not to say that current engine is not capable but a factory boosted motor is much easier to get power out of with fairly light mods.

A boost kit would no doubt require an expensive aftermarket ecu update. With all the costs involved you would save money with buying a V8.

I haven't been here for a good day or so, 4 pages about IRS... ok. :blink:

It sounds like we think a turbo 4 would be a good idea, if it's at a lower price range, yes?

EDIT: Or if it makes more power and torque than the current V6 without lagging to much.

Last edited:
I haven't been here for a good day or so, 4 pages about IRS... ok. :blink:

This is final gear. :p At least it hasn't moved to leaf springs and push rods... yet.

My dad just mentioned a USA Today article about the Mustang, saying that it would make over 600 HP and reach 255 MPH. First person to post a link to this article gets + rep, because I can't find it anywhere. I feel like 600 HP isn't unreasonable from the Shelby, but 255 MPH? Dubious.

EDIT: He might have been referring to this, though it's no 255 MPH.
http://www.mustangheaven.com/2011/2...with-650-horsepower-and-top-speed-of-200-mph/

Last edited:
My dad just mentioned a USA Today article about the Mustang, saying that it would make over 600 HP and reach 255 MPH. First person to post a link to this article gets + rep, because I can't find it anywhere. I feel like 600 HP isn't unreasonable from the Shelby, but 255 MPH? Dubious.

It's been posted over in News, and it's 200, not 255. Plus 650hp not 600.

This is final gear. :p At least it hasn't moved to leaf springs and push rods... yet.

If I never see another Corvette vs. GT-R thread for the rest of my life, it'll be too soon.

Somehow this thread got onto engines, so I will say this: The Mustang did have a N/A and turbo I4 at one point in it's life. Both were essentially the same engine (the "Lima OHC LL" aka the "Pinto Engine"), the turbo I believe was not well received, while the N/A version lasted, I think, untill the end of the Third Generation/Fox Body. The N/A 2.3L was also used in the Ford Ranger and, you guessed it, the Pinto.

Regardless, this is no excuse for there to not be a V8 Mustang. Last time Ford thought about having a non-V8 Mustang, the outcry was loud enough that Ford renamed it the Probe and kept selling the Fox body 'stang.

It's been posted over in News, and it's 200, not 255. Plus 650hp not 600.

Thanks for clearing that up, and sorry for the repost. Also, you know how I was talking about an engine swap for my Stang some time in the future? I think I know what engine to use...:twisted:

The current Shelby has a little over 100HP more than the standard GT, does this mean the 2015 Mustang GT will be having around 500 HP? With a retune and direct injection it might be doable...:think:

Regardless, this is no excuse for there to not be a V8 Mustang. Last time Ford thought about having a non-V8 Mustang, the outcry was loud enough that Ford renamed it the Probe and kept selling the Fox body 'stang.

Yeah, the Mustang NEEDS a big V8.

Last edited:
If I never see another Corvette vs. GT-R thread for the rest of my life, it'll be too soon.

Somehow this thread got onto engines, so I will say this: The Mustang did have a N/A and turbo I4 at one point in it's life. Both were essentially the same engine (the "Lima OHC LL" aka the "Pinto Engine"), the turbo I believe was not well received, while the N/A version lasted, I think, untill the end of the Third Generation/Fox Body. The N/A 2.3L was also used in the Ford Ranger and, you guessed it, the Pinto.

The Probe wasn't a non-V8 Mustang (though it's true that it didn't have one) it was an FWD Mustang.
Thanks for clearing that up, and sorry for the repost. Also, you know how I was talking about an engine swap for my Stang some time in the future? I think I know what engine to use...
Would be cheaper to sell your V6, get a 5.0 and put some bolt ons on it.

Last edited:
We had this discussion somewhere else. But with my Mustang now having...um... slight body imperfections... and the fact that it'll be 'soooooo last gen', it might be more cost effective to just do an engine/transmission swap. Either way, it's not what we're here to discuss.

EDIT: On second thought, if the new Mustang is getting all these major upgrades, I might want the whole package. Smaller, lighter, better engine, IRS (I guess it could be a good thing), and more futuristic design... do want. On the issue of 'smaller,' I really don't know how they'll make it any smaller and keep the back seats, they're quite cramped as it is. Though that being said, My 6'2" friend and my 6'0" other friend sat one behind the other in my Stang without issue.

Last edited:
The Probe wasn't a non-V8 Mustang (though it's true that it didn't have one) it was an FWD Mustang.

Well, it was a FWD, non-V8, Japanese sourced (based on the MX-6 platform, if I read correctly) "Mustang". That's not three strikes, that's three outs for hardcore 'stang fans! Not sure if Ford ever intended a V8 for that set-up, but from what I've gathered on the intarwebs, it would've at least been introduced without an optional V8. Remember, the Probe started it's conceptual life during the 70's oil crisis. Though it is interesting to note that Ford sourced Ghia to help with designing the prototypes.

Well, it was a FWD, non-V8, Japanese sourced (based on the MX-6 platform, if I read correctly) "Mustang". That's not three strikes, that's three outs for hardcore 'stang fans! Not sure if Ford ever intended a V8 for that set-up, but from what I've gathered on the intarwebs, it would've at least been introduced without an optional V8. Remember, the Probe started it's conceptual life during the 70's oil crisis. Though it is interesting to note that Ford sourced Ghia to help with designing the prototypes.
I guess we will never know if the V8 was ever planned but as I heard of the Probe start in life it was meant to be a FWD 'stang replacement and that along made people quite unhappy forcing Ford to change the name to Probe and to continue producing the Fox body.